Do any of you workout just to get in shape to work baseball? Is a workout part of your daily life? Or are you a lucky one who doesn't need any form of exercise? I've found that once the season starts now that I'm out of baseball... I stop working out during baseball. Between work and baseball I'm too tired to make it. What do you guys (and gals) do to balance this? As a side note... I love the gym. It's not a matter of not wanting to go!

• Replies 15
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Round is a shape.

I can remember working football and thinking that game days where I worked two varsity football games I was actually getting out of shape. To be young. Now if I work two full football games I wear fit

Ready to incorporate some exercise into to my new routine ......... Down almost 12 lbs since the 4th...........

I work out 4-5 days a week all year.  That said, if I have no games for more than a couple of weeks, I feel it more after the game than if I am working a game or two every week.

• Like 1

The only thing I do differently before the start of the season is I start doing lunges/deep knee bends a couple of weeks before my first game. Those particular muscles don't get a regular workout when I'm not behind the plate.

• Like 1

I think the older you get the more important preseason preparation is. That said I used to work basketball and roll right from basketball season into baseball and softball with little issue in no thought of preseason fitness preparation.  working basketball six days a week had me in probably my best shape of the year with maintaining solid weight training. Now I have a pretty specific routine that I add to my normal workouts in January and feel very prepared for the season.

Edited by Cato the Younger
  • Like 1

I can remember working football and thinking that game days where I worked two varsity football games I was actually getting out of shape. To be young. Now if I work two full football games I wear fitness tracker bragging about how many steps I logged.

Edited by Cato the Younger
  • Like 3

I just restarted my gym program... damn holidays!

1/2 hour cardio and then some weights or stretching exercises. But really living in So Cal there is not a real off season other then right around Christmas it slows down a little so it is not all that hard to jump right back in.

• Like 1

When I was in baseball this was my schedule. Wake up 10am. workout, eat lunch, take a nap, head to the ballpark to be there at 5, rub up the balls as a crew for the days game, Usually 7 dozen, games usually 7:05-7:10, game times 2:45-3:30 then shower and leave laundry for the cluby, head to bar/dinner, get back around 1-2 rinse and recycle. That was the life. Get away days we left right after the game.

When I was in baseball this was my schedule. Wake up 10am. workout, eat lunch, take a nap, head to the ballpark to be there at 5, rub up the balls as a crew for the days game, Usually 7 dozen, games usually 7:05-7:10, game times 2:45-3:30 then shower and leave laundry for the cluby, head to bar/dinner, get back around 1-2 rinse and recycle. That was the life. Get away days we left right after the game.

That sounds about right.

I've been procrastinating this winter. My new toy is due to arrive tomorrow.

Image result for bowflex max

First day on my new toy. The consensus? Nice machine. Smooth, quiet, easy to read dashboard.....Oh yeah.....one more thing...I'm out of shape. Time to get serious and change that.

• 2 weeks later...

Somebody told me, I get older each year but the players stay the same age...I thought about that and have been running daily with weight training as well. Some people call me crazy for that to be motivation but this is a career I love and want to grow at so I work hard now to get rewarded later! Yes I treat this as a career more then a hobby.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• 1 month later...

I started transitioning this week in workout programs. One of my hobbies is powerlifting. 

From what I've seen, most people ignore prehab a ton. It's easy to get nagging little injuries that linger and cause issues with other muscles. 

Here are some resources that I think can help:

1) Buy some rehab tools - foam roller, lacrosse balls, loop bands are very useful. These are used to stretch out joints, work out knots and fix tightness. 

2) Check out the sites that are revolutionizing the rehab/injury prevention industry

- Eric Cressey

- www.mobilitywod.com

- driveline baseball (he has a nice writeup in Jeff Passan's forthcoming The Arm book)

Stretching isn't the circles and jumping jacks we did as kids. Kelly Starrett at mwod does a great job of helping you teach your body to get into the correct position. He works with athletes, crossfit performers and soldiers. The site and youtube channel (as well as his book) are full of specific exercises to fix muscle tightness and joint soreness.

Be in tune with your body. Learn the difference between hurting and injured. Know when you can push through and suck it up and when you need to say "I need to take the day off."

3) Ease into workout programs. Once, after not lifting in years, I went HAM. I barely crawled out of the gym after knocking off early, struggled to drive home (stick shift), barely made it to my second floor apt, laid down, crawled to the bathroom and puked. I didn't go back to the gym for another 6 years. While it has its flaws, Starting Strength is a great introductory program that eases you into weight, helps you find where you're at, and build a foundational strength.

4) Don't get injured. :)

5) Don't believe the hype. Find a good source of information. There's so many supplements and preworkouts, equipment, programs and theories out there. Most of them are crap. www.examine.com will give you unbiased info about supplements, drugs (legal and illegal) and other chemicals that will help you decide what you need or don't need. Reddit's r/fitness is good. So is http://forumserver.twoplustwo.com/167/commercial-software/

6) Decide what your goals are. Ignore a lot of people's advice. It's like listening to non-umpires tell you how to call a game. Sometimes, it's best to pull a Homer - 

You just need to ignore most of their advice.