Smitty Convertible Umpire Jacket

jpperez14
Umpire-Empire locks topics which have not been active in the last year. The thread you are viewing hasn't been active in 2874 days so you will not be able to post. We do recommend you starting a new topic to find out what's new in the world of umpiring.

If anyone figures out how the Smitty compares size-wise to the Majestic, post it here. I like my Majestic but it is a large and runs way too big. I will sell it to someone who wants it if I get the Smitty jacket. 

If anyone figures out how the Smitty compares size-wise to the Majestic, post it here. I like my Majestic but it is a large and runs way too big. I will sell it to someone who wants it if I get the Smitty jacket. 

I ordered the smitty one today, said I should probably receive it by Friday? I'll let you know when I get one unless someone says otherwise.

If anyone figures how the Smitty compares size-wise to the Majestic, post it here. I like my Majestic but it is a large and runs way too big. I will sell it to someone who wants it if I get the Smitty jacket. 

What size is your Majestic? I might be interested.

What size is your Majestic? I might be interested.

:D

Here's the description from the Ump-Attire site.

Description

Adapt easily to changing weather conditions with this convertible umpire jacket (pullover), the same style worn on-field by MLB umpires.

This Smitty jacket replaces the Majestic jacket that has been discontinued. It is available in black only.

• 100% horizontal ripstop polyester
  • "Zip-off" removable long sleeves convert to short sleeves to easily move from cooler to warmer weather or as on-field conditions change.
  • Moisture wicking and water repellent for warm or rainy conditions
  • Color: all-black
  • Sized to accommodate chest protector underneath - size down for base

It sounds like the same exact jacket.

Edited by Forest Ump

Differences and Similarities

No Majestic (or Smitty logo). You are correct.

Not available in navy.

$10 less

Sized same.

In general, it's so similar we used the same copy from the Majestic convertible. (As @Forest Ump observantly noted).

I will add I think the jacket is better than the Majestic. Why? One additional difference - and it's subtle. The fabric - although generally the same - is slightly (very slightly) sturdier. So it will feel a little more substantial - in a good way (again, it's subtle).

This really benefits the collar. The collar will stay up better as a result.

If you rated the Majestic well, the Smitty will not disappoint. One of our best sellers so far for the start of 2016!

• Like 1

Differences and Similarities

No Majestic (or Smitty logo). You are correct.

Not available in navy.

$10 less

Sized same.

In general, it's so similar we used the same copy from the Majestic convertible. (As @Forest Ump observantly noted).

I will add I think the jacket is better than the Majestic. Why? One additional difference - and it's subtle. The fabric - although generally the same - is slightly (very slightly) sturdier. So it will feel a little more substantial - in a good way (again, it's subtle).

This really benefits the collar. The collar will stay up better as a result.

If you rated the Majestic well, the Smitty will not disappoint. One of our best sellers so far for the start of 2016!

Jim, are they going to make a Navy version?

I hope they plan on making this in navy. Was planning on picking up one to wear on bases. I have majestic black one and wear it on bases whenever possible. Was looking forward to finding another option  for when I get stuck with guys that have navy shirt only as I think the convertible  jacket on the bases look sharper than regular shirt

I hope they plan on making this in navy. Was planning on picking up one to wear on bases. I have majestic black one and wear it on bases whenever possible. Was looking forward to finding another option  for when I get stuck with guys that have navy shirt only as I think the convertible  jacket on the bases look sharper than regular shirt

Tell your guys to suck it up and buy black shirts. I just bought 6 shirts for $10 each. It's inexcusable to only have navy in this day and age.
  • Like 5

What size do you need? I may have an additional Navy one laying around.

As an owner of both the black and navy colorways of the original Majestic jacket, I have to say I'm overjoyed someone is continuing it. Mixed feelings on it being Smitty, but hey, at least it's being done. Every umpire should have this jacket (tuck it in when you do wear it, please, looks more complete), and I can say, hand on heart, you will never have to wear a long sleeve base layer shirt under a short-sleeve polo shirt ever again. It also cuts a lot of the coordination confusion out of the equation, since this jacket, in navy, complements all of the navy-trimmed shirts and jackets, while the black obviously complements all the black trims.

Maybe this will finally kill off all those 1980's lightweight pullover jackets with the v-necks, in navy with red trim.

And shock of shocks, I'm actually fully endorsing @JaxRolo's sentiments on this one.