NEW Smitty MLB-style Shirt

codizzle
Umpire-Empire locks topics which have not been active in the last year. The thread you are viewing hasn't been active in 2787 days so you will not be able to post. We do recommend you starting a new topic to find out what's new in the world of umpiring.

15 hours ago, codizzled said:

It's awesome!

6d289878703b00276619a8eda67e16c6.jpg

It does look authentic and impressive. I see Honig's and The Officials Choice eventually making versions – if any other company wants to do one, Smitty has demonstrated how to do it. This likely knocks Dalco and Cliff Keen out. #AdaptOrDie #ImproveOrGoAway

So @codizzled, how's the sizing? I wear an XL for plate in Majestic and TOC, but a L in Smitty. This the same?

• Like 1

On ‎8‎/‎6‎/‎2016 at 1:55 PM, MadMax said:

It does look authentic and impressive. I see Honig's and The Officials Choice eventually making versions – if any other company wants to do one, Smitty has demonstrated how to do it. This likely knocks Dalco and Cliff Keen out. #AdaptOrDie #ImproveOrGoAway

So @codizzled, how's the sizing? I wear an XL for plate in Majestic and TOC, but a L in Smitty. This the same?

Those two companies haven't made any new apparel in a while. Smitty has stayed up-to-date.

• Like 1

Purchased from @JimKirk, looking forward to it. Also ended up stocking up on the pro style black LS which brought me to think, where do you line the numbers up on a long sleeve?

Thoughts everyone?

Just taking a peak at my order history from the year from U-A :blink:. I think Jim can send a couple kids to college thanks to me this year :lol:

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, taa71458 said:

Purchased from @JimKirk, looking forward to it. Also ended up stocking up on the pro style black LS which brought me to think, where do you line the numbers up on a long sleeve?

Thoughts everyone?

Just taking a peak at my order history from the year from U-A :blink:. I think Jim can send a couple kids to college thanks to me this year :lol:

there's a diagram on Honig's site that shows you where to place a number on a LS shirt .......

31 minutes ago, taa71458 said:

Thoughts everyone?

On long sleeve shirts, pullovers or jackets measurement should be from your shoulder seam to the top of your flag patch or number, with the distance varying by size:

• Medium and Large: 4”
  • XL & 2X: 5 1/2"
  • 3X and up: 7”
  • Like 1

I find it funny that at the beginning of the year when these first came out a lot of people were bashing them and the way they look. 

Now, they are growing and everyone wants them! 

They should wear navy or gray when the teams wear throwback uniforms.

• Like 1

40 minutes ago, jpperez14 said:

I find it funny that at the beginning of the year when these first came out a lot of people were bashing them and the way they look. 

Now, they are growing and everyone wants them! 

They should wear navy cream or gray when the teams wear throwback uniforms, and put all navy shirts they've amassed through a shredder located in the 3rd Base camera pit which shoots the shirt shards into the air like confetti.  

There. Fixed it for you.

• Like 2

Not that it's worth anything, but I still don't like the design.

I do understand that the real plate jerseys have a zipper on one side, to allow a coolpak to be inserted. I'd guess that was the idea behind the wide stripes, to make that easier to happen. 

I didn't go ga-ga over the last updates a few years ago, either.

Still waiting for something unique, understated and classy. Hopefully Jim will partner with Williamsport, and get this down before The Official's Choice guys do, as LL has the biggest umpire market by a large margin. 

• Like 1

And I still won't wear anything from Smitty, because that's a derogatory term for a baseball umpire. But that's just me. 

Actually it was originally a lanyard for basketball officials. And Smitty is owned by a long time NBA/college basketball ref.

And I still won't wear anything from Smitty, because that's a derogatory term for a baseball umpire. But that's just me. 

Actually it was originally a lanyard for basketball officials. And Smitty is owned by a long time NBA/college basketball ref.

On August 12, 2016 at 1:34 PM, taa71458 said:

Thoughts everyone?

Awesome sauce! Yes, You are correct regarding that order history. Send me a PM with your kids' college fund address.

It's been a fantastic year due to customers such as yourself. I truly appreciate the business!!! I hope you like the new shirt. Many takers.

4 hours ago, kylejt said:

I talked at length with Joe DeRosa who owns Smitty about the name when we started working with them about 7 or 8 years ago.

He bought the small Smitty Lanyard company and thought about changing the name but felt it was such a recognized name in the basketball officiating community that it would be detrimental to change it.

As he explained, the gentleman who invented the lanyard was named Smitty, a nickname that arose out of his last name being Smith, if I remember correctly.

So, it didn't arIse in any derogatory way. If anything, it's more of an homage to the guy called Smitty. It's just a name/word.

Besides, the market for their products has exploded the last few years. You could be the last holdout. :rolleyes:

16 hours ago, JimKirk said:

Besides, the market for their products has exploded the last few years. You could be the last holdout. :rolleyes:

Alright Jim, let's make a deal.

You get with Joe, and work out a deal with Little League. Become the Official Umpire Supplier to LLBBI, design a unique uniform, and I will burn all my H*nig's gear and replace it with all Smitty apparel. Hell, I'll even name my next dog Smitty. 

23 hours ago, kylejt said:

Have never heard that before and have never been called a Smitty.

On 8/13/2016 at 2:51 PM, kylejt said:

Not that it's worth anything, but I still don't like the design.

I do understand that the real plate jerseys have a zipper on one side, to allow a coolpak to be inserted. I'd guess that was the idea behind the wide stripes, to make that easier to happen. 

I didn't go ga-ga over the last updates a few years ago, either.

Still waiting for something unique, understated and classy. Hopefully Jim will partner with Williamsport, and get this down before The Official's Choice guys do, as LL has the biggest umpire market by a large margin. 

Joe West gave me one of his shirts when he was in Toronto..I was doing some work on one of the cp's

The shirt has no zippers for a cool pack but is well designed with great ventilation 

On 8/14/2016 at 1:00 PM, kylejt said:

Alright Jim, let's make a deal.

You get with Joe, and work out a deal with Little League. Become the Official Umpire Supplier to LLBBI, design a unique uniform, and I will burn all my H*nig's gear and replace it with all Smitty apparel. Hell, I'll even name my next dog Smitty. 

Haha! Who could pass that deal up?! :notworthy:

On 8/14/2016 at 0:35 PM, Razzer said:

Joe West gave me one of his shirts when he was in Toronto..I was doing some work on one of the cp's

The shirt has no zippers for a cool pack but is well designed with great ventilation 

And that particular shirt is a Majestic, is it not @Razzer? I may or may not wait until I find an actual Majestic -brand shirt, or until Paul at The Officials Choice develops his own version, but I do acknowledge and respect the Smitty version because it demonstrates responsive, progressive action on their part. Will Honig's and/or TOC develop their own offerings? We'll have to wait and see, but I hope so.

Any other start-up or existing manufacturer that wants to jump in, I'm all for – the more the merrier. I acknowledge that in the grand scheme of things, it's just a shirt. Incredibly minor detail, if that. Not essential to umpiring. But, if we look at this "big picture", product debuts like this here force other companies to p!$$ or get off the pot. I'd applaud Smitty even more if they were to declare that from this point on, they are ceasing production of the old stuff – the two-stripe navy, powder, RWB-powder, red, white, etc. – and fully embracing this and future designs. Force softball to progress off those wretched old styles (why, in a sport where you have two teams squaring off in sleeveless jerseys and form-fitting glorified yoga tights in electric pink and livid lime, are the umpires still in uniforms from the 1980's???) and let the existing shirt styles in baseball whither and fade into obscurity. Majestic certainly doesn't make anything beyond the one style they delineate is currently en vogue, so why does Smitty? Extrapolations, like what The Officials Choice does, are one thing, and certainly, if you do one style version previous as well to satisfy late-adopters, that's understandable. But really? To keep producing backstock of a shirt that no decent umpire should get hit wearing (Powder with Red-White-&-Blue Stripes, case closed) is just asinine and counterproductive.