ump life delta flex style harness

D62 blue
Umpire-Empire locks topics which have not been active in the last year. The thread you are viewing hasn't been active in 2860 days so you will not be able to post. We do recommend you starting a new topic to find out what's new in the world of umpiring.

Gentlemen , if anyone has purchased the ump life DF harness from Ray , since Ray can produce both designs single upper strap or 2 strap option depending on the CP , specifically iam looking for any images showing detail of how you attached to the schutt CP XV factory upper strap with the new DF  SINGLE strap design . I would appreciate it , you can pm if you want . I purchased the single strap design , and seeking some guidance on best way to attach  .

Marc

Marc

Apologies as I have been away

The only way to show you is by video on Skype as I said to you in my previous emails

It is simple but it works better by video

You have the halo of the cp where you have a leather tab and buckle

Cut the buckle and tab off

Where it was sewn make a slit through the halo and thread the elastic

You can sew around the slit to reinforce the slit but from my experience guys have told me they did not do this.

Ray produces a single-strap style? Could you please post a photo of it, so I can formulate a plan for you to attach it to your Schutt XV?

Here's how I attached the DeltaFlex to my Schutt XV: I used hardware called Chicago Screws or Bindery Closures, D-Rings, Tri-Glide ladder-locs and 1.5" seatbelt strapping. I did remove the existing harness by rendering the stitch joining it to the padding at the rear of the shoulder arch plates. Please be focused and delicate not to cut the padding's finishing seam, which is very closely nearby.

I'll post photos in a following post once I retrieve the CP from my bag... I wanted to get this replied to first though.

On 6/6/2016 at 10:43 AM, MadMax said:

Ray produces a single-strap style? Could you please post a photo of it, so I can formulate a plan for you to attach it to your Schutt XV?

Here's how I attached the DeltaFlex to my Schutt XV: I used hardware called Chicago Screws or Bindery Closures, D-Rings, Tri-Glide ladder-locs and 1.5" seatbelt strapping. I did remove the existing harness by rendering the stitch joining it to the padding at the rear of the shoulder arch plates. Please be focused and delicate not to cut the padding's finishing seam, which is very closely nearby.

I'll post photos in a following post once I retrieve the CP from my bag... I wanted to get this replied to first though.

mad max , see images , i was planning on attaching a stainless "D" ring to the short nylon strap that is factory attached (sewn) to the "halo" portion of the schutt CP . And then having that short strap now with "D" ring through it ,sewn down at the point at which the short strap is factory attached (sewn) to the "halo" portion . then take the single strap of the new harness and loop through the new "D" ring which is now attached (sewn)  to the "halo" portion and use an adjustable plastic buckle to then adjust for fit . if you have another idea im open to suggestions . i am ready to proceed with the method described above , unless i get some different guidance . the method described above seems to require minimal modification of the original schutt "halo" portion .  

Marc

SCHUTT XV A5x7.jpg

SCHUTT XV DELTA HARNESS B5x7.jpg

@D62 blue, please don't feel like I'm ignoring you or your project. There are some questions and points to address in order to work out an effective solution:

• How adept are you at stitching, and/or do you have access to a sewing machine that can tackle this task?
  • In lieu of that, do you have access to a professional-level tailor / seamstress who can machine a heavy stitch?

Firstly, that section of material Schutt uses to constitute their harness isn't a halo, but a yoke (I'm not slighting Ray for plugging in a descriptive word in the meantime). That yoke, as you notice, is of the same TPU-EVA foam bricks that the body of the CP uses. Furthermore, its shape and geometry already places the critical vertex – where the sizing hardware and common strap is – far too low to be effective. This is Schutt's critical flaw in this CP, which we are remedying by replacing this harness with a Flex-style harness (Ray's ULHF, the DeltaFlex, the Force3, etc.). The twin-strap Flex harnesses lend themselves easily to removing the default yoke entirely, and attaching anchors on either shoulder arch plate, as I did here on mine:
large.IMG_2406.jpg

If I had Ray's ULHF harness, I could have made those anchor straps shorter, since his ULHF has longer sizing straps than the DeltaFlex. I needed enough length to run the sizing strap through the D-ring and then double back upon itself to go through that tri-glide ladderloc.

The ULHF harness with a single sizing strap, though, presents a different challenge. So, like you've done, we don't remove the yoke. So too, like you've done, we do remove the lower strap retainer and locking buckle Schutt uses. What to do with that leftover, attached 1.25" strap though? Hmm.. that's the rub.

I would focus my efforts in stitching / affixing that strap to the yoke after I slip a D-ring through it.

Tell you what, I have to bound off to another appointment... I'll post some photos and sketches up, but hopefully, this post gets you thinking. I'd like you to consider that we are repositioning the critical vertex from the bottom edge of the yoke to the top edge of the yoke. We need to get the new harness moved up, otherwise I fear you'll never get the CP tight enough, and you'll be wearing it like a shop apron instead of a bulletproof vest.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, MadMax said:

@D62 blue, please don't feel like I'm ignoring you or your project. There are some questions and points to address in order to work out an effective solution:

• How adept are you at stitching, and/or do you have access to a sewing machine that can tackle this task?
  • In lieu of that, do you have access to a professional-level tailor / seamstress who can machine a heavy stitch?

Firstly, that section of material Schutt uses to constitute their harness isn't a halo, but a yoke (I'm not slighting Ray for plugging in a descriptive word in the meantime). That yoke, as you notice, is of the same TPU-EVA foam bricks that the body of the CP uses. Furthermore, its shape and geometry already places the critical vertex – where the sizing hardware and common strap is – far too low to be effective. This is Schutt's critical flaw in this CP, which we are remedying by replacing this harness with a Flex-style harness (Ray's ULHF, the DeltaFlex, the Force3, etc.). The twin-strap Flex harnesses lend themselves easily to removing the default yoke entirely, and attaching anchors on either shoulder arch plate, as I did here on mine:
large.IMG_2406.jpg

If I had Ray's ULHF harness, I could have made those anchor straps shorter, since his ULHF has longer sizing straps than the DeltaFlex. I needed enough length to run the sizing strap through the D-ring and then double back upon itself to go through that tri-glide ladderloc.

The ULHF harness with a single sizing strap, though, presents a different challenge. So, like you've done, we don't remove the yoke. So too, like you've done, we do remove the lower strap retainer and locking buckle Schutt uses. What to do with that leftover, attached 1.25" strap though? Hmm.. that's the rub.

I would focus my efforts in stitching / affixing that strap to the yoke after I slip a D-ring through it.

Tell you what, I have to bound off to another appointment... I'll post some photos and sketches up, but hopefully, this post gets you thinking. I'd like you to consider that we are repositioning the critical vertex from the bottom edge of the yoke to the top edge of the yoke. We need to get the new harness moved up, otherwise I fear you'll never get the CP tight enough, and you'll be wearing it like a shop apron instead of a bulletproof vest.

Mad max i believe i understand what you are suggesting , if you have time to share a diagram or sketch that would greatly appreciated . i do have a seamstress who can perform all the sewing alterations .

Marc

Alright, @D62 blue, here's the proposed plan of attack:

IMG_2520.jpg

Supplies:

• 8.5" - 9" of 1.5" nylon webbing or seatbelt strap (seatbelt strap is linearly harder to fail)
  • 1x 1.5" D-ring (nylon, stainless steel, or chromed steel)
  • 1x 1.5" Tri-Glide ladderloc
  • or 1x 1.5" nylon side-release buckle, like this: Side Release Buckle (on eBay)

Steps:

1. Remove the existing 1.25" sizing strap tailing off the bottom edge of the yoke. Recommend using a seam renderer or a precision blade to render the seam or pick out the stitching instead of cutting. Be careful not to destroy the edging stitches.
  2. Open the stitching for either the top or bottom edge of the center foam brick cell so as to extract the TPU-EVA foam brick inside. It makes our next stitching very problematic, and it isn't needed. You should be left with the netting and the thin foam backer plate.
  3. Loop the D-Ring or the single-bar end of a side-release buckle through the 1.5" nylon webbing, positioning this hardware towards the top edge of the yoke in a hoop.
  4. Drape the nylon webbing over the top edge of the yoke (with the hardware between them) onto the front side and back side, and then perform two master stitches through all layers – webbing / netting / foam plate / netting / webbing. Position one master stitch at the bottom, and the other towards the top, allowing for the D-ring (or buckle bar) to be secured within.
  5. Once this has been executed, then a Tri-Glide ladderloc can be slid onto the 1.5" sizing strap of the harness, and then looped through the D-ring. Then, bring the strap back down and double it back through the Tri-Glide to secure it and adjust length accordingly. Or if using side-release buckle, feed the 1.5" sizing strap through the ladderloc end of the male part of the side release buckle and adjust length accordingly. Then, snap the male part into the female part of the buckle.

Be sure to err on the side of tightness and snugness than loose. From your photos, it appears that the two shoulder arch plates have not been trained and curved. They should be. The billow (that cushy pad at the throat) should be at, or just beneath your Adam's Apple. The rib strap should line up with your lowest fixed rib.

If you need pointers on how to train and curve the Schutt XV, please say so... I'll locate the past post on this topic, and @kstrunk can vouch for its effectiveness.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks to mad max for his time and effort & design idea , i have now completed the DF (ump life) single upper strap design harness modifications . Full disclosure , i didn't have the tools , equipment or skills to perform this myself . i went to a luggage repair service  , cost was $25.00 . I can with out a doubt say that it was well worth it !! The difference in the fit with the new harness makes the CP feel like a completely new CP . see images

Marc

SCHUTT MODIFICATION.jpg

SCHUTT MODIFICATION A.jpg

SCHUTT MODIFICATION B.jpg

• Like 2

Oh _wow_, @D62 blue (Marc), it looks exceptional. I'm always delighted when a plan – someone else's or my own – works out like this. It's why I got into engineering in the first place. Calculus knocked me out of engineering, but that's another story.

We really need to get these things in front of the eyeballs of Schutt. 

• Like 1

5 hours ago, MadMax said:

Oh _wow_, @D62 blue (Marc), it looks exceptional. I'm always delighted when a plan – someone else's or my own – works out like this. It's why I got into engineering in the first place. Calculus knocked me out of engineering, but that's another story.

We really need to get these things in front of the eyeballs of Schutt. 

I wore the CP today in a very warm 95 degree's game , excellent experience . no adjusting or any issues to speak of . Pretty comfortable considering the temp .

Marc