A new low in player behavior

stkjock
Umpire-Empire locks topics which have not been active in the last year. The thread you are viewing hasn't been active in 2751 days so you will not be able to post. We do recommend you starting a new topic to find out what's new in the world of umpiring.

I'm both surprised and not surprised. 

Surprised that:

• Someone at the school had the audacity to release that statement.
  • The school thinks people will buy that load of crap
  • That the thug was actually arrested on the field (good job :clap:)
  • The general public/ media seems to be condemning him for doing it

Not surprised that:

• Things like this continue to happen on athletic fields around the country
    • But as long as schools continue to defend these and the behavior isn't stomped out it will continue. 

I hope this guy has NASO to help him.

I am waiting to see what the NCAA has to say about the matter. IMHO, because the school made such an ignorant attempt to "excuse" this abhorrent behavior, the consequences should be increased to the school. 

• Like 1

I can see what they are talking about.  The kid's head/helmet moved prior to the referee going down.  It looked to me like he punched his own helmet and got the ref on the follow through.  Not excusing what happened at all, but it doesn't look like he intentionally took a swing at the referee.

• Like 1

26 minutes ago, grayhawk said:

I can see what they are talking about.  The kid's head/helmet moved prior to the referee going down.  It looked to me like he punched his own helmet and got the ref on the follow through.  Not excusing what happened at all, but it doesn't look like he intentionally took a swing at the referee.

I am not sure football referee protocol, but the official that was punched sure has his hands on that player quite a bit and pushing him away from the situation.  What happened to "if a fight breaks out, start writing down numbers"

• Like 1

I do not  understand why non padded, non helmeted referees try to manhandle LARGE violent young men when they are angry!  

GPblue said it best  "if a fight breaks out, start writing down numbers"

After the melee is over AND the ejections are rendered inform the coaches they are now down 10-14 players so " Have fun wining this one"

When the coach is now using the waterboy at tailback and looses the game MAYBE he will institute some new rules on fighting and/or think carefully about recruiting THUGS to play for him. 

2 hours ago, BigUmpire said:

I do not  understand why non padded, non helmeted referees try to manhandle LARGE violent young men when they are angry!  

GPblue said it best  "if a fight breaks out, start writing down numbers"

After the melee is over AND the ejections are rendered inform the coaches they are now down 10-14 players so " Have fun wining this one"

When the coach is now using the waterboy at tailback and looses the game MAYBE he will institute some new rules on fighting and/or think carefully about recruiting THUGS to play for him. 

I agree. Not a smart decision

12 hours ago, grayhawk said:

I tend to disagree. Was clearly a shot to the official, not his own head.

Don't see that at all.

I contend that the official was in the wrong place, doing the wrong thing. Now, I know that there are some football officials on other boards who consider this a valid way to control players, but I strongly disagree. He was the only official on the field trying to control a much larger person, surrounded by his teammates. This is a recipe for a disaster, and injury. I don't do football, but common sense tells me that I am right. No responsible governing body would expect or condone this as an official mechanic or tactic.

14 hours ago, Ump29 said:

I tend to disagree. Was clearly a shot to the official, not his own head.

"Clearly?"  The video quality is poor, and you can "clearly" see that it was a shot to the official?  Disagree all you want, but to say that anything is clear from that video brings your credibility into question.

8 minutes ago, grayhawk said:

You don't see the player's helmet move to his left just before the referee drops?

I just rewatched the video, coincidentally on Fox Sports, I see what you refer to GH.  The poor quality makes it hard to determine for me if there was intent to hit himself first, however he does, IMHO.

23 minutes ago, Sut'n Blue said:

The last line in the sgvtirbune article says that earlier in the season the kid hit himself in the head hard enough to give himself a concussion. I guess we know he isn't majoring in rocket science. 

No kidding....and this is a habit for him? Early onset CTE, anyone?