Oakley Prizm Lenses

umpire20
Umpire-Empire locks topics which have not been active in the last year. The thread you are viewing hasn't been active in 2756 days so you will not be able to post. We do recommend you starting a new topic to find out what's new in the world of umpiring.

I've been using Oakley Prizm (Prizm Baseball Infield) lenses and want to tell all of you that these are the real deal. They don't darken your view like some lenses and, in fact, they brighten the colors you see while also eliminating glare. I've never worn prescription glasses, but the first time I wore these on the diamond it felt like I was wearing corrective lenses. I use the Half Jacket 2.0 frame with XL sized lenses. I thought it was necessary to give credit where credit is due. If you're in the market for a new pair, I'd give these lenses a shot.

• Like 2

Maybe it's only for Rx lenses, but Oakley no longer has Outfield and infield lenses. Just one....Baseball. There was very little difference between the two to begin with. I wear corrective lenses and I have a pair of the Flak 2.0 XL. The vision is tremendous. Sharper than my regular Rx glasses. If you wear corrective lenses and are considering a pair, spend the extra $$ and get the anti-reflective coating on the back side.

• Like 3

8 hours ago, Richvee said:

Maybe it's only for Rx lenses, but Oakley no longer has Outfield and infield lenses. Just one....Baseball. There was very little difference between the two to begin with. I wear corrective lenses and I have a pair of the Flak 2.0 XL. The vision is tremendous. Sharper than my regular Rx glasses. If you wear corrective lenses and are considering a pair, spend the extra $$ and get the anti-reflective coating on the back side.

This info is correct.  There was such little difference, there is now only one baseball lens.  I believe they use the other lens for lacrosse, if I'm not mistaken, ...anyhow, I've heard nothing but great things on these.  I love my Transitions lenses in my Split Jackets, but would love the Prizm for bright days

• Like 2

Sun glasses for me have always been challenging to find a pair that fits well. I recently (ish) got the M2's for daily use and I have never found a more comfortable and snug fitting pair of sun glasses. If you're in the market for Oakley glasses, I'd at least try these on. :2cents:

• Like 1

Add me to the list of Prizm fans. I've been using a pair of Flak 2.0s with Baseball Infield lenses (got them before they consolidated the two types into just "Baseball") since the beginning of the season and they really are great. Great for behind the dish on bright days and they aren't so dark that you need to take them off if the sun ducks behind some clouds. Contrast enhancement of the white ball against the green grass is quite noticeable.

I also occasionally still use my trusty Fast Jackets with Blue Iridium lenses. They're also a contrast lens aimed at golfers (same principle, white ball on green grass) but are a touch darker than the Prizm Baseball Infield. Great for behind the plate or on the bases. IMO, Blue Iridium is the best kept secret for baseball umpires. 

I wonder which of the two Oakley kept as the new unified "Prizm Baseball" lens. The difference between the two was that the Infield lens had a VLT value of 20% and the Outfield a value of 15%, meaning the Outfield lens was slightly darker than the Infield.

But the Prizm lenses do indeed work as advertised. Highly recommended.

• Like 2

12 hours ago, Man_In_Black said:

Add me to the list of Prizm fans. I've been using a pair of Flak 2.0s with Baseball Infield lenses (got them before they consolidated the two types into just "Baseball") since the beginning of the season and they really are great. Great for behind the dish on bright days and they aren't so dark that you need to take them off if the sun ducks behind some clouds. Contrast enhancement of the white ball against the green grass is quite noticeable.

I also occasionally still use my trusty Fast Jackets with Blue Iridium lenses. They're also a contrast lens aimed at golfers (same principle, white ball on green grass) but are a touch darker than the Prizm Baseball Infield. Great for behind the plate or on the bases. IMO, Blue Iridium is the best kept secret for baseball umpires. 

I wonder which of the two Oakley kept as the new unified "Prizm Baseball" lens. The difference between the two was that the Infield lens had a VLT value of 20% and the Outfield a value of 15%, meaning the Outfield lens was slightly darker than the Infield.

great info ......

also ....I'd heard that the INFIELD was kept as baseball, as a slightly "lighter" lens was more versatile.  I'll try to fact-check that for us though ......

great tid-bit on the Ice Blue Iridium ...always loved that look on that lens, never had it, but love it!

• Like 1

On 9/13/2016 at 5:52 PM, umpire20 said:

I've been using Oakley Prizm (Prizm Baseball Infield) lenses and want to tell all of you that these are the real deal. They don't darken your view like some lenses and, in fact, they brighten the colors you see while also eliminating glare. I've never worn prescription glasses, but the first time I wore these on the diamond it felt like I was wearing corrective lenses. I use the Half Jacket 2.0 frame with XL sized lenses. I thought it was necessary to give credit where credit is due. If you're in the market for a new pair, I'd give these lenses a shot.

Your post motivated us to have our Oakley rep bring a pair by to view.

WE LOVE 'EM! The Flak 2.0 Prizm XL Field will be a new product add in 2017.

http://www.oakley.com/en/mens/sunglasses/prizm-sunglasses/prizm-trade-field/flak-2-0-xl-prizm-field/product/W0OO9295XLPZBB/?skuCode=OO9188-03&categoryCode=m0201012

Thanks for the suggestion. We're listening!

• Like 3

On 9/18/2016 at 7:10 PM, Man_In_Black said:

Awesome!

I know someone on here mentioned the Golf version and I hope they work well. Just picked up a pair of the black Flak 2.0's for $60 bucks...definitely planning on bringing them to a dealer to check authenticity before the return period passes...but if they check out I may have found a deal!

7 hours ago, JoHart10 said:

I know someone on here mentioned the Golf version and I hope they work well. Just picked up a pair of the black Flak 2.0's for $60 bucks...definitely planning on bringing them to a dealer to check authenticity before the return period passes...but if they check out I may have found a deal!

It wasn't me but I have some golf lenses and love them.

I am just wondering...has anyone had problems with evaluators, assigners or association officials with these since they are not black?  I was told that i needed to use all black frames and lenses on my field sunglasses?

On 9/23/2016 at 9:23 PM, Storm13 said:

I am just wondering...has anyone had problems with evaluators, assigners or association officials with these since they are not black?  I was told that i needed to use all black frames and lenses on my field sunglasses?

I haven't had any complaints, but it would be interesting to hear if anyone has had issues with evaluators.

53 minutes ago, umpire20 said:

I haven't had any complaints, but it would be interesting to hear if anyone has had issues with evaluators.

I have been to the Walsh 3 man clinic in Indy and the Doane 3 man invite clinic in Grand Rapids this year and wore my Prizms at both clinics.  No one ever said anything negative about them.  Some of the best instructors in the country, so I think someone would have said something if that was something they thought was inappropriate.

• Like 1

I didn't wear mine for plate work during clinics. I wanted the instructors to able to see if I was tracking well with my eyes. Wore my clear glasses.

Never had an issue from evaluators/assigners about them....Just the random "take off those shades and maybe you can get the call right" from the irate parent(s) whose team was on the wrong end of a banger at 1B. Makes me laugh even harder thinking "If they only knew how bad my vision is  without the Rx sun lenses."

• Like 2

On 9/23/2016 at 9:23 PM, Storm13 said:

They need to concentrate on Umpire's abilities not his accessories.

• Like 1

I talked with an Oakley rep this week and asked about the baseball infield and outfield lenses. 

As we have said here, there was very little difference between the 2. Now there is only one..."field". She said the color is not identicle to either the old infield or outfield, but a combination. So the new Field lens varies  very slightly from the old outfield or infield lenses. Trust me, I've seen them all, and when I say slight, I mean slight. So slight in fact it's tough to tell any of the three apart. 

• Like 2