Touching the Catcher

ElkOil
Umpire-Empire locks topics which have not been active in the last year. The thread you are viewing hasn't been active in 2573 days so you will not be able to post. We do recommend you starting a new topic to find out what's new in the world of umpiring.

Anyone put their hand(s) on the catcher's back when behind the plate? If so, what's the benefit?

I was told when I first started to not do it at the HS level, but I don't do it regardless of the level of ball I'm calling. I see a lot of MLB umps do it, and some really hold on like they'll fall over it they don't.

Most who do it started as a means of spacing themselves. Then it became a habit.

I generally don't touch HS players of any sport (except handshakes, fist bumps, etc., more common in basketball pre-game than baseball). I can space myself from F2 without touching him.

I had one instructor at a clinic talk about using the length of your forearm to gauge the space between you and F2. ...That is to say, if your forearm straight out from your body doesn't reach F2, you're too far back. Her didn't advocate it wholeheartedly, just tossed it out there as a possible tool to use.

• Like 1

34 minutes ago, maven said:

Most who do it started as a means of spacing themselves. Then it became a habit.

I generally don't touch HS players of any sport (except handshakes, fist bumps, etc., more common in basketball pre-game than baseball). I can space myself from F2 without touching him.

Ephebiphobia???

:D

9 hours ago, Richvee said:

I had one instructor at a clinic talk about using the length of your forearm to gauge the space between you and F2. ...That is to say, if your forearm straight out from your body doesn't reach F2, you're too far back. Her didn't advocate it wholeheartedly, just tossed it out there as a possible tool to use.

Our state wants us back far enough for a "person to be able to walk between umpire and catcher." All the state clinics have been teaching this, as our fearless leader is a fan of GD. Unfortunately, they did not teach the entire stance — just  move back and adjust, seems to have been the gist.

Many (most?) of our umpires are not skilled enough to make an adjustment this big and still get a view of the outside corner. I'm guessing the effort will fall flat: it's hard to move people off their spot.

3 hours ago, maven said:

Our state wants us back far enough for a "person to be able to walk between umpire and catcher." All the state clinics have been teaching this, as our fearless leader is a fan of GD. Unfortunately, they did not teach the entire stance — just  move back and adjust, seems to have been the gist.

Many (most?) of our umpires are not skilled enough to make an adjustment this big and still get a view of the outside corner. I'm guessing the effort will fall flat: it's hard to move people off their spot.

It took me a while to find good spots when setting up and adjusting. I've found myself much closer to F2 to get the best view. Enough space for someone to walk through seems awfully far back. Do you know if anyone is successfully setting up that way?

• Like 2

14 hours ago, ElkOil said:

Anyone put their hand(s) on the catcher's back when behind the plate? If so, what's the benefit?

I was told when I first started to not do it at the HS level, but I don't do it regardless of the level of ball I'm calling. I see a lot of MLB umps do it, and some really hold on like they'll fall over it they don't.

Most catchers hate it..

Most catchers are smart enough to not endanger the relationship by telling you they hate it.

• Like 1

14 hours ago, maven said:

Huh...I've never heard that. I don't doubt you, but perhaps that was more of a function of that particular clinician than a statewide thing. I didn't go to one of the three state clinics this year but hadn't heard anything like that. But i have a game with fearless leader in a couple weeks, I'll ask him. ;)