1st Player Ejection

wtompkins
Umpire-Empire locks topics which have not been active in the last year. The thread you are viewing hasn't been active in 2908 days so you will not be able to post. We do recommend you starting a new topic to find out what's new in the world of umpiring.

This was a major game a couple of weeks ago. Don't remember the score but I have R3 with two outs. Pitch gets passed the catcher and R3 tries to score. I have him out at the plate and as he gets up from the slide he throws dirt in the catchers eyes. That's an easy ejection. OC comes out to ask why he was ejected and he he argues that he didn't do that. Fortunately, 3rd base coach comes running over and talks to his coach because he saw it too.

The funny thing is, I get a parent talking to me during the inning switch and he asks for my name and he says I don't like my "umpiring style." I tell him my name and I say "My assigner is on the field next to us and by the looks of it, they have two outs in the inning so you have time to talk to him soon." 

I don't know if he went over and talked to him or not but I told my assigner and he backed me 100%.

A week later, I have another game and it's that same parent as the head coach. He didn't say a word at the plate meeting. Turns out, he is the dad of the kid that threw dirt in the catchers eyes. 

It was an easy one for my first player ejection.

36 minutes ago, NorthTexasUmp said:

Please don't talk to parents, ever. But if you decide to talk to parents, don't talk to them after a situation happens. Nothing good can come out of it. But good ejection.

I do agree I shouldn't have but with it being a rec major game, I figured I'd give the parent what he wants. 

I do agree I shouldn't have but with it being a rec major game, I figured I'd give the parent what he wants. 

I refrain from that as much as possible. Giving the parent 'what they want' is exactly what we don't need to be doing. Don't talk to fans.

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk

• Like 1

...and why would you need my name?

Nothing good comes from telling a parent your name especially in this day and age.

They need it so bad they can talk to the coaches or if a major tournament the TD... Bet they don't get far there.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Never talk to parents and never give anyone your name unless they are signing the check!! In this day and age people complain and moan when things don't go their way. Even when in the wrong its always someone else's fault. Society cant handle authority figures. Just look how Law Enforcement is treated in this country. And of course its a daddy coach!!

• Like 1

On ‎4‎/‎15‎/‎2016 at 2:22 PM, wtompkins said:

Don't rationalize your mistake.  Your quote above should have read, "I do agree I shouldn't." 

Otherwise, good EJ.

• 2 weeks later...
On 4/15/2016 at 10:24 AM, wtompkins said:

The funny thing is, I get a parent talking to me during the inning switch and he asks for my name and he says I don't like my "umpiring style." I tell him my name and I say "My assigner is on the field next to us and by the looks of it, they have two outs in the inning so you have time to talk to him soon." 

You missed an opportunity to say "Bruce Froemming".