Thunderheads

Pitching Glove

Ok ...

I got this ad from Wilson on my Facebook feed today and for fun ...I posted the following:

HYPOTHETICAL:

Your first HS game starts with the pitcher walking to the mound with this new customized Wilson glove. What do you do....

15284174_10155582727488146_9949585823580

NOW .... I did this primarily because although TECHNICALLY ILLEGAL ...the amount of gray isn't egregious and I thought, well maybe I see if something is said, as to not be a "Barney Fife" and be an OOO right out of the gate.

Thoughts? 

While he's taking his warm up pitches I tell his coach that the glove is illegal. He will have to change it before the ball is put in play.  The 8 pitches will give enough time for him to get a replacement from the dugout and the game isn't delayed. 

• Like 2

14 minutes ago, kanedog said:

While he's taking his warm up pitches I tell his coach that the glove is illegal. He will have to change it before the ball is put in play.  The 8 pitches will give enough time for him to get a replacement from the dugout and the game isn't delayed. 

done in a relaxed subtle manner ....I totally concur!

• Like 2

40 minutes ago, kanedog said:

I love this approach. 

I've had situations where I've let a little white/gray slide. If a coach or player were to say it was distracting then I'd enforce the rule. But with this one it's not one I think I could let slide. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Thunderheads said:

be careful ..........

15289264_10207899134499903_1568050768405

I probably should've realized this was in the high school category and not based on OBR. 

• Like 1

17 hours ago, maven said:

Illegal in OH, and too much to fix with a Sharpie®.

Do you nip it in the bud immediately, as soon as you see it?

18 hours ago, BT_Blue said:

You should see the militant answers he has gotten on Facebook.

It's been an interesting conversation, to say the least.  I agree that this glove is illegal.  I would tell the coach during his warmups that he needs to change it.

2 hours ago, Thunderheads said:

Do you nip it in the bud immediately, as soon as you see it?

Sure, why not?

14 minutes ago, maven said:

Sure, why not?

just thought you may expound more than stating that it's illegal and too much to fix w/ a sharpie, that's all .....

just thought you may expound more than stating that it's illegal and too much to fix w/ a sharpie, that's all .....

Kids periodically show up to play with illegal equipment or uniforms. Last season, I had to send a kid off to change his shirt because he wanted to pitch with a long sleeve gray undershirt. See it, address it.

I'm not as nit picky about illegal gloves as some in my association (I have a friend who really carries a sharpie in his ball bag to blacken the white lettering of the "Rawlings" logo or whatever), but I would disallow the pictured glove.

Moreover, it's more important to address a glove like this than the long gray sleeves. If he pitches an inning with a gray shirt, there's no penalty. If he fields a fair batted ball or thrown ball with that glove, we should impose the penalty for illegal equipment (everyone remembers 8-3-3 off the top of their heads, right? Different for foul batted balls?).

I apologize for my terse response: I probably shouldn't have posted in the thread at all. The question strikes me as admitting of an obvious answer, and I don't really go in for "discussion for discussion's sake" (an attitude that disqualifies me from participating in the FaceBook "conversations" about such matters).

4 minutes ago, maven said:

Kids periodically show up to play with illegal equipment or uniforms. Last season, I had to send a kid off to change his shirt because he wanted to pitch with a long sleeve gray undershirt. See it, address it.

I'm not as nit picky about illegal gloves as some in my association (I have a friend who really carries a sharpie in his ball bag to blacken the white lettering of the "Rawlings" logo or whatever), but I would disallow the pictured glove.

Moreover, it's more important to address a glove like this than the long gray sleeves. If he pitches an inning with a gray shirt, there's no penalty. If he fields a fair batted ball or thrown ball with that glove, we should impose the penalty for illegal equipment (everyone remembers 8-3-3 off the top of their heads, right? Different for foul batted balls?).

I apologize for my terse response: I probably shouldn't have posted in the thread at all. The question strikes me as admitting of an obvious answer, and I don't really go in for "discussion for discussion's sake" (an attitude that disqualifies me from participating in the FaceBook "conversations" about such matters).

You always have good insight, that's why when I saw you responded, I wanted to see a little more :)

There's no penalty for that glove however, ..it's a "change" or "address" the situation

• Like 1

There's no penalty for that glove however, ..it's a "change" or "address" the situation

Just testing you, Jeff. Well done.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, maven said:

(an attitude that disqualifies me from participating in the FaceBook "conversations" about such matters).

I don't know why Jeff locked (I assume it was Jeff) the Facebook thread prohibiting any more comments.  The thread was going so well.:D

• Like 3

14 hours ago, lawump said:

I don't know why Jeff locked (I assume it was Jeff) the Facebook thread prohibiting any more comments.  The thread was going so well.:D

No, I did not ...I'm not an admin on that site .....Tommy Owens did it after his last comment ..."this thread has run its course".   No biggie .... he was right.  And there was plenty of bitching going on too, along with antagonizing, etc, etc.

No, I did not ...I'm not an admin on that site .....Tommy Owens did it after his last comment ..."this thread has run its course".   No biggie .... he was right.  And there was plenty of bitching going on too, along with antagonizing, etc, etc.

I'm not sure what you mean. Facebook threads are the model of civility and kindness.:huh:

• Like 1

There I go assuming again.  LOL.

• Like 1

Glad to read most would address this immediately. FWIW - from a coaching perspective,I'd question that glove on the bump during warmups if the gentlemen in blue did not address it.

• Like 1