Sign in to follow this  
Guest Armando V

stepping on other teammate foot while on base

Question

Guest Armando V

Let's say first baseman has his foot on first base but second baseman decides to try to outrun the baserunner to first, if the second baseman steps on the foot of first baseman and baserunner then followed by touching the base before the second baseman actually got to touch the base, is the runner safe or out? I've heard of foot part of plate but always felt it pertained only to the player that actually gets the ball. 

2 answers to this question

Do I dare....  lmao 

okay to restate you question...   it sounds like the 2B has the ball correct...    decides not to throw , but run it to first.     He  steps  on the foot of 1b,    the runner, hits the bag, then the 2b gets his foot on the base and off the foot of the 1b player. ...         All that's correct, right?   I would say that if i the judgement of the umpire, the runner touched the base before the 2b,  he is safe....   now be careful with this because if in the opinion of the umpire,  any part of his foot that stepped on the 1B players foot, touches the bag also, before the runner...   then naturally he is out. 

the players can 't hold hands across the field to make a chain,  to record the runner out.   He who has the ball  has to tag the runner or record the force out....    

By rule, the runner is safe.  As a practical matter, the umpire is going to see part of F4's foot touch the base in almost all situations.

• Like 3

Answer this question...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Sign in to follow this