csturner

NFHS obstruction scenerio

Question

Bottom of the 6th inning, tie ballgame, Runner at 2nd.  Pitcher spins for a pickoff but does not throw the ball as there was no play there as the runner read the move.  HPU calls time and gives obstruction to the runner and awards 3rd base because of contact made with the SS who was moving to get in position to receive the pickoff from the pitcher.  Honestly I did not notice the contact or the obstruction so I can't paint a better picture of it for you but can't imagine it was MC since it was in my line of site and took no notice of it.

What are your thoughts on this as obstruction and awarding 3rd base since the pickoff throw was not made, whatever if any contact was made affected the outcome of the play in no way and that the HPU made the call and not the field umpire?

On ‎4‎/‎4‎/‎2017 at 11:25 AM, csturner said:

I agree with the PU facing but wouldn't the BU turn to see the play on the pitcher spin since it is his call if the pickoff attempt is carried out?  It as not a fake tag scenerio and no warning was giving prior to this regarding a fake take.  I have to assume there was incidental contact of some kind and I know it doesn't have to be intentional to be obstruction but I just don't know how this was called at this juncture of the game with a  no play on a pickoff at 2nd.  

I was thinking the primary intent of awarding an additional base on obstruction was to discourage blocking the base prior to receiving the ball and I just don't think this was that situation.

INCORRECT ON THE 1st RED TEXT: Not until the ball leaves the pitchers' hand would the BU fully pivot to 2B.

CORRECT ON THE 2nd RED TEXT: Yes, No penalty, nothing to discourage multiple infractions. 

Answer this question...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.