Umpires Will Be Required To Issue A Warning In 2016

Cato the Younger
Umpire-Empire locks topics which have not been active in the last year. The thread you are viewing hasn't been active in 2952 days so you will not be able to post. We do recommend you starting a new topic to find out what's new in the world of umpiring.

Why would he want to push the envelope? 

Because, at times, it works on getting the next call(s) to go your way. Sounds crazy, but I've seen him "work" umpires into leaning call in his direction over the years.

He is very intolerant, rightly or wrongly, of lazy umpires. Don't bother to rotate, go out on fly ball, etc, and he'll let you know about it a way that lets you know he's a umpire himself ("You'd have seen it if you were in the library" What coach knows to say that?). He never drops the "I'm an umpire, too" nonsense, either. We all know how that goes.

He's been an assistant coach, and knows when to "take a bullet" for the manager. But, over 5 years, he's only been restricted once, and dumped once late in '15. So he seems to know the limit.

If you've ever coached, and watched lazy umpires, you know what I mean. I'm talking about guy who stand behind the dish, and never even bother to remove their mask, lazy.

I was stopped in a grocery store by a local HS umpire. Since my son looks a lot like me (sorry, 'bout that, boy), and he asked if my son was a local coach. "He called me out on missing a rotation, but did it without embarrassing me. I goofed, but only another umpire would have noticed it." He thought it was cool that way he handled it.

Good managers and coaches learn the limits, and how to dance up to that line. Bad ones yell, get ejected, and do nothing to help their team.

Because, at times, it works on getting the next call(s) to go your way. Sounds crazy, but I've seen him "work" umpires into leaning call in his direction over the years.

He is very intolerant, rightly or wrongly, of lazy umpires. Don't bother to rotate, go out on fly ball, etc, and he'll let you know about it a way that lets you know he's a umpire himself ("You'd have seen it if you were in the library" What coach knows to say that?). He never drops the "I'm an umpire, too" nonsense, either. We all know how that goes.

He's been an assistant coach, and knows when to "take a bullet" for the manager. But, over 5 years, he's only been restricted once, and dumped once late in '15. So he seems to know the limit.

If you've ever coached, and watched lazy umpires, you know what I mean. I'm talking about guy who stand behind the dish, and never even bother to remove their mask, lazy.

I was stopped in a grocery store by a local HS umpire. Since my son looks a lot like me (sorry, 'bout that, boy), and he asked if my son was a local coach. "He called me out on missing a rotation, but did it without embarrassing me. I goofed, but only another umpire would have noticed it." He thought it was cool that way he handled it.

Good managers and coaches learn the limits, and how to dance up to that line. Bad ones yell, get ejected, and do nothing to help their team.

Do you actually believe this crap? If that's the case they are not umpires but bodies!

Do you actually believe this crap? If that's the case they are not umpires but bodies!

Not only do I believe it, I've seen it time and time again.

There's a lot of bad umpires out there. Especially at the HS level, because, let's face it, who's available for a 3pm weekday game? There are some good ones, but not that many. At least in my area.

Not only do I believe it, I've seen it time and time again.

There's a lot of bad umpires out there. Especially at the HS level, because, let's face it, who's available for a 3pm weekday game? There are some good ones, but not that many. At least in my area.

If that's the case I wouldn't want to work with your son. If he is "working" umpires then he is more worried about managing the umpires then his players. 

I think my term "working" may be too harsh. Here's what I mean:

He always knows, and uses the first name of all the umpires. Never says "Blue".

He knows not to question balls and strikes, but rather tells his catcher to "move that target up a little". He knows where the PU is calling strikes, and has his battery adjust, instead of whining about it. He teaches his catchers to be friendly, and have a rolling conversation with the PU. Being a former catcher, he knows how to hold a pitch, and how long is too long. He'll chastise his F2 in front of the PU for doing anything to anger the PU. He'll do the same thing to the pitcher.

He'll take the umpires side on judgement calls he knows he can't get overturned. "HEY! You need to get that tag down sooner!", even if he thinks the umpire got it wrong.

He can read the body language of a BU, to tell if he might have missed a call. He knows when, and when not to go request help.

It's the little things that most managers, because they've never been umpires, don't know. The proper speed to jog out to the BU, putting your hands in your back pockets, asking "Mike, what did you have on that?", etc. Another "trick" is asking the PU about his gear. "Steve, how do you like those 460's?" as you're walking to the coaches box. It's all these subtle thing that add up during a game, that can tilt the field in your favor.

Edited by kylejt
  • Like 1

• 1 month later...
9 hours ago, WildFlyer said:

A preposition is word you should never end a sentence with ....

First this is an umpire board not a grammar class but since you brought up the topic........ Why not? I do know a bit about Latin and the Latin-obsessed writers of the 17th century. This should be obvious by my choice of handle. Some of these silly groundless rules (termed 'fetishes' by Henry Fowler in 1926) have a very long history. Back in the 17th century, some notable writers tried to make English grammar conform to that of Latin rules..... hence a veto on split infinitives as well as your preposition confusion you posted about above. The word proposition ultimately derives from Latin prae (before) and ponere (to place). In Latin grammar, the rule is that a preposition should always precede the prepositional object that it is linked with, it's never placed after it. According to a number of authorities, (it was the John Dryden in 1672 who was the first person to criticize a piece of English writing (by Ben Jonson) for placing a preposition at the end of a clause instead of before the noun or pronoun to which it was linked. This prohibition was taken up by grammarians and teachers in the next three centuries. English is not Latin. So why should it follow Latin's rules? Just like baseball is not cricket. Nevertheless, many people are still taught that ending a sentence with a preposition should be avoided. I choose not to be shackled by such silly rules. Now back to umpiring.

7 hours ago, Cato the Younger said:

First this is an umpire board not a grammar class but since you brought up the topic........ Why not? I do know a bit about Latin and the Latin-obsessed writers of the 17th century. This should be obvious by my choice of handle. Some of these silly groundless rules (termed 'fetishes' by Henry Fowler in 1926) have a very long history. Back in the 17th century, some notable writers tried to make English grammar conform to that of Latin rules..... hence a veto on split infinitives as well as your preposition confusion you posted about above. The word proposition ultimately derives from Latin prae (before) and ponere (to place). In Latin grammar, the rule is that a preposition should always precede the prepositional object that it is linked with, it's never placed after it. According to a number of authorities, (it was the John Dryden in 1672 who was the first person to criticize a piece of English writing (by Ben Jonson) for placing a preposition at the end of a clause instead of before the noun or pronoun to which it was linked. This prohibition was taken up by grammarians and teachers in the next three centuries. English is not Latin. So why should it follow Latin's rules? Just like baseball is not cricket. Nevertheless, many people are still taught that ending a sentence with a preposition should be avoided. I choose not to be shackled by such silly rules. Now back to umpiring.

It's also bad form to copy the work of others and pass it off as your own.

My .02

• Like 4

17 hours ago, Cato the Younger said:

First this is an umpire board not a grammar class but since you brought up the topic........ Why not?

Cato.  Aside from your brash act of plagiarism ...

Are you aware that the word WITH is a preposition?  A preposition is word you should never end a sentence with ....

Do you get the humor now?

That ironic sentence I posted is as old as the hills.  I heard it 40 years ago when I was in middle school.

I bet you're a lot of fun to hang out with.  Lighten up ...

• Like 1

On February 23, 2016 at 7:51 PM, Kevin_K said:

It's also bad form to copy the work of others and pass it off as your own.

My .02

Failed attempt at humor and yes I figured someone would google the post it but I was relying on fair use and trying to be funny. That post crashed and burned.

thank-you.jpg

19 hours ago, WildFlyer said:

Cato.  Aside from your brash act of plagiarism ...

Are you aware that the word WITH is a preposition?  A preposition is word you should never end a sentence with ....

Do you get the humor now?

That ironic sentence I posted is as old as the hills.  I heard it 40 years ago when I was in middle school.

I bet you're a lot of fun to hang out with.  Lighten up ...

Sorry, just trying to be funny. You might be surprised with hanging out with me. Sometimes posting something does not always come across in the right context. I found your post very amusing. I do apologize for how it came across. I was trying to be playful but a see how the post would be perceived. Like I posted above it was a crash and burn. 

9 hours ago, LMSANS said:

Enough with the grammar & plagiarism police.  Get back to umpiring or we shut it down.

I appreciate the class in how you moderate. Thank You.

I don't blame anyone for posting what they did as I accept responsibility for my failed attempt at humor. I do have a viewpoint on umpiring, and so I should have been wise enough to expect the reaction to a poor attempt at humor from some of the regs here.

I also have that feeling you get when you miss one in a game, and you know you missed it. It sucks, but you need to put it behind you and focus on the next play.

I really am here to post about umpiring, I was the OP of this thread and still not a fan of this rule change and would like see how this really "change in procedure" procedure evolves and really care less about grammar which reading several of my posts would surely reveal. 

Noob question. If I restrict a coach or player to the bench in the first game of a doubleheader do they become unrestricted for the second game?

Yes. New game, new life.

Same as if you ejected him in the first game (unless your state has adopted some suspension rule)

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk

5 hours ago, BT_Blue said:

I could swear the FED book says that an ejection automatically contains a one game suspension. Or am I just crazy again?

FED rules are about the playing of the game itself, and include only the time immediately before and immediately after in their coverage. They leave it to states to dictate penalties for ejections.

My state has a 2-game suspension (plus more other things for coaches). The deterrent seems to be working: we had only 7 HS (varsity + subvarsity) coach ejections last season. (I have no data on how many coaches should have been ejected but wuss umpires failed to do so.) For us, at least, the new rule about written warnings isn't expected to have much impact.

I'm not sure what follows concerning your mental health. :)