Sign in to follow this  
goody14

Ball in cooler

Summer ball (FED rules).

In trying for an out at home, the defense throws the ball to the backstop. Through a series of weird hops and cosmic intervention, the ball winds up in the home plate umpire's cooler he placed by the screen - and no, I would not believe it either if I had not been U2 when it happened.

I suppose there are 2 options:

1) Treat this like throwing a ball into dead ball territory and give the runners 2 bases 

2) Decide this is just a goofy happening and freeze (pun totally intended) the runners on their current bases. If they started to advance once it was noticed the ball was in the cooler, send them back

My question: is there rule book justification for either of these options (or am I not thinking of an option)? Or do you just umpire and let fair play and common sense rule the day.

Treat as a ball thrown out of play. 8-3-3c

18 minutes ago, maven said:

Treat as a ball thrown out of play. 8-3-3c

that's a two base award correct?

doesn't that unfairly disadvantage the defense for placement of the cooler by the PU?  baring the cooler being there, F2 or F1 (if he backed up properly) could have gotten to the ball (HTBT situ I know) and prevented any further advance or maybe held the advance to a single added base.

7 minutes ago, stkjock said:

doesn't that unfairly disadvantage the defense for placement of the cooler by the PU?  baring the cooler being there, F2 or F1 (if he backed up properly) could have gotten to the ball (HTBT situ I know) and prevented any further advance or maybe held the advance to a single added base.

1) The rules generally don't' depend on disadvantaging the defense (or offense).  The depend on disadvantaging either team -- and since both teams have an equal opportunity and defense (excepting the bottom half of the last inning for now), it's the same.  What would be wrogn would be to have the cooler out while one team was batting, and put awy for the other team.

2) F1 apparently did NOT back up properly.

3)  For the OP -- You might also be able to use 1-3-5 Penalty and call it "loose equipment."

11 hours ago, noumpere said:

1) The rules generally don't' depend on disadvantaging the defense (or offense).  The depend on disadvantaging either team -- and since both teams have an equal opportunity and defense (excepting the bottom half of the last inning for now), it's the same.  What would be wrogn would be to have the cooler out while one team was batting, and put awy for the other team.

yes, however, it seems to be a point referenced many times on the board, parapharsing - "don't disadvantage one team for the others screw up" 

2) F1 apparently did NOT back up properly.

maybe so, but hard to be certain IMO, not being there to see how bad the throw may have been.

If the defense readily found the ball (and the offense saw where it went), no one is disadvantaged. I see no need to over-officiate this situation and keep the ball live. 

Coolers should never be in the field of play. If the field is completely fenced in, then leave it at the gate. Take a bottle and stick it in the chain link fence. If you have to bring it on the field, for God's sake, make sure it's got a cover.

• Like 5

On 6/6/2016 at 11:29 PM, udbrky said:

So I shouldn't bring my keg out and tap/cool it?

Kegs are not coolers. Since @Richvee does not mention them specifically in his admonition, they must be OK, no?

Well, you need to keep it cold. So, I can't put it in a trash can full of ice?

Just now, Kevin_K said:

Kegs are not coolers. Since @Richvee does not mention them specifically in his admonition, they must be OK, no?

Bring one Monday...I'm sure we can find a place for it :beerbang

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Richvee said:

Bring one Monday...I'm sure we can find a place for it :beerbang

If memory serves, you have the bases, and that means it's your responsibility!  :givebeer:

• Like 1