Batter Leg Kick

Mudder

Left handed batter has this habit, not sure if its intentional or not (intentionally trying to distract the pitcher), but as the pitcher delivers the pitch the batter's front (right) leg kick is so exaggerated that he basically kicks so his entire leg is right over the plate, sometimes he swings sometimes not.  He only does it sometimes, and it appeared to me like he does it when there is 3 balls in the count, as if to distract the pitcher to throw ball 4.

Catcher is complaining to me about it, I say it looks like he's doing it after the pitch is released, so I got nothing.

Is this anything?

• Replies 7
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

8 minutes ago, Mudder said:

Left handed batter has this habit, not sure if its intentional or not (intentionally trying to distract the pitcher), but as the pitcher delivers the pitch the batter's front (right) leg kick is so exaggerated that he basically kicks so his entire leg is right over the plate, sometimes he swings sometimes not.  He only does it sometimes, and it appeared to me like he does it when there is 3 balls in the count, as if to distract the pitcher to throw ball 4.

Catcher is complaining to me about it, I say it looks like he's doing it after the pitch is released, so I got nothing.

Is this anything?

I don't know what I'd tell the offensive coach to justify telling the batter to stop, so I got nothing. 

1 hour ago, Mudder said:

Is this anything?

Yes, it's an inexperienced batter putting himself at a disadvantage, especially for a fastball inside. I'd tell F2 to go talk to F1 and say the same to him.

It is also mildly unsporting, enough to get on the radar. If it really became a problem, we could tell the batter to knock it off.

• 2 weeks later...

But blue my batter just took a hit to the knee!

Too bad it was dead middle of the zone coach... think he will be able to walk right after healing from that broken knee cap? Who is your replacement for your B/R?

• 2 weeks later...

From the 2016 edition of Carl Childress’ Baseball Rules Differences (section 280, p. 182):

OBR Authoritative Opinion: Evans:  “The batter is obligated to avoid making ANY MOVEMENT which obstructs, impedes, or hinders the catcher’s play in any way. A swing which carries the batter over home plate and subsequently complicates the catcher’s play or attempted play should be ruled interference. Contact between the batter and catcher does not necessarily have to occur for interference to be ruled. Merely blocking the catcher’s vision to second base may very possibly be interference.” (JEA/6:46)

The leg kick may be a distraction to the pitcher but it can also be endangering the catcher if it blocks his vision.

From the 2016 edition of Carl Childress’ Baseball Rules Differences (section 280, p. 182):

OBR Authoritative Opinion: Evans:  “The batter is obligated to avoid making ANY MOVEMENT which obstructs, impedes, or hinders the catcher’s play in any way. A swing which carries the batter over home plate and subsequently complicates the catcher’s play or attempted play should be ruled interference. Contact between the batter and catcher does not necessarily have to occur for interference to be ruled. Merely blocking the catcher’s vision to second base may very possibly be interference.” (JEA/6:46)

The leg kick may be a distraction to the pitcher but it can also be endangering the catcher if it blocks his vision.

Of a pitch?

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk

• Like 1

Yes, of course, of a pitch!

From the Jaksa/Roder manual (Chapter 13, p. 93): 

“batter interference can occur during a catcher’s…fielding of a pitch (or throw if the pitcher has disengaged)…”

“it is batter interference if the batter hinders the catcher…by abnormal or extraordinary movement inside the batter’s box…”