Legal Move?

johnnyg08
Umpire-Empire locks topics which have not been active in the last year. The thread you are viewing hasn't been active in 2944 days so you will not be able to post. We do recommend you starting a new topic to find out what's new in the world of umpiring.

2 hours ago, ricka56 said:

I do not have his shoulders moving towards HP....just a dip at the start of this legally deceptive pick-off move.
Watch his non-pivot foot. It does gain direction/distance towards 2B. 

I have nothing. 

I see it as the start of his normal pitching motion.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Thunderheads said:

you can't tell from the video ............

I can't tell for sure, but don't see any movement towards the plate. If I was in C position, I would have no problem with this move.

7 hours ago, maineump said:

Looks like he is making the fake to 2B - did he gain ground? Maybe> His front foot did cross the rubber, so only moves from there are to HP or 2B.

He has to step more toward 2B than toward 3B. Distance AND direction.

15 minutes ago, MidAmUmp said:

I showed it to the crew I'm with this weekend and based what we've seen on the video, none of us have a balk. 

Why wouldn't you (y'all) call this a balk? is it because he stepped off to the back of the rubber?

2 hours ago, jpperez14 said:

Why wouldn't you (y'all) call this a balk? is it because he stepped off to the back of the rubber?

It's hard to tell from that perspective where his pivot foot was in relation to the rubber, so I'll assume for this discussion his foot was on it. I'd balk him for a no-step. To your point, if his foot was off it, I'd still balk him for mimicking his delivery while off the rubber (assuming the rule in college is the same as FED).

1 hour ago, MidAmUmp said:

The only way we'd call it is if he didn't clear the rubber on his step. He's not mimicking a delivery. Everything else is fine.

Why does he have to clear the rubber with his free foot? Because then it could be a step to 3B or 1B depending on the pitcher's hand? Would you allow a jab step towards home with the free foot not clearing the rubber? Not that we see it that much. Anyway IITBTSB.