Ejection chaos in SAL

LMSANS
Umpire-Empire locks topics which have not been active in the last year. The thread you are viewing hasn't been active in 2808 days so you will not be able to post. We do recommend you starting a new topic to find out what's new in the world of umpiring.

The South Atlantic League is A level and I go to 8 or 9 games a year in Lakewood NJ.

Last night, Lakewood was getting beat in the bottom 6, when the DH disagreed with strike call, getting himself ejected.

This is where the fun begins... Home Mgr comes to talk to PU (I figured he was giving the sub info). Then PU goes to visiting Mgr and talks to him. PU now goes out to talk with partner. Back to VM, then HM, then partner, then VM. Then PU goes into dugout and disappears for 3-5 minutes. PU comes out and goes to BU, then VM, HM, BU, VM, HM, VM. PU then signals to press box what looked like a "P" and points to the ground.

I can't find any explanation on the Lakewood website.

Can anybody provide any conjecture as to what may have led to this 20 minute delay? Or suggest a website that may have a report on what happened.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

25 minutes ago, LMSANS said:

The South Atlantic League is A level and I go to 8 or 9 games a year in Lakewood NJ.

Last night, Lakewood was getting beat in the bottom 6, when the DH disagreed with strike call, getting himself ejected.

This is where the fun begins... Home Mgr comes to talk to PU (I figured he was giving the sub info). Then PU goes to visiting Mgr and talks to him. PU now goes out to talk with partner. Back to VM, then HM, then partner, then VM. Then PU goes into dugout and disappears for 3-5 minutes. PU comes out and goes to BU, then VM, HM, BU, VM, HM, VM. PU then signals to press box what looked like a "P" and points to the ground.

Can anybody provide any conjecture as to what may have led to this 20 minute delay? Or suggest a website that may have a report on what happened.

Conjecture: If it was strike 3 that caused the ejection the sub for the DH would not have to be announced until that spot in the line up came around again. Maybe there was a dispute about that.

It appears the pinch hitter Jan Hernandez did not inherit any count. Why? I don't know.

According to Mr. LMSANS, the starting DH Cornelius Randolph took at least one strike—he apparently was ejected for arguing a strike call. And the play-by-play account posted at the SAL league site shows that the pinch hitter took two called strikes and then grounded out to second base thus driving in a run.

Generally the "p" signal would indicate a protest. Maybe he went to look up the rule before the protest. At school we were told if needed to stop the game to prevent losing a protest. Dave went to TUS in 2013. 

4 hours ago, Senor Azul said:

It appears the pinch hitter Jan Hernandez did not inherit any count. Why? I don't know.

According to Mr. LMSANS, the starting DH Cornelius Randolph took at least one strike—he apparently was ejected for arguing a strike call. And the play-by-play account posted at the SAL league site shows that the pinch hitter took two called strikes and then grounded out to second base thus driving in a run.

I may have misremembered the exact count...the questioned pitch could have been the first strike.  That being the case, is it possible the play-by-play just combined both batters into description?

On August 5, 2016 at 9:08 AM, LMSANS said:

Just a thought, maybe the player (sub) that was replacing the ejected player (DH), wasn't listed on the line-up card that was agreed upon at the beginning of the game. A possibility is that the PU was informed by the HM that he didn't have a player listed, but was going to use him as the replacement hitter, so he went to inform the VM, then the VM complained and said he can't do that, so he goes to check with the BU. He goes and tells the VM no he can't do that (assuming thats what it is), goes and tells HM you can't do that and the HM complains, so he goes and talked to his partner, then decides he will go do a rules check, and then tell the VM he is going to do a rules check. He goes into the dugout, researches, comes back tells his partner what he finds, tells the VM, then the HM, then the HM complains, so he talks with the BU, goes back to the VM says they will allow it, tells the HM they will allow it, VM wants to protest, so the result is the game being played under protest.

Again this all just trying to think how or why this would play out. Listed below is the MiLB ruling on the situation.

MiLB umpire manual Pg 29 4.1 Lineup Cards- It is recommended each manager write the name of each eligible player on the face of his club's batting order card in addition to furnishing the starting lineup. League regulations may require ALL eligible players to be listed on the club's batting order card before entering the game. If not required, the manager's failure to list an eligible player does not prevent that player from entering the game, nor in such failure grounds for protest, as the listing of eligible players is simply a courtesy. 

• Like 1