UCLA Bound

Umpire-Empire locks topics which have not been active in the last year. The thread you are viewing hasn't been active in 2353 days so you will not be able to post. We do recommend you starting a new topic to find out what's new in the world of umpiring.

Hey everybody, 

I've been meaning to post this for a while, seeing as I've known for a couple weeks now. 

7 applications, 5 acceptances and one big decision later, I've decided I'll be attending UCLA for my undergraduate degree. As of now I'm planning to major in business economics starting in the fall. I love the big school vibe and the campus at UCLA is beautiful. 

Now for the part that interests (some of) you guys. I'm planning to bring my car down with me so I can continue to umpire games for my four years until I head off to pro school. I'd like to keep moving up through high school ball since I've had a full JV schedule this year. Too many rain outs. Anyway, if any of you work games near/around UCLA I'm looking for a group and I would love your help finding one. I know LA is a BIG place so I don't know what kind of range you guys service down there. It'd probably be best to get acquainted with college life before grabbing a ton of games, but school doesn't start until September 22 so I'd imagine the bulk of the season will have died down. 

Thanks for reading and my PM's are wide open if any of you are looking to recruit a new member. Go Bruins! 

• Like 6

• 1 month later...

Are you going to be living on campus? If so, I would either look into the San Fernando high school unit or maybe the South Bay unit  (not sure if there is one for Los Angeles city).

I still have a bunch of friends down there that I can ask for contacts if you like.

Let me know.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, BT_Blue said:

Are you going to be living on campus? If so, I would either look into the San Fernando high school unit or maybe the South Bay unit  (not sure if there is one for Los Angeles city).

I still have a bunch of friends down there that I can ask for contacts if you like.

Let me know.

Yeah I'll be living on campus. I'll definitely look those guys up. I do have one contact I've been meaning to email, so I'll do that today and let you know how it goes. Thanks :D

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Stk004 said:

Yeah I'll be living on campus. I'll definitely look those guys up. I do have one contact I've been meaning to email, so I'll do that today and let you know how it goes. Thanks :D

Who is it?

On 6/28/2017 at 6:00 AM, catsbackr said:

Stk004,

Enjoy college!  Don't worry about umpiring.  Trust me, college life, especially at UCLA, is probably a whole lot better than umpiring!

Or at least the view of the co-eds will be.:blink:

Congrats Spencer! It's a beautiful campus in one of the nicer parts of the city. 

As far as working some games, there will be plenty of them all year round. Now, getting to them will bring a whole different set of issues. You may (and when I say "may," what I really mean is "will") find yourself spending more time in the car than on the field. You're going to be living in about the worst part of town for traffic, so getting around outside of campus is going to be tough, especially in the late afternoons.

• Like 2

4 hours ago, BT_Blue said:

Totally forgot about that!

I've been gone for almost 10 years now. But the 405/10/101/134/et al really can suck. Hell! The 405 at any time can really suck!

And it's gotten worse. When I lived there from 1987 to 1999, you could still get around at certain times of the day. I was there last summer and it was awful all parts of the day, and days of the week. I wish it weren't that way, because it can be such a great place. 

• 3 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...
On 10/4/2017 at 12:32 PM, Stk004 said:

Do any of you work for the LA unit?

I can't recall. But if I remember correctly, UCLA would sit right in the middle of the South Bay, San Fernando, and Long Beach Unit territories. I can't even recall if there is an actual LA City Unit or not. 

Just now, BT_Blue said:

I can't recall. But if I remember correctly, UCLA would sit right in the middle of the South Bay, San Fernando, and Long Beach Unit territories. I can't even recall if there is an actual LA City Unit or not. 

http://launitweb.wixsite.com/webb 

Website is extremely primitive but the assignor responded to me in a remarkably quick fashion. 

• Like 1