ricka56

Exhausted

On 4/13/2017 at 2:28 PM, JamesC said:

Rarely do I get a pitcher over 17-18 seconds after receiving the ball so I haven't had to address the matter yet, but I think it's good to know the rule is in place to avoid the aforementioned 3.5 hour games.

Since this post, I still haven't had to address it yet. I like to keep the game moving.

I'm sure you're a great guy, I am just having a difficult time understanding why someone would come to the board asking for advice on how to handle this particular situation and then when they are given a rule to support the advice (20-second rule) they decide to call it impractical and refuse to apply the rule if/when necessary. Don't get me wrong, I know there are a handful of rules in the book that seem to stretch it and there are many umpires who choose to ignore certain things. A lot of us understand the intention of certain rules and also understand how real-life baseball games work, so we do understand that there are situations where things seem impractical. I don't disagree with you that the 20-second rule is a bit strict and is rarely (I've never seen anyone call it) called on a pitcher, but it is a tool (rule) in our arsenal if we need it. 

The 20-second rule is a straightforward way for you to address the delay you're describing in a supported approach. While I'm sure you would get plenty of argument if you assessed this penalty, you're 100% supported by the book and they don't have a leg to stand on unless they want to say you don't have an official timer/watch to assess the penalty. Then it's your word against theirs I suppose at that point.

And so far (8+ years) I haven't lost the count yet. **Knock on wood** since I have the dish on a big district championship 4A game tonight with the series tied 1-1. 

57 minutes ago, JamesC said:

Since this post, I still haven't had to address it yet. I like to keep the game moving.

I am just having a difficult time understanding why someone would come to the board asking for advice on how to handle this particular situation and then when they are given a rule to support the advice (20-second rule) they decide to call it impractical and refuse to apply the rule if/when necessary. Don't get me wrong, I know there are a handful of rules in the book that seem to stretch it and there are many umpires who choose to ignore certain things. A lot of us understand the intention of certain rules and also understand how real-life baseball games work, so we do understand that there are situations where things seem impractical. I don't disagree with you that the 20-second rule is a bit strict and is rarely (I've never seen anyone call it) called on a pitcher, but it is a tool (rule) in our arsenal if we need it. 

The 20-second rule is a straightforward way for you to address the delay you're describing in a supported approach. While I'm sure you would get plenty of argument if you assessed this penalty, you're 100% supported by the book and they don't have a leg to stand on unless they want to say you don't have an official timer/watch to assess the penalty. Then it's your word against theirs I suppose at that point.

1. You have never used this rule (for good reason), but you give credibility to using it. I wouldn't talk the talk, if I hadn't walked the walk.
2. I do appreciate suggestions made, but if I think that one is impractical or will cause more trouble than its worth, then I will point that out...I couldn't let it go, less other readers think it is a good idea. 
3. Just because using a solution is supportable by the rules doesn't mean it should be used. 

59 minutes ago, JamesC said:

And so far (8+ years) I haven't lost the count yet. **Knock on wood** since I have the dish on a big district championship 4A game tonight with the series tied 1-1. 

You'd be the first umpire that I know that has never lost the count...Congrats

I guess we'll have to agree to disagree on this one. Just because I haven't had to use a rule doesn't mean it doesn't have credibility. I've never had to eject a player for using a foreign substance, but that doesn't give the rule any less credibility. 

• Like 1