Fall Ball

GPblue
Umpire-Empire locks topics which have not been active in the last year. The thread you are viewing hasn't been active in 2699 days so you will not be able to post. We do recommend you starting a new topic to find out what's new in the world of umpiring.

Anyone working any fall ball games?  I worked 4 D2 this past weekend.  Players were competitive for the most part, pitching was mostly inconsistent. Coach for the home team was a church mouse.  Sunday VTHC gave my partner some crap.  Freshmen pitcher was struggling and he went out to talk to him. When my partner went to get him he started to complain about his zone and was asking my partner to give him a fair shake.

My partner was a fill in and only does HS. I thought he handled it well and laughed it off.

2 D3 games tomorrow.  Hard to tell how they will be as the HT plays in the lesser of the two competitive D3 Leagues in my area.

Anyone else with war stories as the air gets colder?

47 minutes ago, GPblue said:

Anyone working any fall ball games?  I worked 4 D2 this past weekend.  Players were competitive for the most part, pitching was mostly inconsistent. Coach for the home team was a church mouse.  Sunday VTHC gave my partner some crap.  Freshmen pitcher was struggling and he went out to talk to him. When my partner went to get him he started to complain about his zone and was asking my partner to give him a fair shake.

My partner was a fill in and only does HS. I thought he handled it well and laughed it off.

2 D3 games tomorrow.  Hard to tell how they will be as the HT plays in the lesser of the two competitive D3 Leagues in my area.

I don't go get coaches during mound conferences in fall ball.

• Like 2

21 minutes ago, GPblue said:

he was on there for 90 sec and was waiting for my partner. It was clear the coach wasn't going to let the game continue till he came out.

LOL - make him sweat it out. :)

• Like 1

27 minutes ago, grayhawk said:

LOL - make him sweat it out. :)

I talked to a senior member of my College Assoc. because he knows my partner from summer ball and he said he would have given him an official warning for balls and strikes.

The coach is notorious for bating umpires by playing the nice guy and keeping a calm down with questioning their ability.

2 hours ago, GPblue said:

I talked to a senior member of my College Assoc. because he knows my partner from summer ball and he said he would have given him an official warning for balls and strikes.

The coach is notorious for bating umpires by playing the nice guy and keeping a calm down with questioning their ability.

This was not questioning ability. This was questioning integrity/calling him a cheater.

1 hour ago, GPblue said:

Are you looking to get into college for the spring and want to get some innings to start?

I'm just really looking to keep getting better. I would like to keep advancing and my goal in umpiring is to make a conference staff... then I will look for bigger goals. I just like working games and pushing myself to be better every time I go out there.

20 minutes ago, JSam21 said:

I'm just really looking to keep getting better. I would like to keep advancing and my goal in umpiring is to make a conference staff... then I will look for bigger goals. I just like working games and pushing myself to be better every time I go out there.

that's the goal that I have for myself every time I get on a diamond.  What can I do for myself to get better.

I think others can give you more incite, but I would say find a clinic that will have assigners at that can give you a fair assessment.  Also, if there are colleges nearby, reach out to the AD/Coach to see which group they receive their umpires from and they can get you in touch with who the right people to get you on a game would be.

What part of the country are you in?

14 minutes ago, GPblue said:

that's the goal that I have for myself every time I get on a diamond.  What can I do for myself to get better.

I think others can give you more incite, but I would say find a clinic that will have assigners at that can give you a fair assessment.  Also, if there are colleges nearby, reach out to the AD/Coach to see which group they receive their umpires from and they can get you in touch with who the right people to get you on a game would be.

I'm in the St. Louis area. I'm going to the Mid-American Camp next year.

• Like 2

On 10/14/2016 at 8:27 AM, GPblue said:

Why would you go to the mound in a fall ball tournament?  Not saying you did it, but why?  Fall ball is for the coaches to coach. If a coach has something to say to me in fall ball they always come to me and ask where the pitcher is missing.  Always in a regular tone of voice.  Going to the mound is inviting the coach to go after you in a fall ball game. My thoughts.

15 hours ago, umpstu said:

Why would you go to the mound in a fall ball tournament?  Not saying you did it, but why?  Fall ball is for the coaches to coach. If a coach has something to say to me in fall ball they always come to me and ask where the pitcher is missing.  Always in a regular tone of voice.  Going to the mound is inviting the coach to go after you in a fall ball game. My thoughts.

It was clear the coach wasn't going to move till the umpire came out.   

• Like 1

On ‎10‎/‎17‎/‎2016 at 4:20 PM, GPblue said:

Another thing - check with local colleges and work their inter-squad stuff. I think that NCAA says no more practice or games now, now that I think about it. When they start back up, you may be able to get some cage work at a local college, they are always looking for guys.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, maineump said:

Another thing - check with local colleges and work their inter-squad stuff. I think that NCAA says no more practice or games now, now that I think about it. When they start back up, you may be able to get some cage work at a local college, they are always looking for guys.

come on Maine ump----walk him through. How did it go for you. did you call the UM head coach and ask if you could work his games. Or does your group provide umpires? Wouldn't other HS or guys looking to move up be upset if the way to work games is to call a coach. Isn't that too much like brown nosing the coach?? rather than your local group sending you.

Do you just call up Steve Trimper and say. Hey Steve--this is Maineump and I would like to umpire your fall games and any intersquad games???

Then let others talk about what they did. Where are the guys from St. Louis. Do you just call Darrin Hendrickson on the phone and tell him you would like to work his fall baseball schedule or inter squad game???

Nothing you told him was wrong. I just want you to tell him how this goes in your area. It may be just how I said it above. However, let him know exactly what you would have to do in Maine.

Others can tell how it works in their area.

And of course the Missouri crowd can chime in.

Ok. where is all that help and resources on how a guy moving up in your area is going to have to do it. For better or worse. Also tell if you got a special dispensation 15-20 years ago and could walk right in the door back then, whereas today it is much harder to do. Don't sugar coat that 15-20 years ago there were not as many hoops to jump through and you were lucky and got games in your 2nd or 3rd year or even your 1st. where as today it usually takes 5 years.

Just tell it like it is in your area.

• Like 1

11 hours ago, dumbdumb said:

come on Maine ump----walk him through. How did it go for you. did you call the UM head coach and ask if you could work his games. Or does your group provide umpires? Wouldn't other HS or guys looking to move up be upset if the way to work games is to call a coach. Isn't that too much like brown nosing the coach?? rather than your local group sending you.

Do you just call up Steve Trimper and say. Hey Steve--this is Maineump and I would like to umpire your fall games and any intersquad games???

Then let others talk about what they did. Where are the guys from St. Louis. Do you just call Darrin Hendrickson on the phone and tell him you would like to work his fall baseball schedule or inter squad game???

Nothing you told him was wrong. I just want you to tell him how this goes in your area. It may be just how I said it above. However, let him know exactly what you would have to do in Maine.

Ok. where is all that help and resources on how a guy moving up in your area is going to have to do it. For better or worse. Also tell if you got a special dispensation 15-20 years ago and could walk right in the door back then, whereas today it is much harder to do. Don't sugar coat that 15-20 years ago there were not as many hoops to jump through and you were lucky and got games in your 2nd or 3rd year or even your 1st. where as today it usually takes 5 years.

When I first started umpiring by my 4th year I was being assigned college games mixed in with my high school schedule... Now the group I worked for only has one high school and some college games along with tournaments and American Legion in the summer.

I did email a school down the street from me just to let them know that I was available if needed.

Update... Just got an email back from that coach and he wants me to work this weekend for them.

• Like 3

11 hours ago, dumbdumb said:

I guess I can tell my story since I am just getting into college ball, but am fortunate as there is a good amount of teams (Western PA) in our area.

There were a few guys that I had worked with in the summer that umpire college, one of which is a D1 umpire.  I had told him I had interest in getting into college, so the game was a summer college league and he gave me a fair assessment.  I then registered for CBUA and luckily he was able to reach out to the D3 assigner in the area and let him know I am capable to do D2 and D3 games. As soon as i was registered the assigner threw some fall ball games, because there are a lot of older guys in this area in CBUA that don't always take those games.

There is another group in our area that it is not as simple to get in to that handles the large D2 conference in our state.  I had a board member come out to watch me do a game, and then I attended one of their local clinics.  I am still in a waiting process to get approved to join their group.  I am told I should hear in November.

As far as getting fall ball games,  I was lucky that I umpired at the one college's summer showcase games and the coaches (father and son) appreciated my skill and were aware that I was taking the next step so they were able to give me some games.

dumbdumb from my very short time I would say to just get your name out to some local schools and let them know you are trying to improve yourself.  I know that it's not always the case, but coaches are men too and if you treat them as such, they will do you a solid.  It's not brown nosing, it's being civil and doing the right thing.

12 hours ago, dumbdumb said:

Fair enough -

When I first started doing college fall ball, I didn't know Steve. Some of the guys on our HS board heard that Maine was looking for guys to work their fall ball - I called and asked if they needed anyone. Of course they said yes (so their catchers didn't have to call the games). I did 3 or 4 fall seasons before I applied to do college ball in the spring, as I wanted to improve and have an idea of what I was getting into.

Now that I have been calling for a number of years there, I now do the assigning for the fall games. An e-mail is sent to the entire board, to get on the list for fall ball. I do my best to give everyone an equal amount of games, both plate and base. The 'rules' of who does what, for the inter squad - anyone on the HS board is welcome. If they are playing another school, they want college guys or HS guys that are up to the task. We have found it to be a low stress way to work a higher level, and to get better. You still get the 'looks' from the players, but the coaches are cool. They will also give me an evaluation of the guys (in their opinions) - which I do pass on to the guys. It really seems to help the guys trying to get better.

We also are invited to call their cage sessions or inside sessions, before they make their southern swing in the spring.

The D-3 school in our area also uses some of our HS guys to do the fall ball as well. Another of the HS guys assign them. Not sure how that system works.

38 minutes ago, JSam21 said:

Emailed the coach at the NCAA DII school down the street from me... I'm working games for them Friday and Saturday... 3-man crews. Time to bone up on my 3-man mechanics

Have fun :) 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, JSam21 said:

Emailed the coach at the NCAA DII school down the street from me... I'm working games for them Friday and Saturday... 3-man crews. Time to bone up on my 3-man mechanics

Excellent.  Kinda surprised they asked for a 3 man in the fall, but it's their money.

Any idea if they use 3 during the conference play?  

23 minutes ago, GPblue said:

Excellent.  Kinda surprised they asked for a 3 man in the fall, but it's their money.

Any idea if they use 3 during the conference play?  

I believe that the GLVC does use 3 man...