Unsual Double Play.

KenBAZ
Umpire-Empire locks topics which have not been active in the last year. The thread you are viewing hasn't been active in 2545 days so you will not be able to post. We do recommend you starting a new topic to find out what's new in the world of umpiring.

I worked a UTrip event this weekend and had a play I'd never had before. 14u, I'm PU. R1, R2, 1 out. R2 is a slow kid and R1 was quick. BR hits a ball into the right centerfold gap. I go point of the plate and line up for the play. Relay comes in as I rotate into fair territory to see F2 take throw and spin to tag sliding runner. "He's out!". R1 has never stopped and is diving for the plate. F2 jumps back and tags him on the back just before R1's hand gets to the plate, "He's out!". Two whackers within seconds of each other at the plate.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, KenBAZ said:

I worked a UTrip event this weekend and had a play I'd never had before. 14u, I'm PU. R1, R2, 1 out. R2 is a slow kid and R1 was quick. BR hits a ball into the right centerfold gap. I go point of the plate and line up for the play. Relay comes in as I rotate into fair territory to see F2 take throw and spin to tag sliding runner. "He's out!". R1 has never stopped and is diving for the plate. F2 jumps back and tags him on the back just before R1's hand gets to the plate, "He's out!". Two whackers within seconds of each other at the plate.

Seen that even in MLB.

• Like 1

You mean something like this ? I grew up in NY and actually saw this play happen Live 

Pudge! My umpiring # is 27 and the kids ask me if I'm a fan of Mike Trout Just like that without the collisions. I don't remember that play but I love it.

Sent from my SM-G935T using Tapatalk

34 minutes ago, KenBAZ said:

Pudge! My umpiring # is 27 and the kids ask me if I'm a fan of Mike Troutemoji1.png Just like that without the collisions. I don't remember that play but I love it.

He was wearing #72 in Chicago. Being a big Fisk fan and a dedicated member of Red Sox Nation - I was mad at the trade. I wear #72 in honor of Fisk after he went to the 'other' SOX.

7 hours ago, maineump said:

He was wearing #72 in Chicago. Being a big Fisk fan and a dedicated member of Red Sox Nation - I was mad at the trade. I wear #72 in honor of Fisk after he went to the 'other' SOX.

He wasn't traded.  That dummy Haywood Sullivan put Fisk's contract in the mail the day after the deadline, making him a free agent.  Pudge and Yaz were my childhood idols!  You were mad at Haywood Sullivan!

I remember that play like it was yesterday. Watched it live as well. Growing up a Yankee fan when Thurman was the man, there was no love lost on Mr. Pudge for me. Funny how Fisk ended up playing more seasons for the ChiSox the the BoSox.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Richvee said:

I remember that play like it was yesterday. Watched it live as well. Growing up a Yankee fan when Thurman was the man, there was no love lost on Mr. Pudge for me. Funny how Fisk ended up playing more seasons for the ChiSox the the BoSox.

Of all the catchers in all the world, why did it have to be Fisk?  Munson was awesome. August 2nd, 1979, another day that will live in infamy.

• Like 1

Wow, one sliding one diving that was very similar to what I had the other day. The first play was a little closer and the second came a bit closer to the first. I was rotated into fair territory for the calls.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, stkjock said:

I can't see YT at my office, I guess this is the same play?

http://m.mlb.com/video/v3232340/2006-nlds-gm1-lo-duca-tags-out-two-at-the-plate/?query=2006+nlds

Correct... And now you get a long-winded story:

The ironic thing about your comment is that when this happened, I was working in an office in NYC (it was a day game) and my floor had a cubicle farm with about 16 cubicles cut into 4 sections of 4, separated by pillars but still all sharing the same open air space... There are probably 12 coworkers invested in and listening to the game and about 8 are Mets fans...

We weren't allowed to watch the game at our desks but managment was pretty cool about letting us leave the game on in the conference room (which was next to the break room) so we could watch a bit while getting coffee or something. They also let us listen to the game on radios at our desks.

So this play starts and we're all listening and it quickly becomes obvious from the announcer (Howie!) that we are going to have a play at the plate... In unison all 12 heads rise up above the cubicle farm eagerly anticipating the call... When it comes... And then he second one comes... We are all stunned... Many weird looks at each other over the cube farm.

Then, again, in complete unison, we all break for the conference room to see the replay... We are chugging down aisles and hallways like we're escaping the Purge... We get to the conference room in time to see the replay and are all cheering and talking about it... Just then like 8 of the higher executives from the floor above us come racing in.... "Did they show the replay yet?"

The moral: Let your employees watch playoff baseball.

33 minutes ago, stkjock said:

That's a good story, LOL, I think I was watching the game live, however I don't recall the details as well as you do.

Thanks... I have a VERY unique memory... Honestly I'm probably on the spectrum ever so slightly (had they actually tested that sort of thing back in the day)...

My short term memory is a joke. Virtually nonexistent... This makes calling a game without looking at my indicator A LOT IMPOSSIBLE... Something I'm always worried about because I know it looks bad..

I have gotten the hang of sneaking looks as I "adjust" my mask, but I always wonder if someone is going to suggest changing masks because of how often I adjust it... Lol

On the flip side of this, is that my long term memory (and ability to remember detailed things that happen on the peripheral)... I could probably tell you what color shirts half of my coworkers were wearing when this play happened on that one random day 11 years ago.

Life has been interesting living like this, let me tell you.

19 hours ago, cp9 said:

He wasn't traded.  That dummy Haywood Sullivan put Fisk's contract in the mail the day after the deadline, making him a free agent.  Pudge and Yaz were my childhood idols!  You were mad at Haywood Sullivan!

Yes I was - Pudge was the man. I now catch for the old Sox, and some of the guys I catch for hated to throw to him - slowed the game down way too much. :) 

• 1 month later...