Guest Clayton

Pick off to first

Question

Guest Clayton

With a runner on first and a right handed pitcher the pitcher does not disenage his pivot foot but moves his left foot directly towards first and throws to the first baseman is this a balk?

10 answers to this question

As described, sounds fine to me....he gained ground to first, assumingly didn't first move towards home, threw the ball. Right handed or left handed is of no concern or meaning, the rules for executing a valid pickoff attempt are the same.

Set or windup? It matters under FED (HS) rules. From the windup position, you cannot step and throw from the rubber. (FED only). 

59 minutes ago, Gfoley4 said:

Assuming that they're in the stretch, that would seem very hard to do without moving the pivot foot at all from the rubber

Easy. Step first, let the pivot foot follow as with any other throw.

1 hour ago, Gfoley4 said:

Assuming that they're in the stretch, that would seem very hard to do without moving the pivot foot at all from the rubber

That's not usually the point of this kind of question. It's not whether the pivot must remain engaged (it need not); the question is usually whether F1 is required by rule to disengage prior to a pick attempt.

And the answer is no, that's a myth. From the set (all codes) or the windup (all but FED), F1 may step and then throw to 1B without first disengaging.

Guest Nick

Question:

Assuming the pitcher in the OP is in the set position, how can a RHP not disengaged step and throw to 1b with motioning first toward home plate?
I thought if an RHP engaged with pitchers plate rotated his shoulders to merely visually check a runner at 1b, it was a balk as motioning toward home plate.  Am I incorrect?

16 minutes ago, Guest Nick said:

Question:

Assuming the pitcher in the OP is in the set position, how can a RHP not disengaged step and throw to 1b with motioning first toward home plate?
I thought if an RHP engaged with pitchers plate rotated his shoulders to merely visually check a runner at 1b, it was a balk as motioning toward home plate.  Am I incorrect?

I think the more appropriate reason that's generally a balk is because it is considered a feint to first.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Guest Nick said:

Question:

Are you saying WHEN the pitcher has come set, and then rotates his shoulders? or... He is pitching from the 'Set Position'?

If it is the latter, before he comes set, he may rotate his head and shoulders as much as he desires.  

Question:

Even if he does "motion toward home plate," that is not part of the rule.  PErhaps you are mistaking it for "making a motion associated with his pitch." -- Most moves toward first look nothing like a pitch.

Question:

1. Disengaging = first move is lifting the pivot and stepping directly backward and behind/off the rubber. F1 picks at 1B, he may step and throw there without disengaging first. Provided that his body moves toward 1B and not HP, the move is legal.
  2. Turning the shoulders after coming set can be a balk (in FED for instance), but not because it is a move to the plate. It's a start/stop balk, as the motion of turning the shoulders commits him to pitch (or step and throw to 1B), so it's a balk when he fails to do either.

Answer this question...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.