Mister B

using magnets for patches

Just found out that I'll be getting a state tournament patch to add to my shirts. But I'm also realizing that I have many shirts. I wear a medium on the bases and a large over my CP, Add in the colors and that's a number of shirts to add patches to. I thought I had read here about using magnets and was wondering if that's pretty SOP. I thought these might work: https://www.amazon.com/totalElement-Magnetic-3-Magnet-Fastener-Adhesive/dp/B01HC3900S/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1476666446&sr=8-2&keywords=magnet+id+tags

Thanks. 

I use these for my patches on my shirts. Work great. I would recommend doing two sets of magnets. One on top. One on the bottom. Otherwise it flaps around when you lean forward.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Mister B said:

Just found out that I'll be getting a state tournament patch to add to my shirts. But I'm also realizing that I have many shirts. I wear a medium on the bases and a large over my CP, Add in the colors and that's a number of shirts to add patches to. I thought I had read here about using magnets and was wondering if that's pretty SOP. I thought these might work: https://www.amazon.com/totalElement-Magnetic-3-Magnet-Fastener-Adhesive/dp/B01HC3900S/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1476666446&sr=8-2&keywords=magnet+id+tags

Thanks. 

EXACTLY what @BT_Blue said! :nod: 

11 hours ago, Mister B said:

Just found out that I'll be getting a state tournament patch to add to my shirts.

Very effective humble-brag.

(And, congrats)

Safety bulletin! Guys just make sure you don't have a pacemaker, please, when you are using the magnets for your patches

I don't even have a heart!

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, JaxRolo said:

I don't even have a heart!

Of course not! 

3 year bump! Woo!!!

I'm about to start my first year as a registered official (starting with basketball, but I'll be doing baseball come spring), which means I have to have patches for the first time. I bought some magnets (basically the same as the ones linked above), and... It looks awful. It doesn't lay anywhere closed to flat and if viewed from any angle other than straight on, exposes the magnets and a large floppy gap. Can anyone share pictures of how they have attached the magnets to combat this problem?

For basketball, I can get away with sewing on the patch, though I'd much rather not as I think wearing patches for organizations you're not currently working is terrible optics, but I really don't want to buy and sew on patches for all my baseball shirts. My non NFHS work in baseball I take a little more seriously than that of basketball, and appearances matters that much more.

EDIT: Oh, and I guess that's my 300th post! 

22 hours ago, Biscuit said:

3 year bump! Woo!!!

I'm about to start my first year as a registered official (starting with basketball, but I'll be doing baseball come spring), which means I have to have patches for the first time. I bought some magnets (basically the same as the ones linked above), and... It looks awful. It doesn't lay anywhere closed to flat and if viewed from any angle other than straight on, exposes the magnets and a large floppy gap. Can anyone share pictures of how they have attached the magnets to combat this problem?

For basketball, I can get away with sewing on the patch, though I'd much rather not as I think wearing patches for organizations you're not currently working is terrible optics, but I really don't want to buy and sew on patches for all my baseball shirts. My non NFHS work in baseball I take a little more seriously than that of basketball, and appearances matters that much more.

EDIT: Oh, and I guess that's my 300th post! 

So the patch has a glue backing that "applies" when you heat it up right? 

Cut out a circular piece of cardboard to put on the back of the patch. Heat it up (with an iron I believe) so the patch sticks to the cardboard. Then put the magnets on the cardboard and put that on your shirt. This will help the patch stay flat and rigid and will look much better. 

1 hour ago, Stk004 said:

So the patch has a glue backing that "applies" when you heat it up right? 

Cut out a circular piece of cardboard to put on the back of the patch. Heat it up (with an iron I believe) so the patch sticks to the cardboard. Then put the magnets on the cardboard and put that on your shirt. This will help the patch stay flat and rigid and will look much better. 

Should the cardboard be the same size as the patch, or a little smaller? Do you bend the cardboard so it conforms to your sleeve? Otherwise it seems like it could make the problem even worse, by making it flat, staying off the body even more.

On 11/5/2019 at 10:42 AM, Biscuit said:

Should the cardboard be the same size as the patch, or a little smaller? Do you bend the cardboard so it conforms to your sleeve? Otherwise it seems like it could make the problem even worse, by making it flat, staying off the body even more.

Oh I didn't realize you were trying to put the patch on your sleeve. Mine goes over the pocket. I use cardboard that is the same size as the patch. 

• Like 1

On ‎11‎/‎5‎/‎2019 at 12:42 PM, Biscuit said:

Don't use magnets... It looks terrible on the sleeve. I use carpet tape. Double sided, comes off fairly easy and doesn't leave any residue if you take it off as soon as you are done.

• Like 1

22 hours ago, Stk004 said:

Oh I didn't realize you were trying to put the patch on your sleeve. Mine goes over the pocket. I use cardboard that is the same size as the patch. 

Is that acceptable most places? I don't think I've ever seen it. I'll have to check for KSHSAA.

31 minutes ago, Biscuit said:

Is that acceptable most places? I don't think I've ever seen it. I'll have to check for KSHSAA.

Varies by state and association. 

4 hours ago, Biscuit said:

It's legal for KSHSAA. http://www.kshsaa.org/Publications/OfficialsHandbook.pdf (bottom of page 25)

That doesn't mean that it's "normal" though.

Edited by kylehutson
Clarified reference