Pitching Glove

Thunderheads
Umpire-Empire locks topics which have not been active in the last year. The thread you are viewing hasn't been active in 2696 days so you will not be able to post. We do recommend you starting a new topic to find out what's new in the world of umpiring.

Ok ...

I got this ad from Wilson on my Facebook feed today and for fun ...I posted the following:

HYPOTHETICAL:

Your first HS game starts with the pitcher walking to the mound with this new customized Wilson glove. What do you do....

15284174_10155582727488146_9949585823580

NOW .... I did this primarily because although TECHNICALLY ILLEGAL ...the amount of gray isn't egregious and I thought, well maybe I see if something is said, as to not be a "Barney Fife" and be an OOO right out of the gate.

Thoughts? 

14 minutes ago, kanedog said:

While he's taking his warm up pitches I tell his coach that the glove is illegal. He will have to change it before the ball is put in play.  The 8 pitches will give enough time for him to get a replacement from the dugout and the game isn't delayed. 

done in a relaxed subtle manner ....I totally concur!

• Like 2

40 minutes ago, kanedog said:

While he's taking his warm up pitches I tell his coach that the glove is illegal. He will have to change it before the ball is put in play.  The 8 pitches will give enough time for him to get a replacement from the dugout and the game isn't delayed. 

I love this approach. 

I've had situations where I've let a little white/gray slide. If a coach or player were to say it was distracting then I'd enforce the rule. But with this one it's not one I think I could let slide. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Thunderheads said:

just thought you may expound more than stating that it's illegal and too much to fix w/ a sharpie, that's all .....

Kids periodically show up to play with illegal equipment or uniforms. Last season, I had to send a kid off to change his shirt because he wanted to pitch with a long sleeve gray undershirt. See it, address it.

I'm not as nit picky about illegal gloves as some in my association (I have a friend who really carries a sharpie in his ball bag to blacken the white lettering of the "Rawlings" logo or whatever), but I would disallow the pictured glove.

Moreover, it's more important to address a glove like this than the long gray sleeves. If he pitches an inning with a gray shirt, there's no penalty. If he fields a fair batted ball or thrown ball with that glove, we should impose the penalty for illegal equipment (everyone remembers 8-3-3 off the top of their heads, right? Different for foul batted balls?).

I apologize for my terse response: I probably shouldn't have posted in the thread at all. The question strikes me as admitting of an obvious answer, and I don't really go in for "discussion for discussion's sake" (an attitude that disqualifies me from participating in the FaceBook "conversations" about such matters).

4 minutes ago, maven said:

Kids periodically show up to play with illegal equipment or uniforms. Last season, I had to send a kid off to change his shirt because he wanted to pitch with a long sleeve gray undershirt. See it, address it.

I'm not as nit picky about illegal gloves as some in my association (I have a friend who really carries a sharpie in his ball bag to blacken the white lettering of the "Rawlings" logo or whatever), but I would disallow the pictured glove.

Moreover, it's more important to address a glove like this than the long gray sleeves. If he pitches an inning with a gray shirt, there's no penalty. If he fields a fair batted ball or thrown ball with that glove, we should impose the penalty for illegal equipment (everyone remembers 8-3-3 off the top of their heads, right? Different for foul batted balls?).

I apologize for my terse response: I probably shouldn't have posted in the thread at all. The question strikes me as admitting of an obvious answer, and I don't really go in for "discussion for discussion's sake" (an attitude that disqualifies me from participating in the FaceBook "conversations" about such matters).

You always have good insight, that's why when I saw you responded, I wanted to see a little more :)

There's no penalty for that glove however, ..it's a "change" or "address" the situation

• Like 1

5 hours ago, maven said:

(an attitude that disqualifies me from participating in the FaceBook "conversations" about such matters).

I don't know why Jeff locked (I assume it was Jeff) the Facebook thread prohibiting any more comments.  The thread was going so well.:D

• Like 3

14 hours ago, lawump said:

I don't know why Jeff locked (I assume it was Jeff) the Facebook thread prohibiting any more comments.  The thread was going so well.:D

No, I did not ...I'm not an admin on that site .....Tommy Owens did it after his last comment ..."this thread has run its course".   No biggie .... he was right.  And there was plenty of bitching going on too, along with antagonizing, etc, etc.

No, I did not ...I'm not an admin on that site .....Tommy Owens did it after his last comment ..."this thread has run its course".   No biggie .... he was right.  And there was plenty of bitching going on too, along with antagonizing, etc, etc.

I'm not sure what you mean. Facebook threads are the model of civility and kindness.:huh:

• Like 1

There I go assuming again.  LOL.

• Like 1