Tag Up and Appeal

Guest Cmhammond03
Umpire-Empire locks topics which have not been active in the last year. The thread you are viewing hasn't been active in 2545 days so you will not be able to post. We do recommend you starting a new topic to find out what's new in the world of umpiring.

Question

Guest Cmhammond03

Runner's on 2nd and 3rd, 1 out. Batter hits sacrifice fly, so there are now two outs. Runner on 3rd tags up and scores, Runner on 2nd leaves base early. Pitcher appeals to 2nd base, and runner is called out. Does the run count?

13 answers to this question

21 minutes ago, Guest Cmhammond03 said:

Runner's on 2nd and 3rd, 1 out. Batter hits sacrifice fly, so there are now two outs. Runner on 3rd tags up and scores, Runner on 2nd leaves base early. Pitcher appeals to 2nd base, and runner is called out. Does the run count?

If the runner at 3rd touches the plate prior to 2nd base or the runner who left too early being tagged the run scores.

Six. 

Never mind me...I'm just keeping track of how many times I've seen this same question asked, on various discussion boards, so far this year. :)

And it's STILL never happened to me in one of my games!

2 hours ago, BretMan said:

Six. 

Never mind me...I'm just keeping track of how many times I've seen this same question asked, on various discussion boards, so far this year. :)

It happened in the Indians game a couple days ago, so a lot of people are curious. So many people seem to think that it's a force out, but it's not. This is a time play. Even the Rangers manager had a lengthy discussion with the umpire after the play.

It happened in the Indians game a couple days ago, so a lot of people are curious. So many people seem to think that it's a force out, but it's not. This is a time play. Even the Rangers manager had a lengthy discussion with the umpire after the play.

The Rangers manager has been quoted as questioning the timing of the runner crossing the plate.. not the rule.

That's kind of funny...maybe some sort of "revisionist questioning" once he leaned what the rule really was. I was watching that game. The run crossed the plate way, way before the appeal was made. The timing of that time play should not have been an issue. 

• Like 2

That's kind of funny...maybe some sort of "revisionist questioning" once he leaned what the rule really was. I was watching that game. The run crossed the plate way, way before the appeal was made. The timing of that time play should not have been an issue. 

I thought the same thing :)

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk

• Like 1

On 4/8/2017 at 6:39 AM, BretMan said:

Six. 

I've seen it twice in games I've coached or been a player.  In both cases it was a runner on first who left early, and it was a fly ball to left field, or left center.

In one case two runs scored before the appeal was completed.

But, yeah, it's rare for sure - to compare, as a player or coach I've seen three bona fide triple plays (two for, one against), where I know umpires, coaches and players who have never seen one in a game they've been involved in.

It doesn't surprise me you haven't seen it in games you've officiated.  It's quite possible many people had never previously seen the situation at all before seeing on TV last week.

Honest to goodness true story...

I get to my my game yesterday and I see a coach talking to my partner in the parking lot. They're about 30 yards away and cant hear them, but the Coach is obviously describing a play he's seen- he's making motions like someone catching a ball, making a throw, etc.

I walk toward them and as I get there I hear, "...so he didn't tag up and they throw the ball to second base for the force out. That's the third out. Does the run count?".

*sigh*.....that's seven...

• Like 3

On 4/8/2017 at 0:48 AM, umpstu said:

If the runner at 3rd touches the plate prior to 2nd base or the runner who left too early being tagged the run scores.

up pretty early there on the West Coast umpstu.

Very nice/concise response if you are still at the bar.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Guest HankC said:

what if the runner on second was off at the crack of the bat, reversed course and was thrown out at a second before getting back?

Same answer, just another time play. Which came first, the out at second or the run crossing the plate? First one wins.

7 hours ago, beerguy55 said:

But, yeah, it's rare for sure - to compare, as a player or coach I've seen three bona fide triple plays (two for, one against), where I know umpires, coaches and players who have never seen one in a game they've been involved in.

I don't get to whip this story out too often these days but now you basically begged me to tell it... 

Beer league softball Championship Game 2 (best of 3 series, already lost Game 1 by 1 run)... We are protecting a 1 run lead in the bottom of the last inning with R2, R3, 0 out... I'm playing F2... Fly ball to LF... Catch, R3 tags... Play at the plate and he's gunned out... I come up and notice that R2 stopped to respect the cutoff man and since I've never seen a throw behind the runner that I didn't like, I fire down to 2B and bang the guy before he dives back in.. Ballgame!

The ol' 7-2-4 Triple Play, just like we drew it up.

We go on to win the rubber match by 10 runs because, let's face it... Destiny.

Bonus: Someones wife made those gummi worms that are soaked in vodka overnight for the postgame celebration.. What a day!