Sign in to follow this  
Umpirechick1

Threatening coach

5 hours ago, Umpirechick1 said:

Good advice - thanks everyone!  While I'd like to say I don't think this will happen again, I'm sadly confident that it will.

You've got the new FED warning rule you can use for this. The second it happens, warn him and restrict him to the bench. If anything else happens after that, bounce him.

Here's what needed to happen:

You have opposing coaches addressing each other in an unfriendly manner. THAT you needed to stop. Hand up. palm to the offender, "STOP, please".

If I'd heard the exchange between the coaches, I absolutely would've stopped it - I've done it plenty of times in the past.  Anyone who has worked with me (or seen me work) will find out quickly that I won't tolerate a coach acting like that.  However, all I heard was the defensive coach talking to his catcher.  I found out in between innings that the offensive coach (at 3rd and in front of the opposing team's dugout) said something to the other coach.  Evidently there is some past history between the two, and that made it worse.

I just know that a lot of guys let this kind of thing go because of the accusation that umpires have rabbit ears, etc.  But because this is a safety issue and poor sportsmanship issue, I wanted opinions on what others would do.   

If I'd heard the exchange between the coaches, I absolutely would've stopped it - I've done it plenty of times in the past.  Anyone who has worked with me (or seen me work) will find out quickly that I won't tolerate a coach acting like that.  However, all I heard was the defensive coach talking to his catcher.  I found out in between innings that the offensive coach (at 3rd and in front of the opposing team's dugout) said something to the other coach.  Evidently there is some past history between the two, and that made it worse.

I just know that a lot of guys let this kind of thing go because of the accusation that umpires have rabbit ears, etc.  But because this is a safety issue and poor sportsmanship issue, I wanted opinions on what others would do.   

So many people who use the phrase "rabbit ears" have no clue what it actually means.

The only time I have seen an umpire restrict coach(es) was when the 3B coach was getting into it with the HC in the 3BL dugout. He restricted both coaches to their dugout. This kept them separated and we had no further problem.  

8 hours ago, RichMSN said:

So many people who use the phrase "rabbit ears" have no clue what it actually means.

That was a really helpful comment. (Insert sarcasm)

I agree with addressing the coach.  As far as it just being a scrimmage, look at it this way:  It's solid instruction to a coach that needs it, and it mat prevent this circumstance from happening during the seadon.