Runner out of baseline

ERW27
Umpire-Empire locks topics which have not been active in the last year. The thread you are viewing hasn't been active in 2949 days so you will not be able to post. We do recommend you starting a new topic to find out what's new in the world of umpiring.

Interesting question my partners had tonight.  Man on first. Batter bunts and is fielded by F2. Runner (after the 45) is running inside the base path which causes the catcher to overthrow the first baseman. A very easy call. Here is the question where do you place runners. Do all forced runners move up 1 base? Do all runners advance 1 base? Or do have to aquire the base before the interference is called? 

• Replies 9
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Interesting question my partners had tonight.  Man on first. Batter bunts and is fielded by F2. Runner (after the 45) is running inside the base path which causes the catcher to overthrow the first baseman. A very easy call. Here is the question where do you place runners. Do all forced runners move up 1 base? Do all runners advance 1 base? Or do have to aquire the base before the interference is called? 

Last legally acquired base when the interference occurred... Or Time of Interference (TOI).

Most of the time this situation will be return runners where they started (in this sitch, it would be return R1 to 1B).

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk

3 hours ago, ALStripes17 said:

Last legally acquired base when the interference occurred... Or Time of Interference (TOI).

Most of the time this situation will be return runners where they started (in this sitch, it would be return R1 to 1B).

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk

Wouldn't OBR be Time of Pitch?

13 hours ago, ERW27 said:

OBR RLI is interference with the receiving of the throw, not the throwing.  Fed RLI includes the idea of affecting the throwing, like you've stated.

40 minutes ago, ERW27 said:

OK stupid question #2.

When does the interference occur. When throw is being attempted? When throw is made? Or when throw has become a bad throw (because of the runner)?

it happens when it happens.  ;)

In OBR, it's when the umpire judges that the first baseman has been hindered.  In FED, it's when the umpire recognizes that the throw is bad. (In OBR a "bad throw" is NOT RLI.)

It's certainly NOT when the throw is "attempted."

33 minutes ago, stl_ump said:

And maybe stupid question #3.  If there is no throw then no interference right?  Catcher feels he can't throw it because runner is in the way and doesn't.

Yes, a throw is required.  Even in FED. ;)

52 minutes ago, noumpere said:

it happens when it happens.  ;)

In OBR, it's when the umpire judges that the first baseman has been hindered.  In FED, it's when the umpire recognizes that the throw is bad. (In OBR a "bad throw" is NOT RLI.)

It's certainly NOT when the throw is "attempted."

Yes, a throw is required.  Even in FED. ;)

Read this thread for some FED confusion on the subject: 

The videos still remain on the Arbiter NFHS site.