Sign in to follow this  
LTL509

Umpire Book

Any good suggestions on rule books or guides that explain rules in a bit more followable way? I can read and reread a rule but sometimes it's hard to wrap my mind around it. However reading many case studies and Q and A on here I get it and have no issues. Thanks in advance for suggestions.

509: If your reading situations here and not having any issues you might be missing something :-) I agree with Rolo you can supplement your rule book study with clinics and casebook reading. Sent from my SM-N910T using Tapatalk

still looking for suggestions on books if anyone has one I'd appreciate it. Thanks.

Are you looking for fed or obr? Sent from my SM-G920P using Tapatalk

Since you did not specify what code you wanted help with, I think the single best book for you would be the Baseball Rules Differences by Carl Childress. He writes an annual update and his 2016 edition just came out.

It is self-described as the “only complete reference to all differences:  National Federation, NCAA, NAIA, and Official Rules.” You can purchase it for about $35 at his website or on Amazon.

There are many other good rules interpretation manuals. Here are two interpretation manuals for the Official Baseball Rules:

Wendelstedt Rules and Interpretations Manual (WUM) available at the umpire school website for about $60.

The Rules of Professional Baseball: A Comprehensive Reorganization and Interpretation (J/R) by Chris Jaksa and Rick Roder. It costs about $40 and is available at Mr. Roder’s website, rulesof baseball.com.

You might also consider The Official Rules of Baseball Illustrated by David Nemec. It is about the history of the rules so perhaps that approach might help you remember the rules better.

I think BRD is a great resource.  I personally don't see it as a teaching / learning tool.  But, we all learn in different manners, so it might be useful for others in this way.

Any good suggestions on rule books or guides that explain rules in a bit more followable way? I can read and reread a rule but sometimes it's hard to wrap my mind around it. However reading many case studies and Q and A on here I get it and have no issues. Thanks in advance for suggestions.

@LTL509: The Jacksa/Roder Manual (rulesofbaseball.com)...also known on these boards as J/R...organizes the rules by subject matter rather than by rule number.  It also uses plain English to replace a lot of legalese (even though I make my money reading legalese...LOL).  It also has ton of examples.  It was the textbook for the Brinkman/Froemming Umpire School (before it merged into Jim Evans' School).

The only negative is that it is a couple of years old, so it doesn't have some of the recent rule changes...but you can pick those up easily enough.  I STRONGLY recommend this book if you are looking for something that just spells it out by subject-matter, in simple English, with lots of examples.  It is the best $40 you'll spend.

Once you get J/R down pat, you can move onto the BRD (which is unbelievable...but it doesn't teach you the rules...it only teaches you rules differences) and other sources.

Go to their website...they have several sample pages and you can see what I am talking about.

That's my two cents.

LTL509, 

You are doing the right thing and ahead of a lot of other people, just by seeking the information. There is no easy way, or magic pill to speed up your knowledge on rules that change from year to year, and are not applied consistently, or interpreted the same.  

What do I mean by "not applied consistently, or interpreted the same",  Some umpires do. some don't. This league or organization uses these rules from LL, and these from HS, and they made up a few because, they can. And don't forget Tie goes to the runner, a myth in baseball.

Here are a few links-  two about rules and one on how to handle situations .

http://www.nwumpires.com/home/index.php/larryscorner-7/14-amateur2/168-top-40-baseball-rule-myths     baseball rule myths
http://www.carlsbrd.com/ 151 ways to ruin a game, 2016 BRD

http://verbaljudo.com/ great for handling sitiations

Attend clinics, read everything, ask questions and work hard and fill you tool box.

Scubaump

• Like 1

I'm a fan of many of the books referenced above.

I would also add the Wendelstedt Rules and Interpretation Manual http://www.umpireschool.com/catalog.html#!/Wendelstedt-Rules-and-Interpretations-Manual/p/44870122/category=11531754

It has case plays, harry's hints and is a great tool.