Obstruction in MLB II

• Replies 6
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

Possible, POSSIBLE that U3 was straightlined on the contact behind the runner and only had the runner diving away from the tag. Even though the announcer mentioned that the umpires would get together, it appears they did not.

Ego? Or do they simply have something different?

My guess is this. Either he called him out on a tag or out of the baseline BEFORE the contact was made. At least, that is his judgment of the sequence of events. And, we don't have his angle to see how it all appeared to U3. I have Type A OBS but we also have completely different angles than U3. That is my only defense for not coming right out and say it is OBS. The contact was in R2's back and U3 can't see all of the timing of this play and may have been blocked by either R2 or F2 from the contact.

When watching in real time, I had OBS all day. When they showed the overhead in slo-mo, I saw that the runner MIGHT have side-stepped just before the OBS. But, on the field I'm getting the OBS.

I agree that, in real-time, it looked a lot like OBS but I wasn't actually convinced at that point.

In the replay, I think it's pretty clear Hardy ran into Werth only after Werth side-stepped to his right. (To me, it looked like Hardy was trying to tail off to the right after giving up the ball - pretty standard move for an infielder covering a run-down) While I may have called OBS on the field, I think the crew got it right. He stepped out of the baseline in order to avoid a tag and it didn't work.

Out.

Play ball.

Disclaimer: I am a fan of neither team