Triple Play (Bos vs Bal)... Who makes the last out call? Why?

Radie 88
Umpire-Empire locks topics which have not been active in the last year. The thread you are viewing hasn't been active in 2541 days so you will not be able to post. We do recommend you starting a new topic to find out what's new in the world of umpiring.

Had a minor disagreement with an fellow brother on a FB group about this play... No worries.. I'm sure the same way I don't understand how he doesn't see what I see, he can't understand why I don't see what he is. It was kept respectful and we both tried to be informative... This is how we learn. 

Unfortunately we agreed to disagree but I don't feel like I have an answer to my question so I was hoping to get more eyes on it..

Here we have a pretty odd Triple Play from a few nights ago.. The original post on FB was about it being an Infield Fly or not, but please ignore all of that, they covered that pretty good in that discussion... I want to know about that last out and the BR. 

Note: There is a lot of incorrect commentating here. It's a crazy play unfolding quickly, so no blame to them... I'm sure they sorted it out just fine.. They just don't seem to do so before the video cuts.... I'd recommend watching on mute, at least your first view anyway.

https://mobile.twitter.com/MLBNetwork/status/859583512965517315?ref_src=twsrc^tfw&ref_url=http%3A%2F%2Fnesn.com%2F2017%2F05%2Forioles-turn-unconventional-triple-play-in-eighth-inning-vs-red-sox%2F2%2F

I don't want to muddy the waters with what I think I see and assume happened just yet... I want to know what you guys see and give me your best answer the following questions...

- Who makes the last out call?

- Why is the BR out?

- Bonus: When is the BR out? (this might change depending on the answer to the previous question)

These aren't meant as a hypothetical "who has the call?" question... I'm looking for actual answers to this specific play... If you happened to have been watching this game, that'd be a huge help.

Thanks in advance. 

9 minutes ago, stkjock said:

BR was out as he never touched first base and was out 3

I swear on both of my kids lives that I searched for this before posting...

Feel free to lock this down and I'll jump on that discussion... Sincerest apologies. 

The play itself is already being discussed on this site.

As to your questions:  BR is out either because first base was tagged (U1 makes the call) or because he "deserted" (akin to abandonment) (PU or U1 makes the call).

I would prefer the former -- the latter is more of a "call of last resort."

4 hours ago, noumpere said:

The play itself is already being discussed on this site.

As to your questions:  BR is out either because first base was tagged (U1 makes the call) or because he "deserted" (akin to abandonment) (PU or U1 makes the call).

I would prefer the former -- the latter is more of a "call of last resort."

B/R did not desert or abandon.   Bradley ran up to first, got near to the bag, but simply didn't touch it because R1 (Pedroia) retreated to 1B.  Bradley can be seen walking away from the 1B area in the video.     The weird thing is, U1 never signals an out at 1B and in fact, you can see him make a pointing motion to the ground as he approaches Pedroia... almost as if to say "stay right here..."    One thing is clear in this vid, that IFF was not called/signaled.  

• Like 1