Jump to content
  • 0
Guest Nick

12 second rule

Question

Guest Nick

OBR 8.04 Requires the pitcher to to deliver the ball to the batter 12 seconds after receiving the ball when the bases are unoccupied. 

1. Does the clock restart if the pitcher request a new ball?

2. When can a request for a new ball be denied?

3. In MLB is a ball rejected by the pitcher removed from the game?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

7 answers to this question

Recommended Posts

  • 0
41 minutes ago, Guest Nick said:

OBR 8.04 Requires the pitcher to to deliver the ball to the batter 12 seconds after receiving the ball when the bases are unoccupied. 

1. Does the clock restart if the pitcher request a new ball?

2. When can a request for a new ball be denied?

3. In MLB is a ball rejected by the pitcher removed from the game?

1. Assuming that the request is granted, yes, because the ball becomes dead. The 12-second clock always starts over after a dead ball.

2. Whenever the umpire chooses. It usually only comes into play if a pitcher is unreasonable with his requests.

3. Depends on if the umpire feels that the ball is unsuitable for play.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
  • 0
1 hour ago, Matt said:

 

2. Whenever the umpire chooses. 

 

Protest! :)

4.01 (e) Have in his possession at least two alternate balls and shall
require replenishment of such supply of alternate balls as
needed throughout the game. Such alternate balls shall be put
in play when:


(3) The pitcher requests such alternate ball.

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
  • 0
1 hour ago, Rich Ives said:

Protest! :)

4.01 (e) Have in his possession at least two alternate balls and shall
require replenishment of such supply of alternate balls as
needed throughout the game. Such alternate balls shall be put
in play when:


(3) The pitcher requests such alternate ball.

 

 

There it is folks. The worst protest of all protests. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
  • 0
15 hours ago, Stk004 said:

There it is folks. The worst protest of all protests. 

If the umpire wants to be obstinate then let the cards fall where they may. 

 

 

Clear rule misinterpretation though . . .

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
  • 0
On Sun Jan 15 2017 at 8:16 PM, udbrky said:

Saw this recently

 

 

Was thinking this exact thing. If you can find it. Listen to interviews with him from after his playing career. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Guest
Answer this question...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.


×
×
  • Create New...