Aloha from Kona!

KonaJeff

Hi there everyone. I'm new to the forum. 3 years umpiring youth baseball 8yo-14yo and starting High school games this upcoming season.  I have been looking through some of the other posts and I realize that I don't know what most of the abbreviations everyone seem to be using. I know BR=batter runner, F1-F9 are positions, R1,R2,R3 are base runners, PU= plate ump, U1 is a field ump.  What the heck are all the other ones you guys are using??  I will write down some examples and repost in a bit but I wanted to start the thread to see if there is a "key" somewhere

-----Keep Calm and Call Strikes

• Replies 12
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

14 minutes ago, KonaJeff said:

Hi there everyone. I'm new to the forum. 3 years umpiring youth baseball 8yo-14yo and starting High school games this upcoming season.  I have been looking through some of the other posts and I realize that I don't know what most of the abbreviations everyone seem to be using. I know BR=batter runner, F1-F9 are positions, R1,R2,R3 are base runners, PU= plate ump, U1 is a field ump.  What the heck are all the other ones you guys are using??  I will write down some examples and repost in a bit but I wanted to start the thread to see if there is a "key" somewhere

-----Keep Calm and Call Strikes

Welcome. In the "free for all" section, the common acronyms are pinned on top.

On 11/1/2016 at 9:30 AM, Thunderheads said:

Welcome Jeff ....and ..........your welcome! :wave: 

A kinder, gentler Thunderheads. He used to demand you find it on your own. LOL

The only thing to remember regarding R1, R2, and R3 is that sometimes, when posting about HS ball, the numbers could actually be the order of the runners rather than the base the are on.

For instance a runner on first and third (to the rest of the umpiring world would be r1/r3) would be listed as R1 on third and the runner on first could be R2.

Its maddening! But you will get used to it. Especially since you are starting to work HS (aka FED or NFHS) next year.

11 hours ago, BT_Blue said:

A kinder, gentler Thunderheads. He used to demand you find it on your own. LOL

The only thing to remember regarding R1, R2, and R3 is that sometimes, when posting about HS ball, the numbers could actually be the order of the runners rather than the base the are on.

For instance a runner on first and third (to the rest of the umpiring world would be r1/r3) would be listed as R1 on third and the runner on first could be R2.

Its maddening! But you will get used to it. Especially since you are starting to work HS (aka FED or NFHS) next year.

:wacko:

• 2 months later...

Thanks everybody.  Very helpful indeed.  JV baseball and Softball has begun here in sunny Hawaii (Kona anyhow, pretty rainy in Hilo)  and I am getting plenty of assignments, so far so good.  I think the other umpires in my organization are happy with the young blood. 

---keep calm and call strikes