Second game first ejection

Tksjewelry
Umpire-Empire locks topics which have not been active in the last year. The thread you are viewing hasn't been active in 2844 days so you will not be able to post. We do recommend you starting a new topic to find out what's new in the world of umpiring.

I've learned to take a lot less crap from coaches over the last few years. We picked up a new contract with coaches that are used to kiddie umpires or in house umpires and one of their coaches thought he was going to scream at me from the dugout, that didn't go well for him.

One man, 12u

I had a balk, called it (easy balk really) immediately but the kids, parents and coaches were screaming and didn't even bother trying to listen to me (although the offensive parents managed to hear me). The kid started his motion home then got startled by runners moving and threw to a base. Runners running, and the defense would have had a double play except for the balk. After calling the balk I walked out in front of home with my arms up waiting for things to settle, I'm kind of used to coaches and parents ignoring my calls. Once they simmered down, I announced that I had a balk on the pitch, runners return (they were staring to walk off the field as it would have been three outs). Then the coach comes out yelling "what!? what!?" I say "coach he started his motion home" "No he didn't! Picking up his foot isn't a motion home" "yes coach he did, we're not going to be arguing calls tonight" "that's a horrible call!" plus a few things I didn't hear "coach, that's enough" I award runner and we continue play. A batter or two later this coach starts yelling from the dugout "did you check his form? Check his form.is his form OK?" and I'd had enough. "coach, your done. have a good night." three times I had to explain to the assistant coach that we don't resume play until the coach is gone. He went to work with a pitcher, the to the stands, finally he's screaming at me on the way out how terrible I am.

Sent from my SM-G920P using Tapatalk

• Like 1

If these know-nothing daddies have been getting away with that behavior for some time, they may be hard to potty-train. You may need to rinse-repeat a few times to get them to see the light. Hopefully you'll have backing from the organization that gave y'all the contract.

• Like 1

"The kid started his motion home then got startled by runners moving and threw to a base. Runners running, and the defense would have had a double play except for the balk"

I can't picture what you mean?

"The kid started his motion home then got startled by runners moving and threw to a base. Runners running, and the defense would have had a double play except for the balk"

I can't picture what you mean?

They didn't hear the balk call so the pitcher threw to third (instead of finishing his pitch home, hence the balk) on a runner at second moving to third. Then the third baseman threw to first on a runner returning.

Here's a good training video on how to deal with a head coach (manager) who is screaming at you from the dugout (after being ejected) and won't leave timely.  [Any excuse to post this video because I just love how cool Jim is during the whole thing.]  NSWF (but you definitely need to have the audio turned up.)

http://m.mlb.com/video/v6458903/atlfla-cox-is-ejected-for-arguing-with-the-umpire

• Like 1

Here's a good training video on how to deal with a head coach (manager) who is screaming at you from the dugout (after being ejected) and won't leave timely.  [Any excuse to post this video because I just love how cool Jim is during the whole thing.]  NSWF (but you definitely need to have the audio turned up.)

http://m.mlb.com/video/v6458903/atlfla-cox-is-ejected-for-arguing-with-the-umpire

The broken record tactic? "You gotta go..."

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk

Just now, ALStripes17 said:

The broken record tactic? "You gotta go..."

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk

Yup.  Don't engage him.  Don't argue.  Just stay calm and say, "you gotta go..." or "we're not starting until you're gone."

Yup.  Don't engage him.  Don't argue.  Just stay calm and say, "you gotta go..." or "we're not starting until you're gone."

I didn't engage at all. I just told the assistant that we wouldn't start until he was in the parking lot and I waited until he took care of it. I won't engage after ejection at all.

1 hour ago, Tksjewelry said:

I didn't engage at all. I just told the assistant that we wouldn't start until he was in the parking lot and I waited until he took care of it. I won't engage after ejection at all.

@Tksjewelry I wasn't implicitly referring negatively to your handling of your situation in the OP.  Your OP just gave me a chance to post one of my favorite MLB EJ videos of all-time.  As I posted in my first response in this thread, "Good EJ"!

@Tksjewelry I wasn't implicitly referring negatively to your handling of your situation in the OP.  Your OP just gave me a chance to post one of my favorite MLB EJ videos of all-time.  As I posted in my first response in this thread, "Good EJ"!

No, your good love, I didn't take anything out of it. I haven't had a chance to see the video yet. We're out looking at acreages in southern MO. I'm looking forward to seeing it and having decent cell coverage again.

7 hours ago, Welpe said:

Pepper has disappeared from baseball? Is that why I saw a whole team playing it in warmups one day?

I haven't seen anybody playing pepper in years.

Were you doing a game in Millard? I had some bad experiences there when I was really young, so I decided a long time ago I would never do a game there. 

There are some clowns there (if that's where you were). Great job on the EJ. 

I was at UBA but it was a Millard coach, lol. Awe, fun times.

On 4/1/2016 at 7:13 AM, lawump said:

This is usually how I handle it..

http://m.mlb.com/video/v5975865/ariwsh-hinch-is-ejected-arguing-a-play-at-first

The "get the **** out of here!", followed by the hand wave, is essential.

• Like 3

3 hours ago, Aging_Arbiter said:

I still stand by the rhetoric that I have NEVER ejected a player or coach from a game.  They did it themselves.  I just confirmed their desire to no longer participate in that days contest.

That rhetoric is fine as an umpire inside joke. It makes the point that it is coach behavior, not umpire whimsy, that leads to most ejections (or, apparently, all of yours).

As a statement of fact, however, it occludes the real authority exercised by umpires in ejecting people, and that could confuse matters with newer umpires who are often already reluctant to wield that authority properly.

• Like 3

Wow! maven, Profound. And...I might add, that this confusion is a cultural phenomenon that transcends the baseball diamond. It is the rejection of 'authority' in general that is contributing to the demise of much of civilized society. As it regards our sport and trade though, I agree that we'd be wise to continue to grow in our ability to 'wield that authority properly', lest the game continue to grow more uncivilized. 

• Like 1

@Tksjewelry, Sounds like you handled it like a pro.  Let him leave looking like a fool.

But, why do you say you're used to coaches and parents ignoring your calls?

My voice gets drowned out easily, it's pretty high pitched. I've been told I sound like a 12 year old boy or one of the cheering mothers. Last weekend was better, I've graveled my yell a bit and I got heard better. It did make my throat hurt a bit by the end of 5 games but I was heard better.