Exhausted

ricka56
Umpire-Empire locks topics which have not been active in the last year. The thread you are viewing hasn't been active in 2538 days so you will not be able to post. We do recommend you starting a new topic to find out what's new in the world of umpiring.

Team A was mostly doing this, but team B was guilty also. F1 in contact with the rubber (runners on and off). Batter watching F1 for pitch delivery. I'm watching F1 in contact. In my peripheral vision, I can see F2 looking in the dugout for coaches pitch signal a long time. By the time F1 is ready to deliver (without further delay), the batter is frozen (so am I) and asks for time...granted more than a dozen times and TIME could have been requested dozens more.

The question is, what can be done about it. Do I do say something, or just suck it up and endure the game dragging on. It may be that HC's strategy, I dunno...he isn't a newbie HC. What recourse do we have ?  

I don't work or know about NFHS, but under OBR 5.07(c), with no one on, it could be a 12-second delay ball call. I'd probably do some preventive officiating first, however.

I hate those sign wristbands that everyone wears these days. Catchers look into the dugout for a sign from the coach, then look down at their wrist, then signal to the pitcher. Same with batters--they look to the 3d base coach, then down at their wrist, and only then settle into their batting stance. Endless. It would speed games up, I think, if they were outlawed. 

16 minutes ago, ricka56 said:

Team A was mostly doing this, but team B was guilty also. F1 in contact with the rubber (runners on and off). Batter watching F1 for pitch delivery. I'm watching F1 in contact. In my peripheral vision, I can see F2 looking in the dugout for coaches pitch signal a long time. By the time F1 is ready to deliver (without further delay), the batter is frozen (so am I) and asks for time...granted more than a dozen times and TIME could have been requested dozens more.

The question is, what can be done about it. Do I do say something, or just suck it up and endure the game dragging on. It may be that HC's strategy, I dunno...he isn't a newbie HC. What recourse do we have ?  

Tell the batter not to get ready so soon -- you won't let the pitcher quick pitch.  If needed use a small verbal to tell the batter when F2 has the sign so the batter can get set as he sees fit.

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, catsbackr said:

Then, talk to the coach and at least threaten to start calling balls.

If you don't want to do that, just learn to live with it.

I don't threaten to do things that I don't plan to follow-thru on. Besides, the ball penalty is only an option with no runners on-base. I couldn't threaten to call penalty balls with runners on base.

Instead of living with it, I like noumpere's workable suggestion. 

I must have misunderstood the rule. I thought the ball call applied at all times, regardless of runner situation? I was under the impression the pitcher had 20-seconds to take action after receiving the ball; whether this be a pickoff attempt, pitch, or whatever else you would consider a play. I don't have the FED rule book with me, does anyone have that rule reference readily available?

8 minutes ago, JamesC said:

I must have misunderstood the rule. I thought the ball call applied at all times, regardless of runner situation? I was under the impression the pitcher had 20-seconds to take action after receiving the ball; whether this be a pickoff attempt, pitch, or whatever else you would consider a play. I don't have the FED rule book with me, does anyone have that rule reference readily available?

6-2-2c

failing to pitch or make or attempt a play, including a legal feint, within 20 seconds after he has received the ball. 

Penalty: the batter shall be awarded one ball

49 minutes ago, Tborze said:

6-2-2c

failing to pitch or make or attempt a play, including a legal feint, within 20 seconds after he has received the ball. 

Penalty: the batter shall be awarded one ball

impractical ... never even heard of it being done. And a sure fire way to turn your game to crap.

9 minutes ago, ricka56 said:

impractical ... never even heard of it being done. And a sure fire way to turn your game to crap.

I've never called it, but I would assume if you're at the point where pitchers are taking so long that you're even considering counting down and calling balls,the game has already gone to crap. ;)

Just now, Richvee said:

I've never called it, but I would assume if you're at the point where pitchers are taking so long that you're even considering counting down and calling balls,the game has already gone to crap. ;)

It still was a competitive game until late ... just exhausting. My prescription strength Geritol was no match. 

8 minutes ago, ricka56 said:

It still was a competitive game until late

Then I'd say we have to deal with it. I agree if the game is competitive, and the only one who's ticked off about the pace is us, we've got to grin and bear it.

Plan A

4 hours ago, noumpere said:

Tell the batter not to get ready so soon -- you won't let the pitcher quick pitch.  If needed use a small verbal to tell the batter when F2 has the sign so the batter can get set as he sees fit.

If DHC complains that I am helping the offense and screwing with his freeze the batter strategy, then go to Plan B

4 hours ago, catsbackr said:

After 20 seconds, start calling balls.

9 hours ago, LRZ said:

I don't work or know about NFHS, but under OBR 5.07(c), with no one on, it could be a 12-second delay ball call. I'd probably do some preventive officiating first, however.

I hate those sign wristbands that everyone wears these days. Catchers look into the dugout for a sign from the coach, then look down at their wrist, then signal to the pitcher. Same with batters--they look to the 3d base coach, then down at their wrist, and only then settle into their batting stance. Endless. It would speed games up, I think, if they were outlawed. 

A team I played in HS had a system where the *pitcher* would wear a covered up wristband and step off the mound after every pitcher and listen to the coach yell out a series of 3 numbers for the sign. So dumb, completely ruins any flow of the game

It is inexperience either the coach sending the signals in or the catcher translating them to the pitcher. Many colleges use them and there is not any delay. The catcher needs to get down and look right away, instead of waiting.

• Like 1

Was on the bases for a 3 hour 30 min. varsity game last night (competitive...we suspended the game tied at 5 after 7 innings due to low light), and my partner was very concerned it was his fault. All in all, it really wasn't... it was this same stuff others are experiencing. 

I for one, am going to reduce how often I give time to a batter, especially those repeat offenders, and I may start encouraging catchers to pick up the pace with signals. 

14 minutes ago, kstrunk said:

Was on the bases for a 3 hour 30 min. varsity game last night (competitive...we suspended the game tied at 5 after 7 innings due to low light), and my partner was very concerned it was his fault. All in all, it really wasn't... it was this same stuff others are experiencing. 

I for one, am going to reduce how often I give time to a batter, especially those repeat offenders, and I may start encouraging catchers to pick up the pace with signals. 

OMG!  3 hour, 30 minute, 7-inning game?  I was hoping the score was like 18-17 or something.

1 minute ago, catsbackr said:

I was hoping the score was like 18-17 or something.

Tell me about it! Not even close! Slow pitchers, and batters 'owning the box'. PU actually did NOT give time to every batter that asked, but he did for most, and there was a bunch, because of the slow pitching. 

Had the same in a JV game on Monday.  3hr 26min, 7 inning 22-21.  Home team kicked a field goal in OT to win.  The JV teams looked worse than the Bad News Bears.  I'm glad that the 1 person on each team that COULD catch a ball, was in front of me wearing catchers gear.  Anything close enough to call a strike, both teams hit......but the opponent just couldn't catch.  DIDN'T MATTER!!!   Fly ball, grounders.....bouncing......NOTHING!!

On 4/12/2017 at 1:03 PM, ricka56 said:

I guess I'm confused why this is impractical and how it's going to turn the game to crap. This is a rule to the game and it is not uncommon. There are 20-second clocks in the majority of your major college stadiums (if not all) and there are even 20-second clocks in your MLB stadiums. This rule is to assist in moving the game along, which you're asking for assistance with through this thread. I'm normally very lenient with this and even when I feel like a pitcher is taking too long I'll start to keep a mental track of their time in my head. Rarely do I get a pitcher over 17-18 seconds after receiving the ball so I haven't had to address the matter yet, but I think it's good to know the rule is in place to avoid the aforementioned 3.5 hour games. If the plate guy is working the game as he should be and has good game management, you shouldn't be out there that long. We completed a 10-inning game last week in 2 hours and 10 minutes. None of that BS between innings where the pitcher wants to hang out in the dugout until the catcher is ready because he was the last out. Not my problem. There are 8 other people on the bench who can warm up the pitcher. In those cases, when the pitcher walks out thinking he's about to warm up after hanging out in the dugout for 2 minutes, I'm calling for a batter. Bet me he doesn't get his ass out there next time and get warmed upon the completion of the inning. 

Not meaning to hijack a thread but I despise calling with guys who are letting pitchers take 7-8 pitches in between innings, drag around, 4 minute half-innings, and everything else. Those things add up and add up quickly. I think a pretty popular guy in the Northeast says it best, DO YOUR JOB! 

• Like 1

19 hours ago, JamesC said:

I guess I'm confused why this is impractical and how it's going to turn the game to crap....
...  Rarely do I get a pitcher over 17-18 seconds after receiving the ball so I haven't had to address the matter yet,

Wait, you say that you rarely get a 17-18 second delay (I assume you're timing them), so you haven't had to address the matter. If that was true, that would mean that you never have more than a 19 second delay. REALLY ? I'll be calling BS.  

Indicator in your left hand, stop watch in your right hand ... DO YOUR JOB, Smitty

19 hours ago, JamesC said:

I guess I'm confused why this is impractical and how it's going to turn the game to crap.

Well ... having never done this, my belief that this will turn the game to crap is only a theory. Since you doubt my theory, I challenge you to disprove it. Use your stop watch, ball F1 when he busts 20 seconds, then report back your findings, Smitty. 

On 4/14/2017 at 9:33 AM, ricka56 said:

Wait, you say that you rarely get a 17-18 second delay (I assume you're timing them), so you haven't had to address the matter. If that was true, that would mean that you never have more than a 19 second delay. REALLY ? I'll be calling BS.  

Indicator in your left hand, stop watch in your right hand ... DO YOUR JOB, Smitty

I don't even consider timing someone unless I think they're taking too long, and then I'll do a rough count in my head. Even when I think they're taking a long time, it's normally a few seconds short of 20 so I don't worry about getting too technical. Plus, I don't use an indicator so my left hand is free for the stopwatch. Is that Smitty enough for you?