Big sale at Honigs

Umpire-Empire locks topics which have not been active in the last year. The thread you are viewing hasn't been active in 2885 days so you will not be able to post. We do recommend you starting a new topic to find out what's new in the world of umpiring.

So just a word to the wise for guys on the east coast: if you order from Honig's and it goes through the Mid-Atlantic shop in Raleigh, they only carry Smitty brand and not the Honig's brand shirts.

Connor was moderately helpful, said I will need to return them (they will reimburse shipping costs back to them), and they will then have a different shop send me new shirts.

2 hours ago, Cooper said:

So just a word to the wise for guys on the east coast: if you order from Honig's and it goes through the Mid-Atlantic shop in Raleigh, they only carry Smitty brand and not the Honig's brand shirts.

Connor was moderately helpful, said I will need to return them (they will reimburse shipping costs back to them), and they will then have a different shop send me new shirts.

Thanks, that is very helpful.

I just bought a shirt from there yesterday, pro style shirt and my buddy got 3 old style shirts and they where all honigs shirts

7 hours ago, Cooper said:

Thanks for investigating this, @Cooper. Companies that have networked shops and distribution do have these things plague them from time to time. 

That being said, I strongly recommend anyone in need of shirts to get a (few) long-sleeved shirt(s) from Honig's at this great price they are advertising for sale. I already have a long-sleeved Honig's MLB black and Classic black, and will be getting a Classic navy in long-sleeve so as to replace my Cliff Keen, which is using material that must have been vogue back in 1979. A long-sleeved umpire shirt is the best thing to wear when it's cold, or you need / want to cover up a forearm guard or injury. Pullover or zip-up jackets look sloppy and goofy on a PU.

Honig's protective gear is decent. Of the "Umpire Starter Packages" I've encountered (other new umpires showing me), theirs is quite comprehensive and robust. In CP's, the K1 Pro Elite, at $30 off, would be an adequate, reliable choice for the novice, amateur-level umpire. I've seen this CP in person and have tried one on... Unless you really train the shoulder ailettes to curve, the whole thing will look hulking on you. It does, though, serve a lot more protection than wearing a soft CP, your ol' catcher's CP, or a Davishield.

The shin guards are decent, too. If the vaunted Force3 Ultimates and the Diamonds were not available, I'd feel just fine with Honig's K2010 Elites or K10 Collegiates – lightweight, side-release buckles, ankle flaps... and the K2010's have the floating patella plate and removable tarsal guard (unnecessary when wearing plate shoes). Great value.

Their "Dogface" mask (the K9), though, is outstanding... a veritable steal on sale. As mentioned, it is a full-sized, deep-bowl mask. You get yer face in there. It's hollow-tube steel, so it's strong and reasonably lite. Like its chief rival the Diamond DFM-ix3 UMP aluminum mask, it has the chisel-point chin guard so you can mount nearly any extended throat guard to it, any way you feel safest. So too, it has the extended crown guard, which in Honig's design I feel looks better. The major advantage to the K9 over the DFM, though, is Honig's allows you to buy the K9 with any pads you choose (they'll even sell you the bare, naked mask). "Zorbium" is Team Wendy's, while "two-tone" is vinyl (outer) and calfskin (inner face) pads. 

If I didn't have a Nike Steel... or a +POS ZRO-G... or an All-Star FM4000... I would get a K9. In fact, I'm tempted to get one at this outstanding price point, and sell it to a fellow umpire who is still suffering in the use of a Rawlings LWMX or an ol' bucket (a HSM that was likely plucked off a Play-It-Again Sports shelf). I run across these guys constantly.

I'm torn... These are really good prices on jackets! But I'm relocating out of Wisconsin (where jackets are a necessity for 10 months of the year) within the next 2 weeks. Grrrrr. What to do, what to do.

The CEO and President from Honig's have both called me.  I'm expecting a phone call from their Denver facility to work out the details, but it sounds like they're going to overnight me 4 correct shirts at no cost.  

So far fantastic customer service and appreciation.  

2 hours ago, Cooper said:

The CEO and President from Honig's have both called me.  I'm expecting a phone call from their Denver facility to work out the details, but it sounds like they're going to overnight me 4 correct shirts at no cost.  

So far fantastic customer service and appreciation.  

With my displeasure Tuesday evening, I sent an email to Honig's and also posted on their facebook page.  I was out of the office yesterday, but Robert Wilson (Honig's-Colorado President) called me and left a voicemail on my desk phone.  This morning, Gene Bouwman, Honig's CEO, called me personally. 

I ordered my shirts the day before the sale price, but they are refunding me the difference (~$25) as well as my return shipping for the 4 Smitty shirts ($12.15).

They are overnighting me the proper shirts, and said I should have them in hand by 1pm tomorrow.

You may or may not have noticed over the years that I don't have many good things to say about Honig's. I've used them when I've had to but felt burned before with some of their products and their seeming lack of customer service after I've complained.

That said, this last order might just change my mind on them. I received it today. They sent it two day after I paid for only ground. The shirt was a Honig's brand shirt and it is of a much better quality than the Smitty equivalent. Smitty shirts were good in the old style but I wasn't as happy with their new MLB styles. The Honig's shirt is not nearly as baggy, has a nicer material and looks like an overall better finished product. 

I really like the new mask I bought also and at $44.95 for a complete mask with microfiber pads, it was a steal considering the frame by itself is $39.99 and this includes the pads, a mask bag and the harness. I already have my Wendy's pads on it and now need to find a game to work to give it a try.

Oh and I got the Majestic jacket I've been wanting for $20.

Well done Honig's, well done.

• Like 1