Another player gone...

Mudisfun
Umpire-Empire locks topics which have not been active in the last year. The thread you are viewing hasn't been active in 2478 days so you will not be able to post. We do recommend you starting a new topic to find out what's new in the world of umpiring.

Real competitive JV game between the 1st and 2nd place teams... Top of 7th, 1-2 score.

With one out and R2, batter (player #XX) is called out on strikes for the 2nd out. #XX states "you have got to be kidding" and then loudly yells "FUXK". Player #XX was immediately ejected for his unsportsmanlike behavior.

In this inning the 1st batter was rung up and called out on the exact same pitch, outside corner right above the knees... F1 kept hitting that spot all night and hung 3-4 others out to dry on that pitch. Chat with partner after the game and he confirmed the pitch was over the outside portion of the plate at the knees. Unfortunate for this player as tonight (Thursday) is their last game of the season so he will be sitting and not playing. 

Other than that pretty uneventful game... both runs for the home team were on overthrows that went into the dugout thus awarding bases (2 from TOP on both occasions). Field is completely closed in but there is zero protection in front of the dug outs to prevent any overthrow from entering dead ball territory.

One more game today and my HS season will be in the books!

I appreciate your effort in preventing such language and disrespect from becoming normative in scholastic baseball. It's become such in all higher levels, but we have to do our part for the moral health of young people, and you've done so. Strong work. Many guys wouldn't eject for this. Glad you did. 

On May 11, 2017 at 9:15 AM, Mudisfun said:

Real competitive JV game between the 1st and 2nd place teams... Top of 7th, 1-2 score.

With one out and R2, batter (player #XX) is called out on strikes for the 2nd out. #XX states "you have got to be kidding" and then loudly yells "FUXK". Player #XX was immediately ejected for his unsportsmanlike behavior.

In this inning the 1st batter was rung up and called out on the exact same pitch, outside corner right above the knees... F1 kept hitting that spot all night and hung 3-4 others out to dry on that pitch. Chat with partner after the game and he confirmed the pitch was over the outside portion of the plate at the knees. Unfortunate for this player as tonight (Thursday) is their last game of the season so he will be sitting and not playing. 

Other than that pretty uneventful game... both runs for the home team were on overthrows that went into the dugout thus awarding bases (2 from TOP on both occasions). Field is completely closed in but there is zero protection in front of the dug outs to prevent any overthrow from entering dead ball territory.

One more game today and my HS season will be in the books!

Was that game the trinity league? Only league that has BU for JV in so cal is the trinity league

• 2 weeks later...
4 hours ago, treydawgmt said:

@Mudisfun - the only thing I'd mention is I'm guessing the part with the "x"s is your actual report.  If it is, I'd caution against using R2, as FED uses that bass ackwards nomenclature where he'd be R1 on second.  Otherwise, I like the EJ.

You are correct on all accounts... Since the majority of the people on this board are sane and use the proper wording I made that change for the readers sanity :-)

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
On Friday, May 12, 2017 at 3:12 PM, tpatience said:

Was that game the trinity league? Only league that has BU for JV in so cal is the trinity league

Really? What the heck?

12 hours ago, DVA7130 said:

Really? What the heck?

Yup, and guess what?  While we'd love to have all of our games be at least 2 man, it's not realistic given the financial situation in the schools, as well as the shortage of umpires, but we do just fine.  It cracks me up when folks from other areas of the country can't fathom working sub-varsity high school games solo when our association does it every day with little to no issues.

• Like 1

11 hours ago, grayhawk said:

Yup, and guess what?  While we'd love to have all of our games be at least 2 man, it's not realistic given the financial situation in the schools, as well as the shortage of umpires, but we do just fine.  It cracks me up when folks from other areas of the country can't fathom working sub-varsity high school games solo when our association does it every day with little to no issues.

Given some of the partners I've had on sub varsity games,I would have been better off alone.

• Like 2

12 hours ago, grayhawk said:

I love doing jv and under.  And the coaches are very appreciative.  Plus, there's a time limit of 2.5 hours.  And DVL conference games are 2..  So that means $39 per hour.  Pretty good money to me.

1 hour ago, Richvee said:

Given some of the partners I've had on sub varsity games,I would have been better off alone.

Even at the varsity level.ha

• Like 2

5 hours ago, umpstu said:

I love doing jv and under.  And the coaches are very appreciative.  Plus, there's a time limit of 2.5 hours.  And DVL conference games are 2..  So that means $39 per hour.  Pretty good money to me.

Whoa, whoa, whoa...  You get almost $100 for a sub-varsity game?

• Like 1

20 hours ago, grayhawk said:

I couldn't imagine reck ball being expected to be solo if it was kid pitch. 

The varying conditions across the country are interesting. 

• Like 1

Our LL thru Majors is always one man crew but for the handfull playoff games.  For Jrs on the 60/90 fields we will get a two man crew.

The Williamsport District and Sectional games will get two.  I can't say past that as we've never gotten past sectionals in my experience.  Of course the LLWS gets what 6 man IIRC

8 hours ago, conbo61 said:

Whoa, whoa, whoa...  You get almost $100 for a sub-varsity game?

No. $78. If you have a 2 hour time limit is comes out to $39 per hour.

8 minutes ago, umpstu said:

No. $78. If you have a 2 hour time limit is comes out to $39 per hour.

Did I mis-read?  DVL is 2 hours and that is the $39/hour?

Either way, more than we get here.

• Like 1

Our Delaware LL pays 1 Umpire for Rookie & Minor divisions, and 2 umpires per game for Majors and Seniors in both BB & SB $35.00 EACH.  Generally 2 games per night if you want them. Longest game I've had is 1:20 in two seasons :-)

:-)

Closest LL here pays $50/game for PU and drafts RVPs* for BU on the Majors and highest Minors games.  That is for games that the District umpires don't cover as volunteers, those are 2 man crews.  Below those levels are all volunteer parents.

RVP = Random Volunteer Parent

• 2 weeks later...
On 5/12/2017 at 11:51 AM, kstrunk said:

I appreciate your effort in preventing such language and disrespect from becoming normative in scholastic baseball. It's become such in all higher levels, but we have to do our part for the moral health of young people, and you've done so. Strong work. Many guys wouldn't eject for this. Glad you did. 

I'd sooner eject for, "You've got to be kidding!" than for the profanity. 

On 5/26/2017 at 2:27 PM, treydawgmt said:

I'd caution against using R2, as FED uses that bass ackwards nomenclature where he'd be R1 on second.

In our reports, we ignore the FED Bass ackwards nomenclature and use the common sense runner designations. Despite what may be depicted on the national news, our state office uses common sense.

10 hours ago, VolUmp said:

Aren't LL Umps volunteers?

Depends on where you are I guess... the majority of the umpires in my district are volunteer but if as the UIC I get into a pinch and cannot cover a game? Time to go to the pro and get an assassin for $50 to get the game covered.