Wilson Memory Foam or Team Wendy

sthomas13100
Umpire-Empire locks topics which have not been active in the last year. The thread you are viewing hasn't been active in 2942 days so you will not be able to post. We do recommend you starting a new topic to find out what's new in the world of umpiring.

Just got a new Wilson aluminum mask with the stock (black) memory foam pads from Ump Attire.  Love the look of the silver frame and black pads.  Added a 4" Wilson throat guard and a sun shield. 

My question; would you leave the stock pads or add some team Wendy?  I have 2 other diamond masks with team Wendy and really like them.  Didn't know how the Wilson would compare.  High school varsity is the highest level called.

• Like 1

Try them out - I have never used them, but I would try them, as many have said they like them. You can always order some if you don't like them. I love the TW's - just bought my 5th set.

BTW - I was told by a dealer the other day, that TW (black only) had a problem, and it was caught before it left the factory. If your supplier has them in stock then great, otherwise it will be mid-March before they can get them. He told me that the ones now at suppliers are all fine, it was found before they shipped any.

Wilson's memory foam pads are way better than Team Wendy pads. I used two different sets of TW pads over several seasons then bought a mask from someone on here last year with the Wilson's. More comfortable, softer padding, softer covering on the outside. Nothing wrong with TW pads, but if I had to choose I would take the Wilson's every time. 

• Like 1

6 hours ago, zm1283 said:

Wilson's memory foam pads are way better I prefer the Wilson pads way more than Team Wendy pads. I used two different sets of TW pads over several seasons then bought a mask from someone on here last year with the Wilson's. More comfortable, softer padding, softer covering on the outside. Nothing wrong with TW pads, but if I had to choose I would take the Wilson's every time. 

fixed :wave: 

• Like 2

Try both.  You'll get a lot of guys who recommend the team wendys and a lot of guys who'll recommend the wilsons.  Both will do the job, it's just a question of comfort.  In the end, it's your face/head those pads are protecting, so go with the set you feel most comfortable with.

• Like 1

I have both and for "feel" I prefer the memory foam pads.  I have no idea if they reduce the energy transferred to the head as well as the TW pads.

I have the black memory foam pads on my silver frame ZRO-G, and the tan TW pads on my black frame ZRO-G.  I don't think Wilson makes tan memory foam pads.

12 hours ago, Thunderheads said:

fixed :wave: 

Oh yeah, way to put the cap back on the gas can, Jeff. ;) 

To the question, try 'em out. The WMF's are likely on-par with TW's...

... although it is pretty pathetic Wilson can't be bothered to do a tan version. Multi-million dollar company and ignorantly inept. Hoofah.

14 hours ago, MadMax said:

Oh yeah, way to put the cap back on the gas can, Jeff. ;) 

To the question, try 'em out. The WMF's are likely on-par with TW's...

... although it is pretty pathetic Wilson can't be bothered to do a tan version. Multi-million dollar company and ignorantly inept. Hoofah.

LOL ..... no gas can, ....I just don't want people saying something is "way better" when it's really just an opinion .....

• Like 1

44 minutes ago, Thunderheads said:

LOL ..... no gas can, ....I just don't want people saying something is "way better" when it's really just an opinion .....

Obviously it's an opinion. If someone reading that couldn't figure that out, that's their own problem. 

20 minutes ago, zm1283 said:

Obviously it's an opinion. If someone reading that couldn't figure that out, that's their own problem. 

I said that wrong , my fault...... I didn't mean to say or come across like you did something wrong, because you didn't ... I just clarified it

2 hours ago, Thunderheads said:

I said that wrong , my fault...... I didn't mean to say or come across like you did something wrong, because you didn't ... I just clarified it

I know. No problems here. 

On February 2, 2016 at 10:37 AM, sthomas13100 said:

Just got a new Wilson aluminum mask with the stock (black) memory foam pads from Ump Attire.  Love the look of the silver frame and black pads.  Added a 4" Wilson throat guard and a sun shield. 

My question; would you leave the stock pads or add some team Wendy?  I have 2 other diamond masks with team Wendy and really like them.  Didn't know how the Wilson would compare.  High school varsity is the highest level called.

Thanks @sthomas13100 for the order and the mention. I agree with you on the look and happy you'll be wearing that this season. 

All the comments were right on regarding the pads preference.

Best of luck with your season (and your mask)!

• 3 weeks later...

If color, good looks, and/or softness is your leading set of criteria, then get what you think makes you look pretty. My leading criteria for mask pads is safety. Until there is a quantifiable way to distinguish the safety aspect of the competing products, I go with what the military uses in their protective equipment, TW.   

I actually use both TW and Wilson.

Early or late in the season, when the temperature dips and it's chilly out there on the field, I like the Wilsons. They remain relatively soft even at colder temperatures. The team Wendy pads get hard as bricks when it's cold out. Having said that, when it's really hot out there on the diamond, the Wilsons get a little too soft for my tastes, whereas the TW pads are a bit firmer and absorb the shock better, IMO.

There's no law against switching out your pads based on the game day temperature. I used this method all of last season and it worked out well for me. I'll be doing the same thing this year, too.

• Like 3

• 3 weeks later...
On March 1, 2016 at 11:20 PM, ricka56 said:

If color, good looks, and/or softness is your leading set of criteria, then get what you think makes you look pretty. My leading criteria for mask pads is safety. Until there is a quantifiable way to distinguish the safety aspect of the competing products, I go with what the military uses in their protective equipment, TW.   

Just a bit of info that not all military grade materials are the best. The contracts are filled by those manufacturers who choose to bid. AND, key point here, the contracts usually go to the lowest bidder. 

Just sayin. 

On March 1, 2016 at 6:26 AM, Man_In_Black said:

I actually use both TW and Wilson.

Early or late in the season, when the temperature dips and it's chilly out there on the field, I like the Wilsons. They remain relatively soft even at colder temperatures. The team Wendy pads get hard as bricks when it's cold out. Having said that, when it's really hot out there on the diamond, the Wilsons get a little too soft for my tastes, whereas the TW pads are a bit firmer and absorb the shock better, IMO.

There's no law against switching out your pads based on the game day temperature. I used this method all of last season and it worked out well for me. I'll be doing the same thing this year, too.

I like this approach. Whatever works. It's your face and brain. 

1 minute ago, Majordave said:

Just a bit of info that not all military grade materials are the best. The contracts are filled by those manufacturers who choose to bid. AND, key point here, the contracts usually go to the lowest bidder. 

Just sayin. 

I think everyone is aware of that generality. Are you making a specific assertion or are you just suffering from cabin fever ? 

I have no idea whether TW mask pads are more protective than Wilson...I wish there was reliable way to compare them. 

No assertion. Just had some knowledge I thought I would share. 

I also wish there were reliable and unbiased methods of comparison. We've got this forum. Not scientific. Sometimes not without bias. But, at least it's info we can use to make informed decisions with.