State Finals!

Kevin_K
Umpire-Empire locks topics which have not been active in the last year. The thread you are viewing hasn't been active in 3048 days so you will not be able to post. We do recommend you starting a new topic to find out what's new in the world of umpiring.

I just received notice that I will be the lead official next Saturday for one of the state finals in women's volleyball. Just like good baseball, good volleyball is a joy to officiate. Most of the time, the game calls itself.

I will do my best to not suck!

• Like 4

• 2 weeks later...

Officiating state finals in volleyball was a great experience! The atmosphere was electric. The teams were unbelievably talented. The players were intense, and the stands were packed with some interesting and enthusiastic supporters! And the volleyball was awesome!

I had four ball handling calls, two which were so obvious anyone could have called them. Thankfully, the match called itself. After the match I spoke with a friend who officiated another of the matches and he said....... and I quote....." You didn't suck! Nice job."

My wife said, "No offense, but that match could have been played without you." She was right, but it wasn't. The most difficult part of the day was the hour leading up to the match dealing with my own butterflies, but once the whistle blew, it all became just another match.

The hardest part of getting to officiate that level of match has been done. The state assignors now know who I am and can trust that I can handle myself and a match in that environment. I can't wait to get back there again!

• Like 3