Umpire 20 posted about how he met up with an attractive lady in the parking lot "Interesting Post Game Interactions".

I was wondering about another post game activity that I witnessed recently by my base umpire partner:  sticking around and shaking hands.   

Who does this?   My aim at game's end is to clear the field ASAP, get to the parking lot, do the post game chat with the partner (while changing), and head out.

I am not sure if there's anything wrong with it, but not something I would recommend. Especially if the game was crazy or got out of hand in any way. Couldn't image him hanging around to shake the hands of someone pissed at him, but then again I don't know the guy.

I worked with some guys when I first started who liked (and taught) to hang around after the game during the hand shake to make sure things went "smoothly". I was never a fan of this but it's what the association wanted. Umpire jurisdiction ends when we leave the field, so I'm with the philosophy of getting off the field ASAP upon the final out of the game. Whatever happens after I'm gone is between the two schools. Or at least that's how I feel about it.

• Like 2

The better the game went the quicker I'm off the field. Show up, kill it and drop the mic. I roll the balls to the appropriate dugout, or hand them to the HC if I'm going by him, find my partner and we're gone.

Sent from my SM-G935T using Tapatalk

• Like 2

I only shake hands if I happen to cross paths with a coach or player who reaches out and tells me and my partner "good game", etc. on the way to the parking lot. Other than that, I'm gone.

• Like 4

Get out of Dodge.  I will say thank you to any positive comments as I am walking away, but I am not stopping for anything.

• Like 3

Same here. Try and get out of Dodge as quick as I can.  

Had an interesting one this weekend though.  DH D3 con. Game 2 ends in back to back HR walk off.  No problems from that. but where my partner and I parked (out in right field next to a creek in our BEAUTIFUL vehicle locker rooms) the only way to get out was driving on a road/walking path directly around the field.  So all the fans for the HT were milling around directly behind the backstop in my path of driving.  I drive an electric hybrid so I am pretty sure a lot of people didn't hear me coming so they took their sweet A$$ time getting out of the way.  I would have figured they did that because I was their umpire, but their team just swept a one loss team.

As I recall from another forum, in Massachusetts the basketball officials are *required* to stay and observe the handshake line post-game. Not sure if that applies to all sports, but....poo on that.

That's basketball, @scrounge (I'm not correcting you, just conversing), where a game, whether close or a blowout, can erupt into a gang battle.

Wisconsin high schools, and the governing body of basketball officials, are always put into a quandary regarding basketball games in Milwaukee (in particular, but I'm sure it happens elsewhere), because in one much-publicized instance, a fight broke out between the two teams in the closing moments of the game (the dribble-out of the last seconds of the clock), and then the audience came down out of the stands upon the officials. It was bedlam.

Back to baseball, I am normally a very gregarious and personable guy, but inside the fence, I now cringe a wee bit when I hear a coach tell his team "Go thank the umpire". Noooo, I don't want thanks and handshakes from fourteen 12-year olds (soon to be twenty-five of the little buggers, because the other team follows suit)... I just want your coach to sign this silly scorecard so I can get the heckouttahere and get on to the next thing on my itinerary. So if a pack of ballplayers try and shake hands or fist-bump with me, I now just address and acknowledge the lot of them with something like, "Gotcha guys. Well done team", as I start making my way towards an exit.

High school players are somewhat appreciative, but they understand that we're not there to socialize. In a sanctioned high school game, the umpire crew is already at or thru the gate (or should be) by the time the first handshakes are exchanged anyway, because the school officials and home scorekeeper are taking care of those particulars.

The higher levels you go, the less interaction and engagement one should have inside the fence. Certainly, during the game, if you (as a BU) are chattin' with the 1BC about this-or-that prior to live-ball activity, that's pretty innocent and innocuous. But as soon as the game is over, unlike any of the participants who may stand around and catch up, the umpires should remove themselves from that context and the confines of the field. 

• Like 4

12 hours ago, BrianC14 said:

I was wondering about another post game activity that I witnessed recently by my base umpire partner:  sticking around and shaking hands.   

I want to get with my partner and hit the gate, but if my partner pulls this, I'll meet him at the locker room...and then tell him why I left him.

• Like 1

20 hours ago, scrounge said:

As I recall from another forum, in Massachusetts the basketball officials are *required* to stay and observe the handshake line post-game. Not sure if that applies to all sports, but....poo on that.

You are correct and it applies to at least baseball and basketball, the two sports I work. We fought it but really wasn't anything we could do once state decided it.

Funny this topic came up.. Until this season, I would have iterated exactly@MadMax, where maybe the little guys all want (or are encouraged) to cut you off at the gate and shake your hand and say thanks, with less and less of that as the level goes up, to the point at HS I would give the catchers my thanks, wave to coaches, roll the balls to the home dugout, and move out.. But for some reason, this season, in a handful of HS games I've had coaches telling the players to go thank Blue, and I was feeling akward standing there like at a wedding reception line.. Even had one coach who i had a battle of wills over rules and who I warned during the game corner me and thank me before I could bolt. Strange, maybe it was a discussion point at the preseason coaches meeting? Anyhow, I usually will return the favor but never initiate at all levels, and Im going to try the "one group wave" move next time!

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G891A using Tapatalk

Getting out of there is all good except when you have to have both coaches sign score cards and they usually won't do that until after the handshakes are done.  BU usually handles those duties for us (we don't keep lineup cards because most teams do continuous batting order) and PU is told to wait on partner so we can still walk off the field together.  Not the most optimum of situations, but it is what it is.

Finished my game yesterday and as I was walking to the car quickly checked on the lower level game still in progress... The PU was interesting so I went and changed clothes and went back to watch a little staying about 75' back from the field so no one took notice or recognized me from earlier. The PU was wearing a body camera with belt bag battery which explained why when I was within earshot of the stands at my game a few people asked why I was not wearing a camera like 'the other guy'. At that time I had no idea what they were talking about... ohh boy.

Game ends and Mr. all about me starts going to each team to shake hands etc... I found this funny since he was asking the score keeper between pitches when something happened (steal for example) what was the count etc... I just shuddered watching this and made my way back to the car... it hurt to watch. I had an opportunity to ask him about it and he stated it was for him to cover himself etc... 

Just painful... I finish the game, roll the balls, either head direct to the exit if solo or meet my partner and head for the exit stopping only to open the gate to get out!

• Like 2