Latest NB plate shoes - Cleaning

NavyChiefBlue
Umpire-Empire locks topics which have not been active in the last year. The thread you are viewing hasn't been active in 2627 days so you will not be able to post. We do recommend you starting a new topic to find out what's new in the world of umpiring.

I expect mine to come in the mail very soon. As they are high-gloss, what are you doing to keep them clean and shiny? I have used everything from water to Pledge to Scrubbing Bubbles. I don't want to ruin the high-gloss finish. Just looking for options.

Thanks!

STRIKES AND OUTS!!!!

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Fullcount32 said:

For my patent leather zigs I use "kiwi" quick shine. Can be had at Walgreens or CVS. It's a sponge with liquid kiwi reservoir and a plastic cap.  You just remove cap.. brush shine and go. Stores nicely in bag. 

IMG_3471.JPG

I think he is looking to get dirt off of the shoe first. @JimKirk could you help us out with this question?

• Like 1

2 hours ago, JSam21 said:

I think he is looking to get dirt off of the shoe first. @JimKirk could you help us out with this question?

Thanks for the question. I always keep it simple on shoe cleanings and with the hi-gloss leather, its probably more of what NOT to do. These are supposed to be easy to take care so don't over do it.

1) Excess dirt off with a cloth/rag.

2) Mild soap and water for cleaning. Saddle soap is probably best (ivory soap is also a good mild soap).

Those two right there would go a long way if you did just that after each use.

Beyond that when you do feel a polish is in order, I'd stay away from black polish especially if you have the white N (clear polish better) and away from any hard bristle brushes (horse hair would be best).

I do love those little lemon sponges. I always travel with one and will use them on dress shoes just before wearing.

Hope that helps. Everyone has good cleaning suggestions. One of the best I ever heard was to use an air compressor for excess dirt. Blow off the dirt rather than wipe. But I know not everyone has access to one so not part of my simple, basic recs.

• Like 4

Jim always has great suggestions!

For these new shoes from NB and their high-gloss ...  I wouldn't do anything more than water, and or a Murphy's Oil Soap/water solution.  My only concern is that anything stronger "may" effect the shine and make the shoe 'cloudy' ??  I don't know...  maybe @JimKirk can ask his contact at New Balance ?!?! :nod: 

• Like 3

6 minutes ago, Thunderheads said:

Jim always has great suggestions!

For these new shoes from NB and their high-gloss ...  I wouldn't do anything more than water, and or a Murphy's Oil Soap/water solution.  My only concern is that anything stronger "may" effect the shine and make the shoe 'cloudy' ??  I don't know...  maybe @JimKirk can ask his contact at New Balance ?!?! :nod: 

I thought about asking but they're probably just going to suggest the NB shoe care line. Sticking with the KISS method for now. :)

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Fullcount32 said:

For my patent leather zigs I use "kiwi" quick shine. Can be had at Walgreens or CVS. It's a sponge with liquid kiwi reservoir and a plastic cap.  You just remove cap.. brush shine and go. Stores nicely in bag. 

IMG_3471.JPG

I just went and grabbed one of these from walgreens and.... pretty cool. 

• Like 1

Guys, please understand that scrubbing bubbles and chemicals like that will ruin the life of your shoes. I've said for a few years, and Jim just said it himself, saddle soap is great. So is liquid hand soap. If it's safe enough for your hands, it's safe enough for your shoes. That's all I ever use.

These shoes have a high gloss finish. All they will need is some soap/water, a nail scrub brush and a towel to wipe them off. That's it. 

• Like 6

12 hours ago, kylejt said:

Whoa! Are these new shoes actually leather, like the 'ol 450's?

I misspoke. Meant to type "hi-gloss finish" but in my haste I wrote "hi-gloss leather". Synthetic upper is the official wording from NB. Thanks @kylejt for noticing the error.

29 minutes ago, JimKirk said:

I misspoke. Meant to type "hi-gloss finish" but in my haste I wrote "hi-gloss leather". Synthetic upper is the official wording from NB. Thanks @kylejt for noticing the error.

12 hours ago, kylejt said:

Whoa! Are these new shoes actually leather, like the 'ol 450's?

I'm thinking less of an "error" and more of "wishful thinking."

• Like 1

All I do is spray off the dust in the sink, spray the soles off and then scrub them with dish washing detergent and a nylon brush.  The finish on these is such that it doesn't take a lot of effort to remove any dust.  Obviously it will take a little more effort for the soles and I like to scrub the bottom of the show as well.  After I rinse them I wipe off any excess water with a microfiber cloth.  I wouldn't mess with using anything for the finish. Seems fine to me.

• Like 3