maven

Spring finally arrives

Baseball season begins today here in lovely Neck of the Woods. My double header starts at 1pm, or whenever the field is ready. Perennial state champs vs largest high school in the county, both teams rebuilding of late.

Forecast: 57°F, sunny, light wind. Two different partners on the two games, both good umpires. Should be fun.

• Like 1

Here in our piece of paradise, my NFHS season opens Monday at a nice park with two of the better teams in the local area with the weather forecasted to be 52F, 13mph winds and a 70% chance of rain.  I'm sure there's a reason we do this, but it escapes me at the moment.     

We had the dreaded fake tag. The defense overthrew 1B, and the BR advanced to 2B. F4 did a fake tag, and I saw the end of it. I was walking over to address it, and we had this exchange:

Me: You know that's illegal in high school baseball?

F6: What are you doing?

F4: [loudly, to F6] What! It's a fake tag!

Me: That's obstruction! You, third base!

F4: What is this, Little League™?

I was on the fence about enforcing the OBS until he yelled that he had committed an infraction. That made the call easy. 

6 minutes ago, maven said:

F4: What is this, Little League™?

"Nope. Because if you did it again in LL, I wouldn't eject you. But if you do it again today, I will."

• Like 2

46 minutes ago, JoeC said:

Hope you all are having fun. In my neck of the woods were still shoveling snow.:mad:

Here in my part of Maine - I worked a D-3 double header yesterday - once the sun came out, it was fine, but gloves were in order for game #1. HS not for a couple of weeks.

We are currently in week 7 of our HS season.  That being said, we've had temps in the 40's and temps in the 80's.  We've had frost, rain, wind and beautiful sunny days.  I've had games where I had to wear gloves and 4 layers one day, and sunscreen the next.

Gotta love GA weather!

9 hours ago, Umpirechick1 said:

We are currently in week 7 of our HS season.  That being said, we've had temps in the 40's and temps in the 80's.  We've had frost, rain, wind and beautiful sunny days.  I've had games where I had to wear gloves and 4 layers one day, and sunscreen the next.

Gotta love GA weather!

The difference is that you're describing GA weather in March, and Ohio weather in April. We haven't had our last snowstorm of the season yet...

A pal of mine wrote from GA to say that every round of their playoffs is best 2 out of 3. That's a process that will identify a champion team, not just one that is hot for 3 weeks. But you can't have that process when your season doesn't really start until April, and you have to be done by early June when the school year ends.

Well, whaddya know, I've hijacked my own thread. Lah.

• Like 1

Yesterday was sunny, beautiful and mid 50s in my part of the country. Yet my phone rang at 2:00 with the AD cancelling the game. Apparently the mound was still "soft" from previous rain.

I will try to get game 1 in this afternoon. 

15 minutes ago, goody14 said:

Yesterday was sunny, beautiful and mid 50s in my part of the country. Yet my phone rang at 2:00 with the AD cancelling the game. Apparently the mound was still "soft" from previous rain.

I will try to get game 1 in this afternoon. 

Same exact thing happened to me yesterday too....sunny, windy but beautiful. And they called it really early in the morning, too early IMO. Actually didn't cancel but moved it to the formerly visiting school, which was well over double the distance (30 min commute became an infeasible 1:15) so the game might have happened but it happened without me. Oh well, JV tonight to open it up.

And....we're one game into the season, three cancellations already. And not optimistic about tomorrow's DH.

I'm 3 games in, no cancellations, and only one bruise.

Yesterday's game was brutal, though. Started overcast and cool, so we donned our jackets. Wind picked up to 30+ mph in the first game and then started some light rain for a few minutes (not enough to stop play). Then, while we were still wet, the sun came out and the wind stopped, so we got nice and sweaty. Then the wind changed again the sun went down, and it was 50 degrees with a constant 20mph wind (freezing our wet and sweaty undergarments). Welcome to spring in Kansas.

We had snow for 6 of our 9 inning second game today, and eventually the infield got sufficiently mucky that we had to stop. 2 outs, 2 on, in the bottom of the 9th. Ugh.

The snow actually allowed us to continue: had it been the rain that was forecast, we would have had to stop much sooner.

On 4/2/2016 at 3:43 PM, maven said:

We had snow for 6 of our 9 inning second game today, and eventually the infield got sufficiently mucky that we had to stop. 2 outs, 2 on, in the bottom of the 9th. Ugh.

The snow actually allowed us to continue: had it been the rain that was forecast, we would have had to stop much sooner.

I'll keep the LA traffic...