Respecting An Organization's President

MRG9999
Umpire-Empire locks topics which have not been active in the last year. The thread you are viewing hasn't been active in 2776 days so you will not be able to post. We do recommend you starting a new topic to find out what's new in the world of umpiring.

Question to all of you - how can you respect a Youth League's president who puts his own personal agenda ahead of the leagues agenda to get rid of people who do not agree with him ? 

This season he removed the leagues safety officer for reason of "actions being detrimental to the development of the kids" because the safety officer / coach formed his own Colt team.  The president  wanted to have a "fair draft" and play in a highly competitive league.  The results would have been 'detrimental to the development of the kids" as he stated because the Colt team which played in that league was made up of kids from the varsity and JV, not kids who just wanted to play REC ball. If he had his way, both teams would not have won a game.  His buddy who agrees with his agenda was appointed to the safety officer position.

The umpire coordinator was recently removed by the same president because the umpire coordinator who umpired available games within the league paid himself for the games he officiated.  The president stated that the umpire coordinator position is a non paid position.   The coordinator had to get the games covered and he did them himself.  His same buddy who agrees with his agenda was appointed to the umpire coordinator position.

A coach pitch president was removed due to a "missed email that he did not respond to" because he was traveling on business.  Four hours was too long for a reply. He instructed all coach pitch coaches to direct all emails to him.

The Tournament Chairperson was basically a figure head because the president took over his duties due to he didn't like how the tournament was shaping up. 

I can go on with some more, but not worth it. 

I was the safety officer / coach who formed the Colt team with kids who wanted to continue to play with the better school team players.  We had a susccessful year, but if I was forced to take some rec kids, we would not have been that successful or the team would not have been entered in the league.

Your thoughts ???  

33 minutes ago, MRG9999 said:

I was the safety officer / coach who formed the Colt team with kids who wanted to continue to play with the better school team players.  We had a susccessful year, but if I was forced to take some rec kids, we would not have been that successful or the team would not have been entered in the league. 

Are you talking about the regular season or the tournament here?  A league shouldn't set up a team for failure, so I agree with your president's desire for a fair draft.  If the youth organization is a Little League, bringing an outside team intact into the league is against the rules.

You might want to check into the by-laws or national rules with respect to removing board members.  That is, the president might not be authorized to remove board members in the manner you described.

The league I am referring to was made up of teams from other areas of the four surrounding counties whose kids played high school ball. This was not the local youth league.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

He wanted us to draft two teams fairly to play in that league comprised of other school teams with their school players. I umpired in that league for several years and knew what kind of teams their were.

My short answer is I don't care.  But that's easy to say, since I don't work directly for any league president.  My assignors send me places, and I don't interact with league officials, unless they're also coaches.  If they don't like me, well, that's how it is - they signed a contract with my association, and I'm who drew the game on that day.

I would say:  get away from that league, if you can.  If you can't, because of geography, or other circumstances, I have no advice that will help.

If you are participating in an actual chartered or otherwise sponsored league like LL or Pony then you not only have the official rule books to deal with but the charter documents which typically outline the board positions, whether those positions are part of the General or Executive board and the process for elections and or removal of persons from their appointed or elected positions. Those documents determine what the authority of the league President and others within the organization are however it is up to the BOD and the participant families who make up the league to ensure that the rules are followed and when the President oversteps to call him on it and negate those actions. However if your league is formed without any governing body or processes then welcome to the wild west and good luck!

As for your issues... if you went outside the league to form a team and that violates the provisions of the governing documents especially if you are recruiting from existing participants and then using those players to compete in the same league games then I as a BOD member would have a serious issue with you and your actions. However if you formed a team that in no way competes against the existing league, say forming a travel team from kids who you have coached in LL there is little I can do other than petition the BOD to remove you as a coach or board member based on a potential conflict of interest. Providing convincing arguments that you are unable to perform the duty of Safety Officer due to your outside involvement may be difficult... player agent I can easily make that argument but safety?

The umpire coordinator - again I see this as a conflict of interest if this person is responsible for scheduling and then gets paid for covering the games unless the BOD is aware of this and approves... I work lots of paid games but none for LL as it would be a conflict of interest in my position of the league UIC. The same reason I refuse to officiate my kids game... the appearance of impropriety. 

As for the rest? Time to get your BOD's to step up and reign in the President. Removing coaches for not responding to an email? Are you serious? I would call for a vote of no confidence in the current president who obviously has a power issue. But again.... all of these items revolve around this being an organized league with controlling documents.

Find a new home... go coach and have fun.

The team was put together due to there being no colt team in the local league in the past several years.  We did not know that they had kids inquiring about colt because everything was kept as a need to know basis.  The team that was formed was formed as a travel team to play outside the local youth league.  Even if we knew about the other kids and held a tryout, they would not have made the team due to the travel team was all high school ball players and the skill level was beyond theirs.  The other kids did not play school ball.

As far a removal from board positions, the league bylaws state that a vote is to be held.  No vote = bylaws violations.  

For UIC, he had no other option but to work the games due to other league patch umpires left because the president was ejected from two games for arguing balls / strikes and out call against him.  He refused to take his suspensions which resulted in the other umpires leaving and taking games elsewhere. 

A call was made to Little League International by other parents and they were instructed to write a letter stating what was done and his actions to date.  It was stated that the League charter might be in jeopardy and removed if they find these actions are true. 

Already moved on, but hoping that this jackwagon gets his dues and pays the price.  Others are too.

4 hours ago, MRG9999 said:

The team was put together due to there being no colt team in the local league in the past several years.  We did not know that they had kids inquiring about colt because everything was kept as a need to know basis.  The team that was formed was formed as a travel team to play outside the local youth league.  Even if we knew about the other kids and held a tryout, they would not have made the team due to the travel team was all high school ball players and the skill level was beyond theirs.  The other kids did not play school ball.

As far a removal from board positions, the league bylaws state that a vote is to be held.  No vote = bylaws violations.  

For UIC, he had no other option but to work the games due to other league patch umpires left because the president was ejected from two games for arguing balls / strikes and out call against him.  He refused to take his suspensions which resulted in the other umpires leaving and taking games elsewhere. 

A call was made to Little League International by other parents and they were instructed to write a letter stating what was done and his actions to date.  It was stated that the League charter might be in jeopardy and removed if they find these actions are true. 

Already moved on, but hoping that this jackwagon gets his dues and pays the price.  Others are too.

I'm confused about why you are using a PONY division name, Colt, when Little League calls it Seniors?

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, MRG9999 said:

They use Little League up to age 12. Pony to 14. Not enough older teams in LL to stay.

That causes me more confusion.  Do they have separate orgs for PONY and LL? Yes, your LL charter is in jeopardy. Who knows about your PONY charter. And PONY Colt is 13 to 16 on 90 foot bases. Are you limiting it to 14U?

Same youth org for both. Did not have a colt team for about 5 yrs. The Colt team joined another league and played against teams from other areas. We had no commitment to the local youth league due to reasons mentioned above. They did not have enough kids for a colt team regardless.

27 minutes ago, MRG9999 said:

Same youth org for both. Did not have a colt team for about 5 yrs. The Colt team joined another league and played against teams from other areas. We had no commitment to the local youth league due to reasons mentioned above. They did not have enough kids for a colt team regardless.

Sounds like everybody just wants to play baseball and don't care what patch they wear. So the question is if the guy running the show just wants to have everyone play ball no matter what the patch or is there a financial motive.

I wouldn't say financial motive. Just wants to push his own agenda and doesn't give a crap how he goes about it. His day is coming sooner than I thought. Just got my fall schedule tonight and I have 2 of his games that his team is playing at another teams field. Plan on going into those games with no resentment but his rope will be shorter than normal.