Baseball Paul

What Mask is this?

The throat extension doesn't look like a Nike or a +POS. It's probably a powder coated version of this Wilsn Dyna Lite. Not sure how this version is different than the one we usually see (if at all).

image.jpeg

It's hollow steel, that much is certain. The clipped and flattened bar ends are the giveaway, as aluminum and titanium would both be solid wire, with blunt bar (wire) ends.

+POS can be ruled out by checking its profile from the side. The ZRO-G is fuller, more of a half-sphere. Both the Wilson and the Nike were fashioned to be "low profile", with shallower depth and an abbreviated wedge shape when seen from the side.

Another telltale detail is the two hoops. The bullring (forehead) and the wicket (mouth) are more truly U-shaped in Nikes and +POS, but become almost V-shaped in Wilson.

Wilson implemented the single-bar ear strut a few years ago, but up until just a few years ago, they still had a few masks with the arrow-point ear struts. Nike has always used the arrow-points on the Steel and Titanium (strangely, though, the "Retail Teardrop" Nike mask lacks any struts, and the chin guard is dramatically tapered – like a teardrop). 

Now, because the Nike Steels are made in such limited quantities in what must be per-need contracted shops, there may be inconsistencies between two Nike Steel masks placed side-by-side. In fact, you may have a Nike Steel (tagged as such) next to a 5-year old Dynalite HF (hollow frame, surely when they did the arrow-point struts), and it'll turn out they were made by the same plant in China, thus, used the same planform.

I'm inclined to agree with @LittleBlue... It's probably an older (but still very good) Wilson.

Wilson still sells these as a 'catchers' version ...... you can find them on ebay.  Obviously, the vinyl dip has been taken off and it's been powdercoated

The guy on eBay says it is a powder coated Wilson dyna light. 

I agree it is a Wilson

My partner for PG matchups this weekend trotted out a "fairly new" Wilson DynaLite... Steel... but there was that vinyl dip again!!! I mean, at first glance, I thought I saw a +POS Fiberglass Composite mask, that's how thick the bars look!

Wilson, I know you're now doing Aluminum, but would it kill ya to do powder coating, even halfway decent large-volume batch jobs, on the steel masks???!!! 

Good grief. Most miserly and backwards-thinking company on earth.

I'm fairly certain if @Majordave wasn't occupied with his law consultation duties, we could supply him a variety of "tools" and he'd have a field day removing the vinyl off these masks.