Wilson Memory Foam or Team Wendy

I have both Wilson and TW pads and love the TW pads...nothing against the Wilson...they just don't fit my face the same as the TW.  I have taken 3 straight on shots to the mask this season already.(doing alot of JV plates this season since it is my first in HS ball).  I have not even felt any of the hits.

On a side note: I took one on the forearm last night that i was ready to kick the catcher in the butt for dodging....this kid was diving out the way of the ball and trying to scoop them out the dirt like a first baseman. 

• Replies 35
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I actually use both TW and Wilson. Early or late in the season, when the temperature dips and it's chilly out there on the field, I like the Wilsons. They remain relatively soft even at colder te

fixed  

Just got a new Wilson aluminum mask with the stock (black) memory foam pads from Ump Attire.  Love the look of the silver frame and black pads.  Added a 4" Wilson throat guard and a sun shield. 

Posted Images

8 hours ago, Majordave said:

I also wish there were reliable and unbiased methods of comparison.

You'd think that with the diversity of people in this community somebody would have one of those super-slo-mo cameras and could do some comparisons for us.

7 hours ago, GerryB said:

How long will TW continue to make their mask pads?

Obviously the CP pads being custom made, made them a loser, but I can't imagine the mask pads are big business but maybe they are.

I am grabbing a couple of sets this spring in case they go belly up.

• Like 1
21 hours ago, GerryB said:

How long will TW continue to make their mask pads?

Obviously the CP pads being custom made, made them a loser, but I can't imagine the mask pads are big business but maybe they are.

If it's any indication, Team Wendy's website was recently (noticeably) updated, and a new category of products was created titled "Sporting", within which the UMPS pads reside (as the sole product). If they were dropping them, they'd have dropped them cold from the site.

The decision to discontinue the retrofitting service(s) was likely due to personnel or resources (time, equipment) factors. With conflicts still embroiling us overseas, and a heightened focus on First Responders and SAR teams, TW is probably running full tilt developing and producing their helmets and accessories. It can't be a coincidence that the tempest the NFL is experiencing with CTE has collateral affect upon any other employment using helmets and concussive force. I mean, keep in mind that before TW stepped in and started providing the new helmets, the SOF guys were using skateboard helmets. There is (or, was) probably only a few guys on staff who could do those CP retrofits, and those CP retrofits obviously take time and resources that the company determines are better spent on their actual product line.

Maybe they (too) realize that CP's like the UnEqual V2 are the way of the future, and the Wilsons, having not updated in at least 10 years, are a lost cause.

... oh how prophetic that would be.

• Like 1
3 hours ago, MadMax said:

If it's any indication, Team Wendy's website was recently (noticeably) updated, and a new category of products was created titled "Sporting", within which the UMPS pads reside (as the sole product). If they were dropping them, they'd have dropped them cold from the site.

The decision to discontinue the retrofitting service(s) was likely due to personnel or resources (time, equipment) factors. With conflicts still embroiling us overseas, and a heightened focus on First Responders and SAR teams, TW is probably running full tilt developing and producing their helmets and accessories. It can't be a coincidence that the tempest the NFL is experiencing with CTE has collateral affect upon any other employment using helmets and concussive force. I mean, keep in mind that before TW stepped in and started providing the new helmets, the SOF guys were using skateboard helmets. There is (or, was) probably only a few guys on staff who could do those CP retrofits, and those CP retrofits obviously take time and resources that the company determines are better spent on their actual product line.

Maybe they (too) realize that CP's like the UnEqual V2 are the way of the future, and the Wilsons, having not updated in at least 10 years, are a lost cause.

... oh how prophetic that would be.

There it is!  @MadMax never fails us! 

I haven't used the Wilson Memory Foam but did take a direct shot to my TW padded mask last night.  Mid-low 80's, batter swung through it, catcher never put a glove on it.  Caught me square, mask stayed on, jaw was slightly sore for 1/2 and inning - all good after that.

Temp in the low 50's so you've got me wondering if the Wilson Memory Foam would have been better in that situation

Edited by Sprink
more information

I tried TWs. Be lucky if we'll get any games above 65 degrees for the next month or so; until June they were as hard as a weathered 2x4.  Not for me.  I shouldn't have to wait for "pads" to "soften up." Wilson leathers or the force3.  I was going to get my CP done when I had the money because of the slim factor, but . . .

Has anyone else had a problem with the Wilson memory foam bottom pad riding up? I just placed a set on my +Pos ZRO G mask and they do not sit on the bottom rung of the mask very well. I'm thinking about using zip ties on the two side straps to hold the pad down. 

image.jpeg

Switched to TW this year after many years with Wilson. I will not go back. Took a direct shot from a D3 college game to the mask and again a week later. Far less impact felt from the TW than previous Wilson pads.  I am a convert.