2017 Rule Changes/POE's Announced

lawump
Umpire-Empire locks topics which have not been active in the last year. The thread you are viewing hasn't been active in 2671 days so you will not be able to post. We do recommend you starting a new topic to find out what's new in the world of umpiring.

They have been released. 

Here are the highlights of rule changes AND/OR Points of emphasis for 2017-18:

1.  If a batter has an illegal bat and it is discovered before the first pitch, he is out.  (Rule 1-12 Penalty)

2.  Maximum glove length for a fielder is now 13-inches.

3.  The bullpen for the home and visitor should be comparable in quality and the pitchers should warm up in the bullpen in sight and sound of the playing field (not, for example, in a cage under a stadium).  (Personal Note:  I don't know what "should" means.)

4.  On a steal attempt, if the throw is wild and the runner and a fielder (who tried to field the wild throw) tangle...that tangle alone is not obstruction.

5.  Catcher can't block a runner attempting to score unless he has possession of the ball or he is in the "act of fielding" a throw.  The throw must be near enough the fielder that he has to occupy his position to field the throw in order to be considered in the "act of fielding" a throw.

6.  When giving a warning you MUST say, "This is your official warning.  If you continue, you will leave me no option but to eject you."  Statements such as "That's enough!" or "knock it off!" or I've heard enough!" do NOT constitute a warning.

7.  If a head coach is ejected an assistant coach becomes the "substitute head coach".  If the substitute head coach is ejected, he still is subjected to the one-game mandatory suspension that all assistant coaches are subject to for being ejected.  He is not excused from the mandatory one-game suspension just because he happened to be the "substitute head coach" at the time of his ejection.  He is still treated as an assistant coach for the purposes of the suspension rule/chart.

8. Do not check the baseball like this is Major League Baseball.  (My words, not their words.)  They don't want the game slowed due to an umpire checking the ball every time it nicks the dirt.

9.  If the bases are loaded in the bottom of the ninth (or an extra inning) and R3 represents the winning run, the game ends (1) on a base-on-balls, (2) a hit-by-pitch or (3) "any other play with bases full which forces the batter and all runners to advance without liability to be put out" WHEN R3 touches home plate and the B/R touches first base. 

10.  Hit by pitch rule changed again.  "If, in the umpire's judgment, the batter is unable to make an attempt to avoid the pitch, the batter will be awarded first base."

11.  Windup Position:  The pitcher shall stand with his chest and shoulders generally facing the batter..."

Regarding #9, my understanding in OBR is if the batter fails to advance after being told to by the umpire he will be called out and no run scores. Will this be how NCAA does it or will it be an appeal play?

Segue:

R3, ball four wild pitch, R3 scores as the B-R stands cheering for the game ending run. Do we tell him to go to 1B in OBR and if he doesn't then call him out with no run scoring. NCAA? FED I think it's an appeal play. Walking off the field quickly is not an option in this OP just because.

22 minutes ago, Jimurray said:

Regarding #9, my understanding in OBR is if the batter fails to advance after being told to by the umpire he will be called out and no run scores. Will this be how NCAA does it or will it be an appeal play?

Segue:

R3, ball four wild pitch, R3 scores as the B-R stands cheering for the game ending run. Do we tell him to go to 1B in OBR and if he doesn't then call him out with no run scoring. NCAA? FED I think it's an appeal play. Walking off the field quickly is not an option in this OP just because.

Without any rule cites, I'd say in your situation BR does not need to touch 1B. It's the force that makes the BR's touch of 1B with the bases loaded a requirement for the run to score. In the WP example, the count has no bearing on the run scoring. Ball 3, strike 2..no matter. The run scores on the WP, not because of ball 4 to the batter.

1 minute ago, Richvee said:

Without any rule cites, I'd say in your situation BR does not need to touch 1B. It's the force that makes the BR's touch of 1B with the bases loaded a requirement for the run to score. In the WP example, the count has no bearing on the run scoring. Ball 3, strike 2..no matter. The run scores on the WP, not because of ball 4 to the batter.

If it was WP strike 3 they could still throw out the batter become batter-runner out and negate the run. Ball four makes him a batter-runner. Does he have to complete his baserunning responsibility? 

16 hours ago, lawump said:

They have been released. 

Here are the highlights of rule changes AND/OR Points of emphasis for 2017-18:

1.  If a batter has an illegal bat and it is discovered before the first pitch, he is out.  (Rule 1-12 Penalty)

2.  Maximum glove length for a fielder is now 13-inches.

3.  The bullpen for the home and visitor should be comparable in quality and the pitchers should warm up in the bullpen in sight and sound of the playing field (not, for example, in a cage under a stadium).  (Personal Note:  I don't know what "should" means.)

4.  On a steal attempt, if the throw is wild and the runner and a fielder (who tried to field the wild throw) tangle...that tangle alone is not obstruction.

5.  Catcher can't block a runner attempting to score unless he has possession of the ball or he is in the "act of fielding" a throw.  The throw must be near enough the fielder that he has to occupy his position to field the throw in order to be considered in the "act of fielding" a throw.

6.  When giving a warning you MUST say, "This is your official warning.  If you continue, you will leave me no option but to eject you."  Statements such as "That's enough!" or "knock it off!" or I've heard enough!" do NOT constitute a warning.

7.  If a head coach is ejected an assistant coach becomes the "substitute head coach".  If the substitute head coach is ejected, he still is subjected to the one-game mandatory suspension that all assistant coaches are subject to for being ejected.  He is not excused from the mandatory one-game suspension just because he happened to be the "substitute head coach" at the time of his ejection.  He is still treated as an assistant coach for the purposes of the suspension rule/chart.

8. Do not check the baseball like this is Major League Baseball.  (My words, not their words.)  They don't want the game slowed due to an umpire checking the ball every time it nicks the dirt.

9.  If the bases are loaded in the bottom of the ninth (or an extra inning) and R3 represents the winning run, the game ends (1) on a base-on-balls, (2) a hit-by-pitch or (3) "any other play with bases full which forces the batter and all runners to advance without liability to be put out" WHEN R3 touches home plate and the B/R touches first base. 

10.  Hit by pitch rule changed again.  "If, in the umpire's judgment, the batter is unable to make an attempt to avoid the pitch, the batter will be awarded first base."

11.  Windup Position:  The pitcher shall stand with his chest and shoulders generally facing the batter..."

Where did you get this?

48 minutes ago, JaxRolo said:

Where did you get this?

It's on the NCAA Baseball central Hub (well, some version of it is).

And, like the FED changes, these are just the "summary".  the details of the wording and any ARs will be posted once the rule books come out (to address Jimmurray's questions).

• Like 1

2 hours ago, JaxRolo said:

Where did you get this?

The NCAA published a 17-page power point presentation with these on their NCAA Central Hub...as noumpere pointed out.

Like FED, we DO need to wait until the rulebook is published. 

• Like 1

The other big one for this year is they are effectively eliminating catch and carry in college baseball.  This was explained to us and the coaches in a meeting a few weeks ago for d1.  This will be interesting for them, much easier for us. 

6-4 e

"Each runner, other than batter, may without liability to be put out, advance one base when a fielder, after catching a fly ball, steps or falls into any out-of-play area."

8 hours ago, hckyosgood30 said:

The other big one for this year is they are effectively eliminating catch and carry in college baseball.  This was explained to us and the coaches in a meeting a few weeks ago for d1.  This will be interesting for them, much easier for us. 

6-4 e

"Each runner, other than batter, may without liability to be put out, advance one base when a fielder, after catching a fly ball, steps or falls into any out-of-play area."

If true (and I'm not doubting you), I would think it's important enough to make the list of changes on the website.

22 hours ago, hckyosgood30 said:

6-4 e

Then they're following MiLB which made this same change this year (2016) in their manual without advertising it.

2 hours ago, lawump said:

Then they're following MiLB which made this same change this year (2016) in their manual without advertising it.

This is all the advertisement we got in the 2016 OBR:

"Summary of Rule Changes for 2016"

"• Amended Rule 5.06(b)(3)(C) and 5.06(b)(3)(C) Comment regarding a
fielder stepping or falling into an out-of-play area."

But I think we did discuss it in a U-E thread when it happened.

I knew that hit by pitch would change.  Way, way too many complaints.  The only way he stays now is if he leans into it.  You make a judgement call like he could have gotten out of the way and it opens up a whole can of worms for every batter.  Give them all first base.  That's what the coaches wanted anyway.

#11 - so a pitcher in an "open" set cannot face the batter with his face and shoulders? Much ado about nothing for umpires and possibly a some runners who need to know what the pitcher is going to do when it doesn't matter. Except for the QP from a sideways position which is already covered by rule.

This was the rule in the 2015-16 book. What changed?

Obstruction
SECTION 55. The act of a fielder who, while not in possession of or in the act
of fielding the ball, impedes the progress of any runner.
See specific rule sections for action to be taken: catcher (8-2-e); fielder (8-2-e,
f and h, 8-3-e, f and g); visual obstruction (8-3-f).
Type 1 Obstruction: When obstruction by a fielder is committed against a
runner on which a play is being made, the umpire shall call “That’s obstruction”
while pointing at the obstruction and then signal and call “Time.” The ball is
dead immediately. All runners shall be awarded bases they would have reached
had there been no obstruction. The obstructed runner shall be awarded at least
one base beyond his last legally touched base before the obstruction.
Type 2 Obstruction: The second type of obstruction deals with cases when a
runner is obstructed while no play is being made on him. This obstruction is
to be signaled by the umpire by pointing at the obstruction and calling, “That’s
obstruction.” The ball is NOT dead. The umpire shall allow play to continue
until all action has ceased and then call “Time” and impose such penalties that
will nullify the act of obstruction.
A.R. 1 If the fielder is about to receive a thrown ball and the ball is in flight directly
toward and near enough to the fielder so he must occupy his position to receive the
throw, he may be considered “in the act of fielding the ball.”

A.R. 2 When a fielder has made an attempt to field a batted or thrown ball, has
missed and is in pursuit of the ball, he may no longer be considered “in the act” of
fielding.
A.R. 3 After a fielder has misplayed a batted ball and the ball is “within a step and a
reach” the fielder is still considered “in the act.”
A.R. 4 On a pickoff play at any base, the defensive player must clearly have
possession of the ball before blocking the base with any part of the defensive player’s
body. The umpire will call “That’s obstruction” and then signal and call “Time.”
The ball is dead immediately, and the runner being played on is awarded one base
beyond the last base he had attained before the obstruction.

On 9/25/2016 at 10:57 AM, Rich Ives said:

How is #5 any different from the 2015-16 rule?

It is entirely possible that it didn't.  (I don't have my rule book in front of me.)  But the list is both rule changes AND points of emphasis.

• 2 weeks later...

Kind of surprised no has mentioned #6 and having to include the verbiage " This is your official warning.  If you continue, you will leave me no option but to eject you."  It was discussed at a clinic I was at this weekend, that those exact words MUST be in your report if you eject.  

Anyone feel this is overkill or just a means to stopping something to keep coaches/players in the game?