To sell or not to sell

Umpire_ar
Umpire-Empire locks topics which have not been active in the last year. The thread you are viewing hasn't been active in 2581 days so you will not be able to post. We do recommend you starting a new topic to find out what's new in the world of umpiring.

I've got at least one backup of every piece of gear I own. Overkill? Probably.

If I've got to do a few games per day, I like to put on fresh everything, and not put on sweaty plate gear. That's just nasty.

So, I'd say keep it, and re-evaluate with you've used at the end of the season.

I keep at least one extra of everything. I am always finding new to me things and selling stuff that has not been used in a while. I have some stuff I should probably unload.

Hello everyone, my name is Max (shhhh... we don't use the words "mad" or "crazy" here), and... I have four masks. As I look around my apartment, I have the parts to build / equip several more, though, so I have a bit of a problem.

I actively use and am true to one CP. I do have several others traipsing in and out of my apartment – at all hours of the night – in varying degrees of repair and servicing. In fact, I have another Schutt AiR Flex II getting fitted for a new harness, and a (*GASP!*) DaviShield off to one side in the midst of a significant improvement project (how could you, Max?! A DaviShield?!?! You said you'd never touch one!).

Besides the one set of Force3 Ultimate shin guards I own and use (near-) constantly, I have a set of All-Star LGU313's stashed in the tool compartment of my car, along with the jack and emergency roadside kit. I'll fish them out in the event I do a sub-12U game, or if I happen across a baseball tournament and am asked to be an umpire, or if a fellow umpire at a tournament lost / misplaced / forgot / broke his own shin guards. I have no qualms about loaning out my CP or masks (heck, you might actually like my Schutt, and want to buy one yourself!), but I do pause in consideration on loaning out my Force3 shinguards.

I have multiple belts, base shoes, ball bags and other accessories, and am constantly rotating them in and out. I've given up on trying to maintain multiples of the same shirt style-color. Instead, I have one of everything and when I go to a tournament, I just hope I'm with partners who are as forward-&-free-thinking as I am. For a few specific style-colors, I have purchased and gifted several shirts (TOC 2010 Bermuda Blue, specifically) to good friends of mine so that when we work together, we are certain to use them.

Lots of gear finds its way to my doorstep. The thing to do with it is to pass it on to the next umpire-in-need, whether by bequeathment or by sale. Identify the "new guys" in your circle-of-umpire-friends or association and supply their needs. Are they using their old catchers shin guards? Sell them your "spares" for a few bucks. Certainly don't lose money on the deal, but don't extort them either. 

• Like 4

Hello everyone, my name is Max (shhhh... we don't use the words "mad" or "crazy" here), and... I have four masks. As I look around my apartment, I have the parts to build / equip several more, though, so I have a bit of a problem.
I actively use and am true to one CP. I do have several others traipsing in and out of my apartment – at all hours of the night – in varying degrees of repair and servicing. In fact, I have another Schutt AiR Flex II getting fitted for a new harness, and a (*GASP!*) DaviShield off to one side in the midst of a significant improvement project (how could you, Max?! A DaviShield?!?! You said you'd never touch one!).
Besides the one set of Force3 Ultimate shin guards I own and use (near-) constantly, I have a set of All-Star LGU313's stashed in the tool compartment of my car, along with the jack and emergency roadside kit. I'll fish them out in the event I do a sub-12U game, or if I happen across a baseball tournament and am asked to be an umpire, or if a fellow umpire at a tournament lost / misplaced / forgot / broke his own shin guards. I have no qualms about loaning out my CP or masks (heck, you might actually like my Schutt, and want to buy one yourself!), but I do pause in consideration on loaning out my Force3 shinguards.
I have multiple belts, base shoes, ball bags and other accessories, and am constantly rotating them in and out. I've given up on trying to maintain multiples of the same shirt style-color. Instead, I have one of everything and when I go to a tournament, I just hope I'm with partners who are as forward-&-free-thinking as I am. For a few specific style-colors, I have purchased and gifted several shirts (TOC 2010 Bermuda Blue, specifically) to good friends of mine so that when we work together, we are certain to use them.
Lots of gear finds its way to my doorstep. The thing to do with it is to pass it on to the next umpire-in-need, whether by bequeathment or by sale. Identify the "new guys" in your circle-of-umpire-friends or association and supply their needs. Are they using their old catchers shin guards? Sell them your "spares" for a few bucks. Certainly don't lose money on the deal, but don't extort them either. 

I did just such a thing today. One of the guys had a set of Shins that were too long for him. Since I just got the F3s, I sold him my old Honigs that were just right for him.

There is a Facebook group called Umpire Waffles that raffles off gear. I just won a West Vest for $30. I borough three slots in the raffle. This gives me an opportunity to sell my backup CP to someone. Keep an eye out for discounted gear. You never know who might have gear stolen, or car wreck, house fire etc.

Just my $.02 worth.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
  • Like 1

14 hours ago, Umpire_ar said:

I did just such a thing today. One of the guys had a set of Shins that were too long for him. Since I just got the F3s, I sold him my old Honigs that were just right for him.

There is a Facebook group called Umpire Waffles that raffles off gear. I just won a West Vest for $30. I borough three slots in the raffle. This gives me an opportunity to sell my backup CP to someone. Keep an eye out for discounted gear. You never know who might have gear stolen, or car wreck, house fire etc.

Just my $.02 worth.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

It's run by our very own @JaxRolo

• Like 1