I just received notice that I will be the lead official next Saturday for one of the state finals in women's volleyball. Just like good baseball, good volleyball is a joy to officiate. Most of the time, the game calls itself.

I will do my best to not suck!

• Like 4
  • Replies 3
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I just received notice that I will be the lead official next Saturday for one of the state finals in women's volleyball. Just like good baseball, good volleyball is a joy to officiate. Most of the tim

Officiating state finals in volleyball was a great experience! The atmosphere was electric. The teams were unbelievably talented. The players were intense, and the stands were packed with some interes

• 2 weeks later...

Officiating state finals in volleyball was a great experience! The atmosphere was electric. The teams were unbelievably talented. The players were intense, and the stands were packed with some interesting and enthusiastic supporters! And the volleyball was awesome!

I had four ball handling calls, two which were so obvious anyone could have called them. Thankfully, the match called itself. After the match I spoke with a friend who officiated another of the matches and he said....... and I quote....." You didn't suck! Nice job."

My wife said, "No offense, but that match could have been played without you." She was right, but it wasn't. The most difficult part of the day was the hour leading up to the match dealing with my own butterflies, but once the whistle blew, it all became just another match.

The hardest part of getting to officiate that level of match has been done. The state assignors now know who I am and can trust that I can handle myself and a match in that environment. I can't wait to get back there again!

• Like 3

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

• Similar Content

• By Kevin_K
      So this Saturday I was all set to officiate the semi finals for the county volleyball championships. Both semis are played back to back, with one official up for the first match and their partner down the first match, and then the two officials y switch for the second match. For most parts of the country, county championships mean little, but in New Jersey, they are a big deal because there are so many schools in each county. 
      Last night I got a call from my assigner. He said he had to remove me because I am on the "no" list for one of the schools.  Not because of my ability to officiate a volleyball match, but because, according to the athletic director, of a "bad attitude."

This past September I was at this AD's school for a big match with a very talented team. In the first set I heard the student section call out two visiting players by number. In New Jersey, that's a no no because of our sates's position on good sportsmanship. I motioned for the AD to come over to the referee stand because I wanted to let him know what I had heard.
      When he came over to the stand he said ,"If you're going to talk to me, you're going to come down off that stand. I'm not talking to you while you are up there." So I did.
      I told him what I had heard and he said, "I was over there and didn't hear anything." To which I said, "I didn't say that you did. I did." He replied, "So what do you want me to do?"
      I told him that if I heard something like that again, I was going to ask them to leave if the culprit was not found, to which he said, "Do whatever you need to do."
      The road team lost the first set and one of their players punched the ball into the floor and it bounced pretty high. Upon seeing that, the AD approached my stand and said (while I was still "up there") and advised me that perhaps I should pay more attention to what was happening on the court more than what was going on in the stands. I said nothing to him. Just stared in disbelief.
      I guess I am guilty as charged. No defense allowed. No witnesses like my partner who heard the same thing I did. Not the coach who has indicated in the past that she actually enjoys having me on her matches because I make her team play with better ball handling. Game, set, match. Let the masked man do his job.....

Mrs Kevin_K and I shall now dine at our leisure this Saturday evening in a restaurant to be named later. You may now return to your regularly scheduled programming

• By Kevin_K
      394 107584 R1 11/19/2016 Sat 
      2:00 PM Volleyball, Tournament of Champions William Paterson University TBA TBA $80.00   Accepted on 11/3/2016  
      Just received this assignment today! Better than state finals...... all the pressure of winning for the teams is off.
      Can't wait to allow this match call itself!