New Hunter Wendlestedt mask WBC

tpatience
Umpire-Empire locks topics which have not been active in the last year. The thread you are viewing hasn't been active in 2516 days so you will not be able to post. We do recommend you starting a new topic to find out what's new in the world of umpiring.

18 hours ago, gnhbua93 said:

You can see the Wilson logo is glued over the frame. Also he took off the mask and the cap came off with it in one instance. Also weird that he doesn't has his number on the plate  coat.

He didn't? I didn't notice.

What I did notice and took some time getting used to? Him going to the side with the point on his strike calls.

• Like 1

That is the FM4000Mag. One piece cast construction. Hence the need for the "fill tabs" at the ear guards – the frame experiences the least stress there, so material variances can be tolerated here.

Now, more than ever, the pads have got to be really really good.

Yeah, the mask's geometry doesn't really let anything longer than a 4-stitch to go under it. We may see a resurrection of the 2-stitch! I'd love to see/hear/read of All-Star designing a "System 7" umpire-specific mask. More volume in the forehead – maybe space to house a GoPro-esque camera so we can start to fight technology with technology.

Do any of the umpires at WBC have (their) numbers on their sleeves? Since the governing body is not MLB, my guess is that the numbering system (if there is one) isn't the same.

24 minutes ago, MadMax said:

That is the FM4000Mag. One piece cast construction. Hence the need for the "fill tabs" at the ear guards – the frame experiences the least stress there, so material variances can be tolerated here.

Yeah, the mask's geometry doesn't really let anything longer than a 4-stitch to go under it. We may see a resurrection of the 2-stitch! I'd love to see/hear/read of All-Star designing a "System 7" umpire-specific mask. More volume in the forehead – maybe space to house a GoPro-esque camera so we can start to fight technology with technology.

Do any of the umpires at WBC have (their) numbers on their sleeves? Since the governing body is not MLB, my guess is that the numbering system (if there is one) isn't the same.

All of the MLB umpires have their same numbers. But why HW didn't have a number on his plate coat, I do not know

10 hours ago, MadMax said:

OF COURSE @MadMax beat me to this .......... :D 

You can actually rock a 6 stitch under an FM4000 style mask (I'd assume you can with the MAG as well).  I was going to ask Brad about the pads on the MAG ...they look much larger than the standard LUCs that come on the regular FM4000.

On 3/15/2017 at 10:37 PM, gnhbua93 said:

You can see the Wilson logo is glued over the frame. Also he took off the mask and the cap came off with it in one instance. Also weird that he doesn't has his number on the plate  coat.

No, just velcro patched over the All-Star strap

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Thunderheads said:

No, just velcro patched over the All-Star strap

I wonder if the guys do the brand covering themselves or if the equipment guys do it for them...

Since it's just cosmetic, I imagine most wouldn't mind having an equipment guy just deal with it. 

• 1 month later...
6 minutes ago, umpstu said:

Pretty inexpensive price tag.  Why so much?

It is injection-cast magnesium alloy. That's an "alpha process", meaning the first of its kind in this sort of application. There are no welds, so it has to be injected, cured, and finished in a very exacting process. I don't think these are churned out by the hundreds. Probably a few dozen per batch.

• Like 1

$345 for this mask.... does anyone know what the pads and harness is like?   The pads in the Wendlestedt pics above look as though the pads are pretty beefy; they appear to be right up under his cheekbones.   The pads that are pictured on various retail websites show pads that seem to me to be.... cheap.   

Thoughts? 

8 hours ago, BrianC14 said:

$345 for this mask.... does anyone know what the pads and harness is like?   The pads in the Wendlestedt pics above look as though the pads are pretty beefy; they appear to be right up under his cheekbones.   The pads that are pictured on various retail websites show pads that seem to me to be.... cheap.   

Thoughts? 

Brian, ...  All-Star's LUC pads are fantastic!  They don't stick to any stubble ..... they're protective, soft, and light!  Remember, ...All-Star is the only company using their own cannon and firing baseballs at their product at 95mph +!  When testing their FM4000, they used the LUC pads ....

I'll ask Brad if the FM4000-MAG has more a more beefy version of the original

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, Thunderheads said:

Brian, ...  All-Star's LUC pads are fantastic!  They don't stick to any stubble ..... they're protective, soft, and light!  Remember, ...All-Star is the only company using their own cannon and firing baseballs at their product at 95mph +!  When testing their FM4000, they used the LUC pads ....

I'll ask Brad if the FM4000-MAG has more a more beefy version of the original

I stand educated.   Thanks.

Comparing the pads between the pics provided here of Harry W. and the pics of the retailers seem to show less coverage with the original pads.  I didn't mean to imply that I knew much of anything about them and how well they performed 

BTW, who is Brad?

I stand educated.   Thanks.
Comparing the pads between the pics provided here of Harry W. and the pics of the retailers seem to show less coverage with the original pads.  I didn't mean to imply that I knew much of anything about them and how well they performed 
BTW, who is Brad?

No problem!
Brad Jurga ..... All Star is a family company owned by Brad's family

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

• Like 1