Sign in to follow this  
Guest Guest Guest

Snap throw to base while straddling rubber -

Question

Guest Guest Guest

Runner on 1st, I'm working solo. OBR rules.

Pitcher has the ball and is straddling the rubber. Ball is in his bare hand, and he is leaning forward on his front knee basically in the stretch position but not in contact with the rubber. He was not looking in for signs or doing anything to intentionally make the runner think he was engaged. Next batter is approaching the batters box, catcher and I are both putting on our masks. 

Pitcher sidearms a throw to 1st base without stepping at all. I called a balk because he was close enough to being on the rubber that it was deceiving/simulating his normal pitching routine. 

I know its HTBT but I described it as best I can. Thoughts?

4 answers to this question

22 minutes ago, Guest Guest Guest said:

Pitcher has the ball and is straddling the rubber. Ball is in his bare hand, and he is leaning forward on his front knee basically in the stretch position but not in contact with the rubber. He was not looking in for signs or doing anything to intentionally make the runner think he was engaged. Next batter is approaching the batters box, catcher and I are both putting on our masks. 

Pitcher sidearms a throw to 1st base without stepping at all. I called a balk because he was close enough to being on the rubber that it was deceiving/simulating his normal pitching routine. 

It's not a balk to throw to first without stepping if F1 is not on the rubber.

IF you're going to use the "deceiving" rationale, then you should have called the balk when he went down into the "basically the stretch position."  You (properly) didn't, so there's no justification for calling the balk on the throw.

• Like 2

Guest Guest

I should mention that it was a RHP, not that it matters for the rule but just for more of a visual

1 hour ago, Guest Guest Guest said:

You blew it. If he wasn't on the rubber he's a fielder and can throw in any manner he pleases.  Almost a balk is not a balk.

20 hours ago, Guest Guest said:

I should mention that it was a RHP, not that it matters for the rule but just for more of a visual

Well, then it was quite a display of athleticism on the pitcher's part but as the others have indicated, it wasn't a balk if he was not in contact with the rubber. He was a fielder and could have thrown between his legs if he'd felt like it.

Answer this question...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Sign in to follow this