Courtesy Runner

James88
Umpire-Empire locks topics which have not been active in the last year. The thread you are viewing hasn't been active in 2836 days so you will not be able to post. We do recommend you starting a new topic to find out what's new in the world of umpiring.

I don't do much Little League any more and don't have a rule book to check this question and was hoping you guys could help out.

Pretty sure they don't, but does LL have a courtesy runner rule for the catcher/pitcher like NFHS?  As I recall for LL, you could special pinch run once per inning, only once per specific player per game, and the player used as a special pinch runner could not be in the game (or is it participated in any way?).  Is there a different rule for tournament play compared to regular season?

I ask because some of our local guys had a 9-10 all star game last night and the umpires and tournament director insisted there was a courtesy runner rule.  Coaches said the catcher got on base 4 times and they used a courtesy runner all 4 times.

Thanks.

to the best of my recollection (don't have my book at hand)

the special pinch runner is tournament play only, not for regular season, the courtesy runner rule is for the catcher only and with two outs only.

For tournament -  the rule in once per inning and once per player in the game is correct.

found on the web:

Rule 7.14 (Page 78) SPECIAL PINCH RUNNER

Once each inning a team may utilize a player who is not in the batting order as a special pinch-runner for any offensive player.  A player may only be removed for a special pinch runner one time during a game.  The player for whom the pinch-runner runs is not subject to removal from the line up.  If the pinch runner remains in the game as a substitute defensive or offensive player, the player may not be used again as a pinch runner while in the batting order.  However, if removed for another substitute that player or any player not in the line up is again eligible to be used as a pinch runner. 

Special pinch runner applies to regular season as well as tournament time, 7.14. However, it can only be used when batting 9, and not with continuous batting order(CBO).

There is no courtesy runner in Little League.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, James88 said:

I don't do much Little League any more and don't have a rule book to check this question and was hoping you guys could help out.

Pretty sure they don't, but does LL have a courtesy runner rule for the catcher/pitcher like NFHS?  As I recall for LL, you could special pinch run once per inning, only once per specific player per game, and the player used as a special pinch runner could not be in the game (or is it participated in any way?).  Is there a different rule for tournament play compared to regular season?

I ask because some of our local guys had a 9-10 all star game last night and the umpires and tournament director insisted there was a courtesy runner rule.  Coaches said the catcher got on base 4 times and they used a courtesy runner all 4 times.

Thanks.

They could protest and stop the game to get it right but once the protest was ruled on there is no penalty for illegal substitution other than correcting the situation. If it really is the tournament they should be able to get a ruling from their DA and/or up the chain.

11 minutes ago, James88 said:

Coaches said they brought it to the attention of the umpires and asked that they look it up.  Said umps were kind of jerks about it so they just let it go.

Thanks for the replies.

They need to protest.  Using the word "protest".

3 hours ago, James88 said:

Coaches said they brought it to the attention of the umpires and asked that they look it up.  Said umps were kind of jerks about it so they just let it go.

Thanks for the replies.

They could stop the game and refuse to play until the protest was resolved at whatever level they think they got a correct ruling up to WP. It's possible they wouldn't get the correct ruling from the TD or the District Administrator so they might have to go higher. That being said, with jerk umps, they probably don't want to rub their nose in it. Rather than protest they might ask the DA or above to put the word out to the umps via the back door.

At our managers/coaches meetings and rules clinics, I alway try to stress the importance of protests. Even if the protest does not change the situation, or if the affected team wins the game anyway, the protest can help educate the umpires on the correct ruling. Hopefully the umpires receive the correct ruling and don't repeat the same mistake.

At our managers/coaches meetings and rules clinics, I alway try to stress the importance of protests. Even if the protest does not change the situation, or if the affected team wins the game anyway, the protest can help educate the umpires on the correct ruling. Hopefully the umpires receive the correct ruling and don't repeat the same mistake.

Or the coaches learn something and get off our backs since they never actually read the rule book...

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk

• Like 1

1 hour ago, ALStripes17 said:

Or the coaches learn something and get off our backs since they never actually read the rule book...

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk

Good point ALStripes17. I meant to say that as well, a protest can educate both the coaches and umpires alike.

And you're so right, they really don't read the rulebook. It just amazes me.:lol:

1 hour ago, Senor Azul said:

Little League rule 3.04 (p. 75, 2016 edition):  A player whose name is on the team’s batting order may not become a substitute runner for another member of the team. “Courtesy runner” not permitted.

So if they are not CURRENTLY in the line-up, they can SPR