Carter Capps

• Replies 16
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Since this is an umpire's website (you might have a better chance of mentioning an umpires name), you might????? have a better chance of going by subject matter (why not a balk?, etc) than going by a

http://www.fangraphs.com/blogs/carter-capps-delivery-is-new-still-basically-against-the-rules/

I just want to be crystal clear here,  This delivery with the crow hop is illegal at all levels/rulesets, no ifs ands or buts about it? 

3 hours ago, grozzly said:

Hello everybody !!

Couldn't find a topic on Carter Capps' delivery

Why not calling that an illegal pitch? Why would it be legal ? I need your opinions...

Since this is an umpire's website (you might have a better chance of mentioning an umpires name), you might????? have a better chance of going by subject matter (why not a balk?, etc) than going by a player name. Not saying players names have not been mentioned before (many times) by any stretch of the imagination.

But to answer your question, see below.

Now, you will have to call the MLBU who was on the rules committee at this time---it use to be Brian Gorman (2016), to see how he voted on this particular delivery situation. Did he vote for a balk or did he vote the delivery was legal? And, if he voted balk, did he get out-voted by the other committee members and by how much. How did all the members vote??Or was the umpire on the committee even consulted as well as all the members on the committee consulted. Who knows. Write a letter to the MLB office and have them forward the letter to the MLBU that was on the committee at the time and see if they respond.

http://m.mlb.com/news/article/118060152/marlins-reliever-carter-capps-clears-up-confusion-on-illegal-pitches/

P.S.----------That motion 'did not' prevent Tommy John surgery just in case anyone would like to know.

• Like 1

I was watching MLB network a few nights ago and they had clips of Capps throwing a bullpen session in Spring training. Leiter and Smoltz were on , and both said they would think it's illegal. They played his new bullpen session side by side with pitches from a MLB game 2 years ago, and this recent session, he was crow hoping more than ever. Literally pushing off the rubber,landing and pushing again. In the MLB game, you could make case he's dragging the foot. This week, from what I saw, it has turned into a blatant crow hop.

1 hour ago, Richvee said:

I was watching MLB network a few nights ago and they had clips of Capps throwing a bullpen session in Spring training. Leiter and Smoltz were on , and both said they would think it's illegal. They played his new bullpen session side by side with pitches from a MLB game 2 years ago, and this recent session, he was crow hoping more than ever. Literally pushing off the rubber,landing and pushing again. In the MLB game, you could make case he's dragging the foot. This week, from what I saw, it has turned into a blatant crow hop.

Is this similar to the crow hop/jump/whatever/ type situation that was made illegal in Women's Softball??? If so, in this situation, I definitely believe that train of thought wins the day.

37 minutes ago, dumbdumb said:

Is this similar to the crow hop type situation that was made illegal in Women's Softball??? If so, in this situation, I definitely believe that train of thought wins the day.

Point of clarification - Crow Hopping has always been illegal in both women's and men's fast pitch.  

There are indeed umpires that ignore it, except in the most egregious cases, but it is illegal.  There's a myth it's allowed in men's fast pitch, but 99% of the time the guy isn't hopping...he's just being really aggressive and throwing really hard (sometimes 80-85 mph), from only 48 feet away.  And it's the same principle as has been outlined in MLB - you are not allowed to hop off the rubber, and then make a second plant/push afterwards.  Having a large push and drag off the rubber is fine, even if your release point is a bit closer to the plate.  Basically, if umpires see daylight between foot and ground they're (typically) going to call it.  If not, they'll rule it as a legal drag.  The difference is the softball pitching motion makes it very easy to fall into the drag/hop.  I've never see a baseball pitcher do what Capps does.

1 hour ago, Gfoley4 said:

That;s it. That's the clip. That's not what he was doing in 2015. There's no way what he's doing this year can be legal. We'll find out soon enough, I guess.